Do many aspies do drugs / alcohol?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

consilience
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2007, 9:36 pm

Like most things in my life I cannot do anything in moderation. So after years of doing various drugs I've been totally clean for 6 months now.

For me, it helped me cope with anxiety disorder and dealing with my "condition". Also, as an Aspie it helped me be more social. Now that I'm sober I went from going out everyday with a large network of friends to never leaving my room with zero friends.

I would think Aspies would be more at risk than the NT community for drug abuse given the social pressures of their situation, an open mind, and a proclivity towards addictive behavior.

So have you or any aspies you know done / do drugs or alcohol?

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 9:42 pm

I used to be addicted to a number of drugs, ecstacy, coke, LSD, percasettes, queyludes, alcohol, and crystal meth mostly..... But I've kicked my habits. In fact the ONLY thing I do now is smoke weed, and occassionally I'll have a drink. So I've did good in cleaning my act up, I would like to think..... I'm a good boy where's my reward :P

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 9:43 pm

I like a few drinks, that's true. While I wouldn't say I have a completely moderate and healthy relationship with alcohol, many of the people I drink with have far bigger problems with it than I.

consilience

11 Feb 2007, 9:49 pm

snake321 wrote:
I'm a good boy where's my reward :P

If you enjoy life you will find it rewarding. If you hate life, at least you always have something to look forward to.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Feb 2007, 11:03 pm

ive done just about every drug exept "huffing".
worst high - heroin
best high - cocaine

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 11:23 pm

I had a moderately serious drinking problem when I was in my very late teens, serious enough to force me to drop out of school. Now, 25 years later, I might have a glass of wine once in a long while (3 or 4 times a year), but that's it. I also smoked weed several times in university, but nothing since I graduated. (And that was in 1985.)

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 11:24 pm

I'm a wuss for relying on cough syrup, if that counts. I also like drinking to the point of passing out.

David1981
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2007, 11:25 pm

I never did any illicit drugs whatsoever. I've never smoked either.

I have drank a few times but never to the point of intoxication. I like Rum and Coke or Bailey's but find beer tastes horrible.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 1:01 am

I never did any illegal drugs. But I drank to the point of blacking out a number of times, and I smoke two or three cigarettes a day. I also took Vicodin when I was recovering from a pretty serious root canal. Now THAT was the feeling of bliss in its purest form. I still miss it, and when I think about those times, a big smile comes over my face.

Geistmann
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2007, 5:00 am

For the last 3 years I was drinking practically every night until I either A) puked, or B) couldn't keep my eyes open and head up and ended up passing out as soon as my head hit the pillow. For me, alcohol was an escape (as I'm sure it is for most people) but it was also a way for me to see things in a different light. I would understand things better like movies and/or music. I'd become so absorbed into whatever movie or cd I was listening to that I would FEEL whatever the artist was trying to convey. Almost like taking me out of my body and put into another. But that all came to pass just recently when my father found a bunch of vodka bottles stashed in the corner of my room. Basically, I have one more chance not to f**k up before I get kicked out of the house. So I have to stop drinking...bleh. Apparently our family has a history of alcoholism so they don't want to see me fall through that downward spiral like so many before me have.

I also chew tobacco...but thats another thing I was told to quit or I'd be kicked outta the house too.

Other then that I never experimented with drugs. I tried marijuana once but I didn't even inhale it right and thus didn't feel the effect...so that really doesn't even count, does it?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 5:18 am

David1981 wrote:
I like Rum and Coke or Bailey's but find beer tastes horrible.

Most lagers do. The only ones I even vaguely like are Super Bock, Duvel and Tsingtao. Okocim isn't bad from draught either. All the others I've tried are either overly harsh or taste like cat pee.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 7:43 am

I don't do drugs nor do I drink alchol

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 8:36 am

Starbuline wrote:
I'm a wuss for relying on cough syrup, if that counts. I also like drinking to the point of passing out.

I definitely drank the cough syrup while I was living with my parents. I would mix cherry Nyquil with 7-up and drink it down. Not the healthiest option, in fact far from it.

Nowadays... well, I got drunk last night and then smoked, so, yeah....

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 9:02 am

Been clean for over 2 years.

Used to drink every day, smoke weed every day and of course the casual stimulants.
Was addicted to coke, tried methamphetamines(holy s**t! worst stuff ever!!) and finally what became my favourite: heroin.

Tried shrooms once but decided to leave it to the homosexuals and tranceheads.

I've reduced my drinking to the point where I drink once a week/once every other week, which I'm proud of.
Been off nicotine for a week, and looks like I'm going to make it this time.

The only "drug" I do is caffeine, which I only use if I am extremely tired and can't get out of bed. So its like a monday wake-up drug for me.
I'm so glad I'm through with the street drugs!

psych
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 9:20 am

Do any aspies use the search function before posting a new thread? :P

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 9:22 am

psych wrote:
Do any aspies use the search function before posting a new thread? :P

No. :P

Last edited by shadexiii on 12 Feb 2007, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.