I feel sorry for all the sad members on here.

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2014, 8:29 pm

Remember, be happy. This is what I wished I could learned a long time ago.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

Oh. I'll just stop being sad then. Sorry to be a bother.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm

I'm not sad. I look like Mick Avory. :| :lol:

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 25 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

It's not as easy for some people on here to instantly be happy. I do share your positivity, though. :)

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

This thread is going to get locked (I predict). When it comes true you can all send me big bucks to further predict your futures.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm

Do't you think that's just a tad condescending, what with you not knowing what anyone else might be going through?

IceKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2014, 9:23 pm

Am I the only one who is not offended by GinBlossom's attempt to tell us to stay positive?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 9:28 pm

I don't think we should take offense to GinBlossoms. He is just trying to encourage that is all. It is true that many people are having a difficult time and we can certainly respect that but I can't imagine GinBlossoms has any intention of deliberately offending anyone. So perhaps we can just accept that it is just an attempt to encourage others. Thank you GinBlossoms for trying to be encouraging.

Wreck It Ralph

IceKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2014, 9:32 pm

It's easy to misunderstand things. :)

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2014, 9:47 pm

Thanks for the pity, what do I owe ya?

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2014, 10:00 pm

GinBlossoms wrote:

I also don't feel like this was an attempt to be condescending or mean.

*Warning*
Do not continue reading if you value your sanity.
*End Warning*

Lets take a look at the first sentence of this statement. The very first word of the statement is, "Remember". According to Marriam-Webster, the word remember is defined as, " to have or keep an image or idea in your mind of (something or someone from the past) : to think of (something or someone from the past) again". The rest of the sentence is a simple statement or philosophy of, "be happy". Because of OPs use of the word remember before the statement and its definition we can come to the conclusion that they are telling us to hold on to the idea of happiness or to think of it repeatably (use of word again) in order to reinforce this idea within ourselves. This would be a form of conditioning our minds to focus on happy ideas, thoughts, or beliefs and thus changing our focus on the negative to the positive. In short, "Remember, be happy" guys!

*I warned you*

The second part is, "This is what I wished I could learned a long time ago". With this statement we can come to the conclusion that OP struggled with depression as well. Notice the use of OP's words, "wished" and "learned". These are all past tense and explains to us that OP did in fact obtain the advice or truth of the first statement. With the use of the last words in the sentence, "a long time ago" we can can also assume that it took a great deal of time to overcome their struggles. OP did not end the sentence with words such as, a while ago, a week ago, or even a year ago. The use of the statement, "a long time ago" naturally leads us to believe the learning process was over a great deal of time.

*Just stop reading already*

Now with both sentences combined you can see that OP struggled with something they see on here regularly (hence the title), shared something that worked for them, and finally attempted to connect by letting us know they experienced a similar struggle over a long period of time and overcame it.

Welcome to what happens constantly in my mind. I'm not really sure if it's my ASD or my degree.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 10:13 pm

-

For those of you who are sad. I dedicate this song to you...

Here's a little song i wrote,
you might want to sing it note for note,
don't worry, be happy

in every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don't worry, be happy

dont worry be happy now
dont worry be happy
dont worry be happy
dont worry be happy
dont worry be happy
aint got no place to lay your head,
somebody came and took your bed,
don't worry, be happy

the landlord say your rent is late,
he may have to litagate,
dont worry (small laugh) be happy,

look at me im happy,
don't worry, be happy

i give you my phone number,
when your worried, call me,
i make you happy

don't worry, be happy

aint got no cash, aint got no style,
aint got no gal to make you smile
but don't worry, be happy

cos when you worry, your face will frown,
and that will bring everybody down,
so don't worry, be happy

don't worry, be happy now...

don't worry, be happy
don't worry, be happy
don't worry, be happy
don't worry, be happy

now there this song i wrote
i hope you you learned it note for note
like good little children

dont worry be happy

listen to what i say
in your life expect some trouble
when you worry you make it double
dont worry be happy
be happy now

dont worry, be happy
dont worry, be happy
dont worry, be happy
dont worry, be happy
dont worry
dont worry be happy
don't worry, don't worry, don't do it,
be happy,put a smile on your face,
don't bring everybody down like this

don't worry, it will soon pass whatever it is,
don't worry, be happy,
i'm not worried

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 10:29 pm

skibum wrote:
I don't think we should take offense to GinBlossoms. He is just trying to encourage that is all. It is true that many people are having a difficult time and we can certainly respect that but I can't imagine GinBlossoms has any intention of deliberately offending anyone. So perhaps we can just accept that it is just an attempt to encourage others. Thank you GinBlossoms for trying to be encouraging.

It's the mindset of people who are struggling just needing to get over it that bothers me, as if it can easily be whisked away and all that's needed is a positive quote here or there. There's something to be said for not deliberately dwelling on a negative subject and seeking out as much of it as possible, and I've seen people who spend their free time collecting news and articles about what they hate to seethe over, but for many that's not the case. They can't just be happy - that's the problem. It's not simply going to go away if they're reminded of the good things or stop being a selfish sack of sadness.

Many people who struggle with depression are met with confusion, blame for their own state of being, and denial rather than compassion when they reach out. What they need is understanding for the bad things and assistance in building themselves up to a point of stability and functioning, not trivial condolences that gloss over the complexity of such a problem and do nothing but make the giver feel good.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 10:45 pm

coffeebean wrote:
skibum wrote:

It's the mindset of people who are struggling just needing to get over it that bothers me, as if it can easily be whisked away and all that's needed is a positive quote here or there. There's something to be said for not deliberately dwelling on a negative subject and seeking out as much of it as possible, and I've seen people who spend their free time collecting news and articles about what they hate to seethe over, but for many that's not the case. They can't just be happy - that's the problem. It's not simply going to go away if they're reminded of the good things or stop being a selfish sack of sadness.

Many people who struggle with depression are met with confusion, blame for their own state of being, and denial rather than compassion when they reach out. What they need is understanding for the bad things and assistance in building themselves up to a point of stability and functioning, not trivial condolences that gloss over the complexity of such a problem and do nothing but make the giver feel good.
I know what you mean. I struggle with depression too and I know what it is like to be depressed and feel hopeless and stuck in it. I did not get the impression that GinBlossoms was telling people to just "get over it." that would be very rude and mean. I really think he was just trying to share an encouragement, very simply. But hopefully no one will think that he was trying to belittle their struggles. I am sure he was not trying to do that.

Wreck It Ralph

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 11:39 pm

GinBlossoms wrote:

I think he regrets the time spent in sadness and is trying to help us not waste our time. It almost sounds like an end-of-life wish.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:00 am

<--- Wants to be happy but he is clinically depressed. He's on meds but they only do so much. Talk therapy is in the works so maybe that'll help.