OLD news : Not another Massacre? (school) in the us.

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:16 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
Ok, but how does that relate to the topic at hand?

I guess it doesn't. I thought it was going to turn out being more relevant to the topic as I was typing it, then my thinking got sidetracked, and I never looked it over.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:32 pm

Alcohol seems to be a bigger danger.A good number were under the influence when they did it.
Get drunk and depressed and you might jump off a bridge or tall building.
Better mental health care and removing the stigma of seeing a shrink would help lower suicide rates better than anything else.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm

/\
You've got it all wrong. :shameonyou:
Everyone knows that a gun in the home is 1,000,000,000 times more likely to be used against a family member or for a suicide than for actual protection. Seems we're all so stupid and are part of such dysfunctional families that the first thing we reach for, regardless of the problem, is a gun.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:12 am

lol raptor.

i always hate the saying that those with guns are more likely to die from a gun , like duh, those who own cars are more likely to die in a wreck then those who don't own one, so should i sell my car, lol

part of the problem with people getting help is if you seek help your more likely to lose your rights then someone who doesn't seek help. to a lot of people its more important then help.

also defining who shouldn't own a gun via mental illness is a bad road, cause who decides what type of people meet that, should we as aspies have guns, i know republicans would would say no. lucky for most states we live in a innocent until proven guity society instead of a eww you're born different so you must be ______. once we change from a individual by individual basis to mass labeling we lose freedom

its for that and other reasons i'm middle ground or a center leaning democrat. i honestly get hate from both parties and both like to blindly label things they don't know about.

as for suicide, our instinct to survive is quite strong, as depressed as i've got i've never done anything and never will, i just can't even though sometimes it would seem better if i did, there's just several things that prevent it, pain, faith, family, what might i miss if i did, fear of failing and being worst off, i know that i'm not the majority though, but its nice to know when i'm down that i won't every hurt myself, i just mope around for a while till i feel better.

also the tile is misleading seems to be more about suicide and guns then about school shooting.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 9:32 am

sly279 wrote:
part of the problem with people getting help is if you seek help your more likely to lose your rights then someone who doesn't seek help. to a lot of people its more important then help.

also defining who shouldn't own a gun via mental illness is a bad road, cause who decides what type of people meet that, should we as aspies have guns, i know republicans would would say no. lucky for most states we live in a innocent until proven guity society instead of a eww you're born different so you must be ______. once we change from a individual by individual basis to mass labeling we lose freedom

The disqualifier for gun ownership is very straight-forward, specific, and decided by a judge: "does the individual pose a danger to himself or others?" If the answer is yes, then that person shouldn't own guns. Period.

It doesn't happen that often.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
sly279 wrote:

The disqualifier for gun ownership is very straight-forward, specific, and decided by a judge: "does the individual pose a danger to himself or others?" If the answer is yes, then that person shouldn't own guns. Period.

It doesn't happen that often.

in most states it is, however due to obama its changing such as troops coming back if they have pst they are not allowed guns they don't examine them to see if they are a danger, and its not done by a court. in California if you go volunteer to treatment you lose your guns, a lady went in after her mom died, and was out in a week, 6 months later she lost her guns.

and there are those in congress who want to change it to just being diagnosed with something would disqualify you.

i think it should stay how it is which is what you stated, where a judge decides based on evidence, in most cause ie you tried suicide, you committed a crime and used mental illness as a defense.

i don't much like the people that say i and others shouldn't have guns just cause we aspies, its so generalizing. i think there are people on the disorder or spectrum that shouldn't have guns but many more who should be able to. it seems most who shouldn't have them self enforce it .

another proposed solution is to disqualify anyone on government aid, ugh some people on the right.

i guess the problem we have is theres bad people , those bad people do bad things, the current way only usually gets them after the bad things, though some showed signs of problems but were never put in front of a judge/ or failed to be put in nics. i don't think the solution is to blanket list everyone to try to catch a few, but atlast this is the main problem, trying to stop bad people but still protect the rights of the rest.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 9:59 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Even if you could print a gun, you would still need bullets to put in it.

In countries where guns are illegal the illegality of bullets is generally implied.

Making bullets is substantially easier than making a gun, so the point is moot.

I'm not convinced it would be easy to get lead rounds, casings, gunpowder and primers in a country where guns would be illegal.

My deviant art profile

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I'm not convinced it would be easy to get lead rounds

Lead is easy, cheap, abundant, and easy to work with.

Quote:
casings

Are brass, and extremely simple to make

Quote:
gunpowder

you can use the smokeless powder and black powder in fireworks in a bullet with no problem

Quote:
primers

Would be the only potential problem - but they're still not terribly difficult to manufacturer with the shop tools available to any high school student.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 12:23 am

thomas81 wrote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Even if you could print a gun, you would still need bullets to put in it.

In countries where guns are illegal the illegality of bullets is generally implied.

Making bullets is substantially easier than making a gun, so the point is moot.

I'm not convinced it would be easy to get lead rounds, casings, gunpowder and primers in a country where guns would be illegal.

As long as the know-how exists and the machines that can be used to build the machines specific to firearm manufacture exists then there's your guns just waiting to be manufactured. Same for the ammo.
Probably the biggest reason (among other reasons) for the Kalashnikov family of firearms being prolific in the world is their relative simplicity of design and ease of manufacture.
Who needs to import anything?