what are some traits you do not have,

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:00 pm

symptoms are an important part of a diagnoses, but traits tend to vary, one trait, or symptom, not sure which one, that i lack is the ability to use my information memory to my advantage which some autistic people lack. how about you?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm

I'm not sure what the difference is between a symptom and a trait.

Is eye contact a symptom or a trait?

Is stimming a symptom or a trait?

Is saying the wrong or inappropriate things at a social meeting a symptom or a trait?

Is idiosyncratic speech a symptom or a trait?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I'm not sure what the difference is between a symptom and a trait.

Is eye contact a symptom or a trait?

Is stimming a symptom or a trait?

Is saying the wrong or inappropriate things at a social meeting a symptom or a trait?

Is idiosyncratic speech a symptom or a trait?

lack of in born social skills is a symptom, behaving odd and saying innapropriate things is a trait

sensory Sensitivity is a symptom, covering ears and stimming is a trait

communication difficulties is a symptom, becoming frustrated with words and hanving trouble expressing needs is a trait.

traits can change, symptoms are permanent and consistent

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:10 am

to do my part in answering the OP's question, I lack the ability to multitask. basically.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:15 am

auntblabby wrote:
to do my part in answering the OP's question, I lack the ability to multitask. basically.

but autistic people cant multi-task anyways.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:19 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

sorry amigo but I must differ with you here. I have seen autistic musicians at work, playing either the drumset or the keyboard, both of which require beaucoup multitasking in order to proficiently operate said instruments.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:20 am

If traits =reactions, I don't know for myself.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

sorry amigo but I must differ with you here. I have seen autistic musicians at work, playing either the drumset or the keyboard, both of which require beaucoup multitasking in order to proficiently operate said instruments.

really? hm, the things im wrong about...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:30 am

Florescent lights, and bright lights do not bother me.
I can be in a big crowd and not be exhausted by it (as long as there is no communication)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:35 am

As far as I know, the only one I don't have is that I'm ok with eye contact. But when I was a kid, I wasn't, I made myself do it because my family kept complaining about it.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:45 am

I think what's pertinent is the overall package, rather than having or lacking specific individual traits or symptoms according to your own point of view.
For instance I could say that I don't have a fixed routine. I don't have to watch People's Court everyday at 4PM ala Rain Man. That rather I do things in chaotic manner and fly by the seat of my pants.
But... I think if someone monitored me 24/7 for a month, and wrote down everything I do, there would indeed be a documented pattern of routine and narrow interests; that oscillates rather than being a straight line.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What are you thinking of as separate tasks in playing either of those instruments? (I play the piano, and I am curious because I have never thought about it as multi-tasking....I am usually awful at multi-tasking, but maybe it just depends on the type of thought/skill/task involved?)

Love transcends all.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:55 am

I have no difficulty deciphering sarcasm, humour or figures of speech as a rule. Every once in a while someone will say something sarcastic and I'll misinterpret it, but such instances are rare. Sarcasm as a form of humour is something at which I am particularly adept.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:58 am

animalcrackers wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What are you thinking of as separate tasks in playing either of those instruments? (I play the piano, and I am curious because I have never thought about it as multi-tasking....I am usually awful at multi-tasking, but maybe it just depends on the type of thought/skill/task involved?)

breaking down the tasks for illumination-

*read music
* play along per musical notation [two separate tasks]
*left hand plays bass AND accompaniment [two separate tasks]
*right hand plays melodic and contrapuntal [two separate tasks]
*feet handle damper pedals

for a theatrical organist it is another level of magnitude tougher, in that additional tasks would be-

*feet on expression pedals for each manual/pedalboard
*pistons
*stop tabs
*second touches
*toy counter fx/percussive rhythms not handled by MIDI controller

and for both there is the gestalt of having to play in tune/time with other musicians as well as integrating all the separate tasks into one unified and harmonious whole. way beyond little ol' me, I envy those folks for whom this is all just second nature.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 1:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Maybe with that it's being able to multitask a certain routine. I finally ended up in a job that required some pretty demanding multitasking and I was able to adapt. But there was a set pattern to the multitasking.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 1:14 am

When I played piano, I never thought of it as multitasking. Yes it involves coordinating a lot of different actions but it all directed into doing one task. Some people can carry on a conversation with someone while they play. That's what I would consider multitasking. I was never able to do that.