Eating healthy with food intolerances

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Stryla
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2014, 7:57 pm

Over the last couple of months ive made efforts to lose weight and get healthier. I have succeeded in walking more and just being generally more active. The problem im having is eating better. The foods I actually enjoy eating dont include much in the way of fruits or veggies. I like potatoes and corn (both very starchy), but dont care for the texture or taste of any other veggies. My problem with fruit is discolored spots and time it takes to prepare. I can eat an apple a week, or a handful of grapes every few days, but not regularly. I like bananas but they make me gassy. I can eat salad a couple times a week, but not every day (tried that this past few months).

So, any ideas on what I can do to make fruits and veggies more palatable and fit better into my lifestyle? I find If i just try to force myself to eat them, then I wind up just not eating at all because I dont want to eat that crap. LOL.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

Your situation reminds me of how I hate eating eggs, even though I know that they are a good, economical source of protein, and how I don't like drinking milk, even though it's a good source of calcium and other nutrients. I would probably be stronger and feel healthier if I consumed those things more often, yet it's hard to get myself to. I'm starting to warm up to eggs somewhat, though I still find that I have to "mix" them with something else to get myself to eat them. As for milk, I actually like it mixed with coffee or chocolate mix, though most of the time when it's presented to me, it's only available straight-up.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm

Smoothies. My family has smoothies everyday with spinach, protein powder, frozen fruits, and green tea. It's actually delicious and you can get a ton of spinach then.

Other ideas is having coleslaw with tuna. Pre packaged tuna and mix it with mayo and then put it on some store made coleslaw from the deli counter.

Canned green beans, peas, and carrots are a nice soft texture and I enjoy them. (I don't like crunchy vegetables)

Broccoli sautéed with butter and garlic powder is yummy.

Salmon is also good

Hope some of these suggestions are good. These are all foods I eat regularly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 10:18 pm

invest in a vitamix machine. then put all your veggies and fruits through it. drink your nutrition.

Stryla
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2014, 11:44 pm

The lactose intolerance doesnt help, but I discovered the joy of the earl grey latte last month, and milk alternative lactaid, and ive been consuming more milk the past 2 months than the past 10 years combined.

blended veggies may have to be the way to go. Im working on fish, but so far a no go on that either. But I figure If i keep trying different ones, something may stick as being edible. Or maybe I should try fishsticks, havent had those since i was a kid.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 10:07 am

Fish sticks are delicious.

Some other suggestions is buying soup. Soups with lots of veges in it. Also, chili is a good option since it has tomatoes, onions, and beans in it and protein with the meat, I put corn in mine as well and it makes it like a chili corn chowder. Id also recommend buying a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store because they're delicious and it'll last several days. You can slice the chicken and put it on an already prepackaged salad (fresh express is a good brand of salad kits), or put it in a simple stir fry dish with fried rice with sautéed broccoli, red pepper, and onions. Crock pot meals are nice because you can walk away from it and you're not slaving away at a stove for hours. Some good crock pot meals is beef stew or pulled pork. You can also do ribs in it or turkey meatballs. There's many things you can do with a crock pot. Good luck!

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2014, 3:27 pm

I found that the answer for this (especially with gluten and lactose intolerance) was Asian cuisine. I make a lot of fried rice and/or stir fry dishes. Also I've found it easy to disguise veggies in pasta sauce.

I try to simply add more veggies and fruits into everyday dishes, especially those with strong flavors instead of just eating them as a side. Soups are a great way to get rid of any leftover veggies.

Smoothies are great, but can become super pricey very quickly and often rely on more sugar than I'd like them to. Add in the lactose intolerance which prevents many smoothies from having that nice creamy texture and I just don't consider it worth it for me.