Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

When I'm very upset, everything I sense is even more heightened and rankling than usual. My mom always yells unnecessarily, but while I'm upset, her talking is just even more loud seeming, and I don't want my blinds to be open, letting sunlight into my room, and everything just seems to get too bright, and every sound irritates me more than usual and feels louder, and it just makes me more upset and or mad.
Does this happen to you?

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 4:20 pm

We live in a constant state of heightened sensory receptivity (current research indicates the autistic brain has more neural sensory connections than the neurotypical brain), it's the reason why we tend to suffer from anxiety disorders as well.

When you live with the sensory volume "turned up to 11" all the time, you may learn to "get used to" everything being too intense, and sort of intentionally zone out most of it, but it only takes a little push - like becoming emotionally upset - to send the brain into a state of overload that it just can't cope with. Then all those things that your brain has been working so hard to try to ignore can't be ignored anymore and suddenly you realize how LOUD everything really is. 8O

I think that's why we function better when left alone. If there are no other people adding to the sensory 'noise' level, it's easier to cope with the too high volume of input we're already experiencing. When you start adding people and social cues to that, it's just too much to juggle. :shaking:

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 4:23 pm

I know that sometimes when my dad and I are in the middle of arguing, his voice suddenly becomes painful to my ears to the point that every time he speaks, my ears throb and hurt and I have to cover my ears which of course makes the situation worse...

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 4:24 pm

Willard wrote:
We live in a constant state of heightened sensory receptivity (current research indicates the autistic brain has more neural sensory connections than the neurotypical brain), it's the reason why we tend to suffer from anxiety disorders as well.

When you live with the sensory volume "turned up to 11" all the time, you may learn to "get used to" everything being too intense, and sort of intentionally zone out most of it, but it only takes a little push - like becoming emotionally upset - to send the brain into a state of overload that it just can't cope with. Then all those things that your brain has been working so hard to try to ignore can't be ignored anymore and suddenly you realize how LOUD everything really is. 8O

I think that's why we function better when left alone. If there are no other people adding to the sensory 'noise' level, it's easier to cope with the too high volume of input we're already experiencing. When you start adding people and social cues to that, it's just too much to juggle. :shaking:
This makes total sense and answers my question about this too. I was wondering why I do so much better when I am alone. Thanks Willard. You are always teaching me stuff here. :)

Wreck It Ralph

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 4:49 pm

Willard does teach things

~~~
~~~

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

MadeUnderground wrote:
and I have to cover my ears which of course makes the situation worse...

I do that, and it does make the situation worse sometimes.

~~~
~~~

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

This is common and not specific to people with ASD.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
This is common and not specific to people with ASD.
That is true. But I think for us it is even worse since we are operating at higher levels of intensity like Willard said. And to add to what he said, I know that for me, it's not just sounds and social cues but also the visual movements of others can be taxing as well.

Wreck It Ralph