Is Aspergers Syndrome more disabling than Down Syndrome?

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 10:21 am

We have Hitler to thank for the mess that humanity has gotten itself into. If Hitler was never in power, many more people would respect all human life and not just the lives of "perfect babies".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 10:55 am

If the question is "which is more debilitating?" then the answer is that even the most severe aspie has it much easier than the highest functioning DS.
If your aspergers were bad enough to handicap you to the level of a DS person then you wouldnt be classified with aspergers, but with low functioning autism (which is different, but overall very comparable to DS as a disablity, generally speaking).

But if the question is "which is more emotionally stressful to the person with the disablility?" then its hard to say.

DS even have an imediately recognizable odd physical look. And thier handicaps are also obvious from the first seconds you encounter the person. So society make allowences for them.

In contrast aspies look normal (dont have any equivalent distinctive physical look), and our disablities are subtle( you have to work alongside us for months to realize what oddballs we are). And because we are higher functioning society (and we ourselves) expect more of us than society expects of DS people (and they expect of themselves). But though invisible our handicaps are real so the gap between expectation and reality is usually greater for us than that for DS'ers. So it could well be that aspies may have more emotional stress from thier disablility than do DSers generally speaking.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

Thank you naturalplastic, very good post.

I think you are right on the emotional stress.

adriantesq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2014, 11:40 am

Penn State University published a research report last week that children with autism spectrum disorder are 25 to 30 times more likely to contemplate suicide than children without autism spectrum disorder - i personally don't think suicide is disabling but others might

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm

adriantesq wrote:
Penn State University published a research report last week that children with autism spectrum disorder are 25 to 30 times more likely to contemplate suicide than children without autism spectrum disorder - i personally don't think suicide is disabling but others might

I definitely would believe those numbers.

Suicide not disabling? You mean when you are dead anyway? Or it is not disabling to have suicidal thoughts?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 1:03 pm

qawer wrote:
I wonder whether Aspergers Syndrome is in fact over all more disabling than Down Syndrome in todays society?

Being socially disabled seems to be a huge handicap in todays society. Obviously people with Down Syndrome have their own substantial problems, but they seem to actually do much better socially, seem to be more liked, in part because their disability is visible, in part because they seem more happy in social settings (perhaps because they, due to their typical low IQ, do not fully realize their low position in the social NT hierarchy the way AS people do). They often seem to be quite happy.

Two questions:

1. Do you think Aspergers Syndrome is more disabling than Down Syndrome in todays society? Why/why not?

2. Would you rather have chosen to have Down Syndrome or Aspergers Syndrome if you had had the choice at birth? Why that choice?

I've worked as a caretaker at a sheltered housing. Down's syndrome is a serious disorder, and the average IQ of an affected invidivual is 53. Whether or not a person with Down's syndrome is "happy" or not, depends on a lot of factors. First and foremost, it depends on whether he's aware of his own condition. Second, it depends on his surroundings; if he's surrounded by caring and loving people, he'll be happy--if he's surrounded by as*holes, he will not be happy. As a rule of thumb, pretty much anyone who falls into the mild MR category (85% of all mentally ret*d people) are aware of the fact that they're mentally ret*d. I've yet to meet a mildly ret*d person who's proud of his mental retardation.

While I'm not familiar with the American school system, a person with an IQ of less than 70, generally will not be able to adequately understand any curriculum past the 4th grade. If someone with a diagnosis of MR passes just one subject in 8th grade, the norm states that he needs to be screened again.

A person with Asperger's can work with the right facilitation and can also live independently, pay his own bills and have a family (a lot of the people on this board have proven this). There are currently no people with Down's syndrome in Norway employed in "regular" (i.e. non-sheltered) working conditions here in Norway. There's a whopping number of two mentally challenged people employed in normal jobs here, out of five million people.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 1:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
We have Hitler to thank for the mess that humanity has gotten itself into. If Hitler was never in power, many more people would respect all human life and not just the lives of "perfect babies".

You've not done much research into eugenics have you? Hitler didn't start the idea.

Poor motivation

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

I don't really see much point to comparing the lives of people with Down's syndrome and autism. It doesn't really help treat people with either of the conditions, and desperately seeking to know which of us has it 'better' or 'worse' seems a tad juvenile to me. I'm more concerned with ensuring that all of us receive the accommodations and supports we're entitled to. Besides, I'm not sure if they can adequately be compared considering that the conditions are so different and both of them can vary so much.

cavernio wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

You've not done much research into eugenics have you? Hitler didn't start the idea.

No, that was Francis Galton.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 5:21 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
The notion that people with Down's are 'happy' in general, is a surprisingly tenacious misconception. Especially among people with Down's who've passed the adolescent stage, depression and anger outbursts are a common phenomenon.

My sped teacher friends have said they would take double amount of DS kids if they could lose one of the Aspie/Autism kids. Not PC, but I've heard that more than once.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 6:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Attention all aspie readers:

If someone were to ask you "do you envy people with Down's Syndrome?" what would be your answer?

This aspie's answer to that question is "Are you friggin nuts? Ofcourse not!".

Well, in the sense of being envious that they actually get help other than "You're smart, figure it out for yourself"....?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm

cavernio wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Don't you have anything better to do than cornering sensitive souls all day?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 8:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But if the question is "which is more emotionally stressful to the person with the disablility?" then its hard to say.

DS even have an imediately recognizable odd physical look. And thier handicaps are also obvious from the first seconds you encounter the person. So society make allowences for them.

That was a good way of explaining it. I think im getting this concept better now.
Like someone with DS is less conscious of the world around them while the person
with AS kinda gets slapped in the face with it.
And i have that too to an extent. I have been sheltered and not had to deal with the world
at large so far. Even now that i am in public school, im still pretty sheltered.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 9:39 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Hitler just represents the "ultimate" of what our society represents: only the best race should survive - only in our society it is the people with highest social status that should survive.

We live in a Hitler society, always will. The weakest individuals are now what the jews were before.

Last edited by qawer on 17 Jan 2014, 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 9:44 am

The main cause of disability from Down's would be the intellectual disability (heart problems and whatnot can often be fixed nowadays).

So, it'd be the same thing as comparing basic mental retardation (usually mild to moderate) to someone with AS.

In that case, I'm guessing those with Down's may have a better "outcome" based on social contacts and gainful employment, overall. And IIRC, that seems to be the case from many of the studies I've read.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:02 pm

weird question...
downs is more disabling using both the social and medical models of disability as they have basic functioning difficulties although may still be under the label of high functioning,aspies only have functioning issues through other causes such as anxiety,executive dysfunction,never having been taught the right skills due to being misunderstood etc.

downs is obviously visible and many people with it also have significant health problems,they get heart issues and diabetes easily and because of their dna makeup are also prone to getting dementia prematurely.
whilst a lot of people on the milder end of the spectrum wish their asd was visible they dont realise the price that being visible to society costs,downs carries a huge stigma and people still judge their abilities purely on their look-they are spoken to with the same respect they give to children,aspies at least can blend in at a far better rate than adults with downs,even adults with mosaic downs [a mild form with less visible signs] dont have a very compareable history to aspies.
have been schooled with/lived with/been friends with people with both downs and mosaic downs and known many aspies-they have very different upbringings.
people with aspergers are very rarely under estimated in the way that people with downs are and this is what disables so many disabled people,have said a few times on here before but one lad with downs that used to live with was in his forties and he was in the low end of the high functioning bracket-however staff had a very different view of him and when he asked if he coud get his own laptop after trying mine out they said he had downs so he coudnt do anything for himself-at fifteen years of age he sucessfuly stole a milk float and drove it down the street,he has a sucessful relationship and is very smart in a lot of areas-its not the downs that disables him its the attitude from others.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm

qawer wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Hitler just represents the "ultimate" of what our society represents: only the best race should survive - only in our society it is the people with highest social status that should survive.

We live in a Hitler society, always will. The weakest individuals are now what the jews were before.

That's just your opinion. I don't believe that there are weak people and strong people. I feel that all man is created equal. I feel that Hitler has done a lot of damage to the world. What era are you living in? I feel that all people who are conceived should have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You don't kill someone, just because they're handicapped. I feel that all people who are conceived and born are strong and everybody has the strength and will to survive. I don't believe that anybody is weak at all. God gives all people free will, whether they're disabled or not, and just because people are disabled in any way doesn't mean that they're weak. I also prefer the company of the special needs people that you call weak. I love special needs people so much, that I call them Sid after the Flushed Away character. I feel that it's very horrible the way the world thinks of special needs people. I don't see special needs as the weakest link. I see them as an asset to society. People are more important than money and people are money. The world needs special needs people. There are a lot of special needs people who work. Okay, maybe they don't work with the big guys. My point is that people with all disabilities should be born and they should be given opportunities to work for salaries. The hiring of all people helps the economy. I love special needs people. I don't see them as weak. That's why I'm against abortion, euthanasia and assisted suicide. There is no surplus population and the world is going through a demographic winter. Everybody should be brought into this world. God makes no crap. This is just my opinion. There is also no such thing as a Master Race either and I hope it never gets to that point. The world would turn into a big gory mess if the legacy of the Holocaust was to continue. I'm sure that special needs people and seniors resent being called weak and their probably very angry that many people still see them in that light. Nobody on this planet is a Useless Eater in my opinion.