Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 9:33 am

My job is stressing me out, and I just haven't found the right way to deal with it. I just get so many mixed messages.
1. My production is slightly under goal lately. One day I'm told it's fine, and the next it's not.
2. My boss plays favorites, and I am not on her buddy list. I don't care if she doesn't like me, but I worry about it effecting my job (which is possible). She also likes to flit around socially engaging everyone, which is horrifying one on one.:pale: A couple of people above her appreciate me as an employee, so two points for me.:shrug:
3, When I'm stressed, I have a tendency to self sabotage. If I'm antagonistic in any way, I'll get the "not a team player" label which is worse than a scarlet letter. I like my job and the rest of my coworkers.

Hopefully, I'm just worrying over nothing. It's a big weight on my chest right now though, because I just can't handle all these social intricacies and I hate that I need them.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 10:10 am

Workplaces in my experience seem to always have at least one person that can stuff things up for you, even when your good at what you do. It always pisses me off when I hear someone's playing favorites and stuff on the job. I hope it all works out okay for you

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm

What's a scarlet letter?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 4:02 pm

s-qwerty: Thanks, hopefully it will.

bb: It's a letter of shame, similar to a branding. There's a book set in Puritan times called the Scarlet Letter, where the main character must wear a scarlet A on her chest for committing adultery(with the village priest, if I remember correctly...)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 4:05 pm

Oh right

I thought it was a letter like what you get in the post. :lol:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:56 pm

D#mn it, my web keeps crashing... :x

My boss is just irking me. She is representative of a type of person I usually avoid, because I don't get them. Now I'm puzzling through my NT wtf...

She's all about the superficial. Plays lip service to "the team" all the time.
Is easily changeable..says one thing one moment, the opposite the next.

Deals with nothing directly. Complains endlessly about person A, called person B a b#tch today. These are people directly under her. And this is only when I've been around.

Likes calling the shots, but accomplishes this by complaining/advocating to upper management. Person A sits with her chatting in her office all day, and she's sweet as honey to him. So she complains everywhere else instead of managing.

This is just so foreign to me. She's not some passive wallflower, so what am I missing? I am choosing to view this as "learning experience" instead of "this sucks balls".

Anyone know wtf I'm missing? :(

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 5:49 am

I don't understand how people like your boss can live with themselves. I would feel like a horrible fraud, but they seem to be happy being paid to do not very much. She sounds like a drama queen who enjoys stirring things up and being the centre of attention.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2014, 9:14 pm

A number of "managers" out there are corporate climbing, narcissistic, sociopaths who treat their "subordinates" like crap. It's kinda rare to get a manager who has been in your shoes and understands.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 4:29 pm

So why don't you get your Boss to like you?

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2014, 10:44 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
D#mn it, my web keeps crashing... :x

My boss is just irking me. She is representative of a type of person I usually avoid, because I don't get them. Now I'm puzzling through my NT wtf...

She's all about the superficial. Plays lip service to "the team" all the time.
Is easily changeable..says one thing one moment, the opposite the next.

Deals with nothing directly. Complains endlessly about person A, called person B a b#tch today. These are people directly under her. And this is only when I've been around.

Likes calling the shots, but accomplishes this by complaining/advocating to upper management. Person A sits with her chatting in her office all day, and she's sweet as honey to him. So she complains everywhere else instead of managing.

This is just so foreign to me. She's not some passive wallflower, so what am I missing? I am choosing to view this as "learning experience" instead of "this sucks balls".

Anyone know wtf I'm missing? :(

This sounds to me like a typical boss type, who tends to stay in power for a long time. My advice would be to fly under the radar. Ask her what she wants, say okay, and try to do it. If it doesn't meet her expectations say you're sorry and ask for suggestions for improvement. But remember you'll probably never do things right enough for her because she's just trying to bully people. Stay out of her way. You don't want her to get bored and pick on you more.

This can suck out your soul, however. It's hard to be subordinate to someone like that. You can always look for another job while you're dealing with this one.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 9:48 pm

Hi,

I'd guess you're scaring her. She doesn't actually know how to do s**t herself, but prides herself on "managing" others, which generally means batting eyelashes and sweet-talking. She's very proud of her "management" skills, which are essentially jr-hi emotionalism repackaged. You're impervious to this, which unnerves her.

How to make her like you but leave you alone: She'll leave you alone as much as possible just because you don't play her social game. But if you do something that her bosses like, and throw her the credit for having "managed" you so well, giving you such great direction etc., she'll decide you're on her side and will feel you're tucked away safely.

ETA: Do not give any hit of sarcasm, irony, leg-pulling, etc. while complimenting her management skills or that'll kill the whole thing. I'd suggest trying it out on someone else first.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 8:48 am

tarantella64 wrote:
Hi,

I'd guess you're scaring her. She doesn't actually know how to do sh** herself, but prides herself on "managing" others, which generally means batting eyelashes and sweet-talking. She's very proud of her "management" skills, which are essentially jr-hi emotionalism repackaged. You're impervious to this, which unnerves her.

How to make her like you but leave you alone: She'll leave you alone as much as possible just because you don't play her social game. But if you do something that her bosses like, and throw her the credit for having "managed" you so well, giving you such great direction etc., she'll decide you're on her side and will feel you're tucked away safely.

ETA: Do not give any hit of sarcasm, irony, leg-pulling, etc. while complimenting her management skills or that'll kill the whole thing. I'd suggest trying it out on someone else first.

Wow, Tarantella! That is incredibly insightful good advice. Just really hard to pull off as it feels like lying. I have a person who is not my supervisor but acts like he is and is listened to that, if I could figure out how to compliment what has been to my mind atrocious management behavior on his part I could be much more comfortable.

Now to figure out if there is a thread of how he manages maybe other people that I could comment on in a positive way to do as you are suggesting.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 6:18 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
Hi,

I'd guess you're scaring her. She doesn't actually know how to do sh** herself, but prides herself on "managing" others, which generally means batting eyelashes and sweet-talking. She's very proud of her "management" skills, which are essentially jr-hi emotionalism repackaged. You're impervious to this, which unnerves her.

Thank you, this does sound very accurate. I seem to be doing alright so far by keeping my head down and working my tail off. I also try to keep everything couched in "looking out for the team" terms, which she seems to respond to.

It really surprised me how much politics are involved even in the lowliest and more isolated jobs. I hate feeling manipulative, but in the interest of continued employment I'll weather it. Thanks everyone for their responses! :)