Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:16 pm

Marcia wrote:
My son was diagnosed with Aspergers according the WHO ICD 10 criteria. His sensory processing issues, which are deemed to be complex, were assessed separately and were not required for the diagnosis of Asperger's.

Asperger's is about deficits or difficulties with social communication. Sensory issues are commonly associated with autism and Asperger's but not always.

The new DSM5 criteria included sensory sensitivity as part of the "restricted or repetitive behaviors and interests" (RRBI). They are an optional feature, but they count towards a diagnosis. A person must have some RRBIs to be diagnosed with ASD, and sensory sensitivity counts as one of those.

The next ICD (ICD-11) may do the same, although it is not due until next year (2015).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:48 pm

What is ICD?

Wreck It Ralph

Gizalba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2014, 8:31 am

skibum wrote:
What is ICD?

ICD stands for the International statistical Classification of Diseases and related health problems. Quite a mouthful of a name - in the UK it seems to be up to the professional whether they use the ICD to help with diagnosis of mental/neurological disorders, or the DSM, or some consult them both.

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2014, 8:44 am

I think the social deficits are definitely a symptom, but they are not the thing itself.

It's the weak sense of one's own self that leads to the social deficits/stigmata.

If you don't have a very coherent sense of your own persona, you don't have a social self to project onto the world around you.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 9:11 am

Gizalba wrote:
skibum wrote:
What is ICD?

ICD stands for the International statistical Classification of Diseases and related health problems. Quite a mouthful of a name - in the UK it seems to be up to the professional whether they use the ICD to help with diagnosis of mental/neurological disorders, or the DSM, or some consult them both.
Thank you!

Wreck It Ralph

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 10:19 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
for me, i think these basic traits NEED to exists

Communication difficulties
Sensory Sensitivity or Hypo sensitivity
Obsessiveness and compulsion
Immature Emotional Understanding
1) Extremely strong talents to specific things and not in others
2) Body movement and cordination issues.

ive said this before, autism has become a Trend diagnoses and really needs to start being taken more seriously.

Some things I take issue with:

1) This is really a semantic point, but I'd rephrase this as something closer to having a particular style of mental function that lends itself much better to certain activities than others. As someone else mentioned, not everyone has some super special gift. It's language like that which tends to support the inaccurate idea of everyone with autism being a savant or secret genius at something. That idea, while one of the few positive stereotypes about aspergers, is indeed frequently inaccurate and can definitely be harmful to someone who has special interests that wouldn't be traditionally categorized as talents or skills.

2) This I just disagree with. Maybe I'm some sort of unusual or exception (I'm also the--in my experience--rarer extreme verbal thinker) but at my best I can perform bizarre and incredible feats of coordination. Just this morning I was texting with one hand and making scrambled eggs with the other. The caveat that pulls the scene back to aspergers is that I was at work risking burning myself (or my clients' breakfast xd) because I was derailed by texting about a special interest at seven in the morning. I also took incredibly well to martial arts, which itself was a special interest for the first 17 or so years of my life (thanks to Power Rangers and the Three Ninjas xd).

Hell, it probably returns to the semantics of (1). Some people are psychologically predisposed to be highly coordinated, while others are just the opposite.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:06 am

The body coordination and movement issues is interesting for me. I am very good at sports, even achieved a red belt in Tae Kwon Do before moving from the place I lived in when I was on the Tae Kwon Do team. I tend to be good in many sports and pretty coordinated in them but I stumble a lot just walking. I sometimes trip over my feet and stub my toes more than most. I have also played piano and other instruments and I can type decently but sometimes I fumble with my hands doing simple things. So it can be inconsistent for me.

Also with the talents thing, I am not extraordinary gifted in anything but there are things that I tend to be predisposed to learn easier and quicker than others. I have been able to pick up languages easier than my siblings and also certain sports. So even though I am not like an amazingly gifted person, there are things that come naturally much easier for me and many people are surprised by how I can pick up certain things. I always seem to be slower than everyone else as well. I can swim for hours but I have never been fast, same with walking or running and even biking. I even got fired from a job once because I was too slow at putting items on the shelves in the store.

So maybe that is more along the lines of what these two things are talking about.

Wreck It Ralph

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

Fogpatrol wrote:
I think there might be a difference between someone who get diagnosed late in his life compared to someone with a diagnosis as a child. The first will have learned alot of coping mechanisms because he was not aware of his problem, while the later will have more tools specifically designed to help him with his problem.

Hi Fogpatrol,
Also something I have observed is that people that were diagnosed as a child & put into "special schools" manifest more ASD characteristics when it comes to daily living.
I suspect it is because such persons had role models of people like themselves & copied behaviours (some positive & some negative). Whereas people that went to mainstream schools copied NT's, and therefore learnt how to mimic NT behaviour (artificially but none-the-less convincing), and therefore blend better in with NT society than people that had only other ASD people to "copy".

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 3:10 am

Verdandi wrote:
think about how utterly clueless I was about my social difficulties - like my social impairments impaired my ability to understand what was going on when social situations went pear shaped.

If someone says they don't have social difficulties, they may simply not know what to look for.

this is true. I thought I had wonderful social skills, until a number of people told me that I was inappropriate, or lacking in concern or kindness , or that I would say the wrong thing, etcetera. In other words I was so tone deaf to social communication that I didn't even know how bad I was at it.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 4:47 am

whalewatcher wrote:
I think the social deficits are definitely a symptom, but they are not the thing itself.

It's the weak sense of one's own self that leads to the social deficits/stigmata.

If you don't have a very coherent sense of your own persona, you don't have a social self to project onto the world around you.

I think I don't have a social self, but I do have a sense of self, just not a social sense of self that I can project unto the world.