Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:05 pm

Rain Man

Mercury Rising

The Boy who could fly

Mozart and the Whale

Is there any other good ones.

By the way the first two on the list there have really nice soundtracks.

Edit this is a pretty good documentary.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtUjoSGa4k[/youtube]

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:43 pm

Marathon (2005) Korean drama
Adam
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
My Name is Khan

I recommend them all except 'Khan'. That movie seemed insulting to me. The main affected character was an exaggeration of all autistic symptoms. Ridiculous.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:59 pm

ben x.
its not got an english language version,its possibly german am geographicaly challenged so never knew where it was from,a lot of autists woud probably relate to at least some of it- a gamer with aspergers in a mainstream school who was badly bullied,he becomes submerged in the gaming world to cope with it and ends up getting revenge on the bullies-though not lethal 'shoot up the school and then themself' revenge.

theres also one called snowcake, saw it years ago,about a woman with high functioning classic autism,reminded a lot of temple grandin as an adult.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love - some very interesting scenes shot from Sandler's character's point-of-view that give the audience some insight into what it feels like to experience sensory overload, etc. Mind you - this character is never identified in the script as autistic, but it's pretty obvious to those familiar with autism. I'm not a Sandler fan, but this is a very good depiction of an autistic character.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:11 pm

Willard wrote:
Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love - some very interesting scenes shot from Sandler's character's point-of-view that give the audience some insight into what it feels like to experience sensory overload, etc. Mind you - this character is never identified in the script as autistic, but it's pretty obvious to those familiar with autism. I'm not a Sandler fan, but this is a very good depiction of an autistic character.

speaking of adam sandler,what about the waterboy? or was that not a form of autism he was pretending to have?

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:45 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Marathon (2005) Korean drama
Adam
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
My Name is Khan

I recommend them all except 'Khan'. That movie seemed insulting to me. The main affected character was an exaggeration of all autistic symptoms. Ridiculous.

Thanks.

And thanks to KingdomOfRats for the Ben X.

And Willard I and the same as you I am not an Adam Sandler fan either.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:48 pm

White Frog

Fly Away

Temple Grandin

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm

Good topic. I thought the autistic character in Mercury Rising was acted petty well
Mozart and the Whale is one I don't know about, I'll check it out
It's been a long time since I saw it, but I wonder if Mary's brother in There's Something About Mary was supposed to be autistic?

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
White Frog

Fly Away

Temple Grandin

Tample grandin forgot that one very good movie.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:08 pm

briankelley wrote:
Good topic. I thought the autistic character in Mercury Rising was acted petty well
Mozart and the Whale is one I don't know about, I'll check it out
It's been a long time since I saw it, but I wonder if Mary's brother in There's Something About Mary was supposed to be autistic?

Mozart and the Whale is pretty good I won't spoil it.

As regards the brother in There's Something About Mary I think it was Down Syndrome however I may be wrong it's years since I seen it.

ziarah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2014, 12:10 am

Snow Cake.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 1:32 am

There is also 'Miracle Run' with Zac Efron in one of the leading roles, which was based on a true story. But it's kind of one of those made-for-TV movies that feature a lot of sentimentality, suitable-for-all-ages, clichés etc. I'd say it's worth a watch, it does have some good points about it, but don't expect it to be a great film. In my opinion both Efron and the other actor playing his brother, do a relatively good job with their parts, but there's some suspension of disbelief required.

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2014, 1:41 am

Doc from Back to the Future
Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club
Bill Pulman in Zero Effect
L from Death Note
Rose McGowan in Planet Terror

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2014, 2:05 am

sharkattack wrote:
Rain Man

Meh. This movie irks me, for a couple reasons. First, it popularized the idea that most people on the autism spectrum are some kind of savant. Second...the person that the titular character is based off, Kim Peek, didn't have autism (although he did have FG Syndrome).

A lot of times, when I try to explain my difficulties on the Internet, people a) think that I can just turn this off and on at will, and that I should ignore the fact that I have a hard time going to meet people, and b) make use of my "autistic superpowers."

It frustrates me how people could be so ignorant, and this movie did a lot to perpetuate these stereotypes. It's not a bad movie, don't get me wrong...people just use it to draw the wrong conclusions.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 2:29 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Willard wrote:

speaking of adam sandler,what about the waterboy? or was that not a form of autism he was pretending to have?

If I recall the film correctly, I think that character had a broad-spectrum intellectual disability, not necessarily autism.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:03 am

Her Name is Sabine
It's a French documentary film by filmmaker Sandrine Bonnaire that chronicles the life of her autistic sister.
It can be viewed on Netflix instant streaming.