Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Asperbear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 1:43 pm

I have found the answer!

It is under-stimulation from hypo-sensitivities!! !

This changes my world completely. E V E R Y T H I N G about me makes so much sense now. Already using the knowledge and holy-crap! RESULTS - finally!

http://dreugeniasteingold.wordpress.com ... sensitive/
helpful start for research

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

Asperbear wrote:
I have found the answer!

This changes my world completely. E V E R Y T H I N G about me makes so much sense now. Already using the knowledge and holy-crap! RESULTS - finally!

http://dreugeniasteingold.wordpress.com ... sensitive/
helpful start for research

What are you stimulating when you are lying in bed reading?

I ask because this could help me as well, not to be offensive. =P

Voider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 3:32 pm

Much of the time I come across with "brain fog". These are periods where I have difficulty concentrating on my work or focusing on anyone's conversations happen frequently when I wake up or when I'm exhausted. This also occurs at different intervals when I'm stressed as well.

Asperbear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 5:36 pm

Norny wrote:
What are you stimulating when you are lying in bed reading?

I ask because this could help me as well, not to be offensive. =P

As everything concerning autism the details are not well understood, but it is like this:

The problems are not caused by the understimulation itself, but by the difficulty of the brain processing the other information while it is understimulated. At night in bed with a good book there is nothing going on, so the brain can recuperate.
So in normal situations one has to fix the understimulation itself first, but at night when nothing goes on, well, nothing goes on.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:45 pm

I suffer from brain fog as well. It's so annoying.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2014, 5:50 pm

I've had brain-fog too. Sometimes I think it is 'distress' related. I found that my head would often fog up while I was trying to study and I would also feel sick to the stomach. I do have perfectionism tendencies. So, psychosomatic/somatic issues. However, with my fog I also experienced head pressures - a band on my forehead. All of this could last for hours.

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2014, 6:01 pm

Sare wrote:
with my fog I also experienced head pressures - a band on my forehead.

I've sometimes found the brain fog can be indicative of a brewing migraine, especially if the fog is really bad. (The "band around the head" pressure thing also occurs in migraines sometimes. Doesn't mean there's always a connection, of course.)

Asperbear wrote:

I don't know if this applies to me or not - physically at least, I seem mostly more prone to being hyper- than hypo-sensitive. But I'm going to try and think up ways to see if it helps...

Asperbear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm

Of course there can be many reasons for that stupid fog. Just wanted to make that clear.
That is mine. :)

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2014, 6:22 pm

Asperbear wrote:
Of course there can be many reasons for that stupid fog. Just wanted to make that clear.
That is mine. :)

Of course :)

And different things work for different people, I know that too. But I would never have thought of the hypostimulation thing, and I don't see that it could do me any harm to see if I can figure out a way to use it to help my brain wake up. If not... oh well, no harm done.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm

hmm, that is interesting. I've never experienced a migraine. I do sometimes get dehydration headaches.

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm

Sare wrote:
hmm, that is interesting. I've never experienced a migraine. I do sometimes get dehydration headaches.

I know someone who says foggy brain can itself be due to dehydration. I drink so much water that I'm pretty sure that's not what causes it in my case, but it might apply (or contribute) in others?

Asperbear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm

Stress can also increase the hypostimulation issues.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 8:26 pm

Glad you found a solution AsperBear...one more idea that might help you or someone else: magnesium supplements can help with brain fog.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm

I try to drink lots of water too. Magnesium is great - I take that quite regularly. I was looking at all the sensory/fidget toys available and it seems that I had or had access to a lot of those as a kid. I think it would be nice to get a few of those now (tangle toys, koosh, slinky, stress balls... etc). They're recommended for individuals with kinesthetic learning, ADHD, Autism and sensory issues.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 9:41 pm

Well, I'll go along with the hypo-sensitivity concept as far as acknowledging that not getting out of the house and engaging with the real world enough certainly contributes to my malaise problem, but I most certainly do not just see blobs of color where other people see shapes and I am not compelled to lick the furniture.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 1:59 am

CWA wrote:
My six year old daughter seems to have this. It's hard to tell since I'm not her, but this describes her really well. She was diagnosed with autism shortly before her 5th birthday.

She seems to be constantly zoned out. You talk to her and she doesn't here even when you start the conversation with her name. Even if I touch her shoulder lightly first. Even if I'm right in her field of vision. I usually have to repeat every sentance a few times, I'm not sure if she's not hearing me or if it's not getting processed or what. Sometimes she says "I didn't know you were talking to me" (even though I said her name a few times and she is the only one in the room). Other times, once she has heard me, she forgets 3 seconds later. Literally zones out and has this blank look. Kind of like hwen you walk into a room meaning to do something, but you forget. One time she went to use the bathroom and was in there for 15 minutes. I go to check on her and shes sitting on the toilet still staring blankly off into space. I ask whats up and she says, "I don't know I can't remember" and then I indicate that maybe she was using the toilet and she says soemthing like "oh yeah you are probably right. uh. I'm not sure if I went already." She literally forget if she even did her business. Same thing with her homework. Forgets in the middle that she needs to finish it.

I'm so not sure what to do about this as it's clearly not an intentional behavior. I"m going to keep rechecking this thread to see if anything more is said that could help.

I had something similar when I was in Kindergarten. They noted that I was "consistently inconsistent" with my attention; at times, they could not get my attention at all, while at others my attention was just fine.