Organising things/hobby related materials

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:33 am

Do you enjoy spending time organising any collections you own related to your hobbies?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

No, with my sewing materials, I just throw everything into a big pile in the corner. I try to keep some sense of organization with my embroidery materials though, because it's easy to lose the needles and floss.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

I do. I'm an avid reader, and I own so many books that I often lose track of them. So I started using this website called LibraryThing to organize them. It also acts as a sort of reading list; things I want to read or keep in mind for the future.

Ilovemyaspiegirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

I have two younger daughters (5&7) and a 25 yr old daughter. Of the 3, my 7 yr old is the only one dx'd with Aspergers. My 25 yr old has ADHD and ODD (why do all the dxs have a D lol). She's the WORST house keeper ever but, I kinda blame myself because, I was young when I had her and not the best housekeeper (or mom for that matter at times) so I didn't instill good cleaning habits. With my 7&5 yr olds, I've tried to do a better job and consistently have them clean up behind themselves.

When I realized something was "different" about my 7 yr old (she was 3 the first time a Dr. mentioned Aspergers as a possibility) I started researching naturally. I was so happy to see that one characteristic was "liking to organize" WRONG! She refuses to pick up behind herself AT ALL. She will then become VERY upset when she can't locate something and the entire household must come to a screeching hauler to help her find whatever. So, while I love my children (all equally), I'm just so very thrilled that my youngest is at least wiling to help clean. She hasn't been diagnosed with ASD as I don't feel if interferes with her schooling and/or day to day living the way it does my 7 yr old. She (my 5 yr old) does have some Autistic tendencies as I call them. However, hers are limited to smells, tastes, textures and she really like to line things up and organize her special things.

I think as a parent and a NT, I struggle more with how strict to be with my Aspie girl. I don't ever want her to be resentful or feel like I never understood or respected that having Aspergers is a really difficult way to have to live. I guess my fears really stem from knowing her father (my husband) had Aspergers but, was undiagnosed and he wood get so angry with me and he truly resented me. He commited suicide a few years ago after we had been separated for approx 7 months.

So I guess just like with NT children, all Aspie's are very different and certainly don't all conform to Each and every trait in a dx book.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

Aside from my recent "lets get rid of all the clutter hanging around as it's driving me nuts" episode most of my life is incredibly disorganised. Without any routine (which I have to train myself into to stick to it) I have difficulty getting around to regular meal times and regularly taking showers because I get distracted by my hobbies, my sleep pattern can be haphazard as my body clock can easily shift out causing me to sleep for much of the day and stay awake for most of the night, bills get forgotten about and don't get paid when they should, I lose letters for appointments and forget about those too and I even lost the diary I bought to write them all in :lol:

I just love the process of organising all my hobby materials and collections...it can be fun.

They don't stay organised though. I organise, they get messy, I reorganise, they get messy, I organise them again, they get messy....and so the cycle repeats.

In my everyday life I have to use routine to function otherwise I will just end up doing needle crafts or practicing on the piano all day...everything else, except food when I get hungry or sleep when I go drowsy, will be forgotten about and won't get done.

I am absolutely terrible without routine to make sure I do things.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

I have a hard time staying organized, - but my fly materials?....Oh, yes! Order-order-order!