Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2014, 12:06 am

I'm sure people here do it too. I do it all the time. I can't stop. I was wondering if anyone else does it too. Especially adults. I want to learn how to fix it since it makes wearing professional shoes incredibly uncomfortable (at least my current job is pretty lax about tennis shoes!). I had a lot of issues with pain when trying to wear professional shoes to the point where I couldn't walk after some rough days. Just a question.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 12:16 am

It's can be hard to quit. I toe walk to put a load on my calves so I can bounce a little while I walk and that bounce helps with my stimming needs. The best thing you can do is try to keep your calf muscles relax as much as possible and when stepping down in your walk. Try to keep your foot flat and have both the front and back land at once. Thats how I learned to control it but its just like any habit. You have to work at it to break it.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2014, 1:58 am

Why break it? I see nothing wrong with it. I toe walk up and down stairs, when I have bare feet on cold a cold floor, and when I desire walking precision I.e Avoiding stepping on things.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:59 am

I sometimes do it when I'm at home and barefoot. It was simply too painful to keep doing it while wearing shoes, so that helped me to focus on minding my feet while out and about.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2014, 7:05 am

r84shi37 wrote:
Why break it? I see nothing wrong with it. I toe walk up and down stairs, when I have bare feet on cold a cold floor, and when I desire walking precision I.e Avoiding stepping on things.

I'm a woman and work shoes are extremely uncomfortable for a toe walker. It would make me physically weak to stand in those shoes, and there were days that I couldn't walk without sitting down for 15 minutes because it was so painful. Tennis shoes aren't exactly "good for work" and make you look extremely unprofessional. The habit also leads to chronic problems which I'm already starting to feel the beginning of.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:22 am

Is it uncomfortable for you to walk normally? I don't have good advice since I've never toe walked, it hurts the balls of my feet to toe walk.

I guess my only advice is to seek a physical therapist or something who can help you transition to regular walking. I know they do something like that for kids.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2014, 10:34 am

I've considered it. Now that I'm at a job that *doesn't suck* I might actually have the funds to participate in it. I have to make sure my insurance will cover it though - I will be going on the company insurance and seeing how that goes >.>

It is painful for me to walk and I have a short achilles tendon due to the habit. I've always walked like this. I can stand on my feet but it is extremely difficult to walk on them.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 10:50 am

I toe walk alot barefoot and when i first wake up in the morning.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 10:57 am

corvuscorax wrote:
I've considered it. Now that I'm at a job that *doesn't suck* I might actually have the funds to participate in it. I have to make sure my insurance will cover it though - I will be going on the company insurance and seeing how that goes >.>

It is painful for me to walk and I have a short achilles tendon due to the habit. I've always walked like this. I can stand on my feet but it is extremely difficult to walk on them.

Tendons can be stretched. It will take time.

I don't know what you mean by women's work shoes. If anything women's shoes that tend to have higher heels are better for people with short Achilles tendons. But I suppose that means you'll end up putting more weight on your heel when you walk?

Poor motivation

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2014, 11:01 am

That's correct. Women's work shoes typically do not cover the front of the foot as well as tennis shoes and will not adjust to the bend of your gait. This means that you will walk awkwardly as your shoe will want to do one thing while your feet do another. This is worse in some shoes than others. In addition, the pressure on the heel is very painful and screws with not just my feet but my knees as well, because it is not used to distributing the weight of the body on them, especially against a solid heel. In fact, when you're walking in shoes with heels, you put much more pressure on your heels than your toes. So it is extremely painful after a while.

I've attempted to try to stretch them over time but with no luck, they're very very tight. I've gotten slightly better (I used to not be able to stand on my feet) so it's not impossible. Guess I gotta keep trying.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 11:53 am

r84shi37 wrote:

Because its not about breaking the habit. Its about controlling it. The thing with me is that my toe walking is so powerful that it will destroy a pair of shoes in less then a month. Once I learned how to control it. A pair of shoes now last me a year. BTW: the kind of shoes I am talking about are tennis shoes which have flexible soles. Other kinds of shoes like dress shoes or any shoe that has a rigid sole on it. I would destroy in less then 2 day with toe walking.