Do you expect people to read your Posts?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:11 pm

There is a thread entitled "Why do aspies...Like talking about themselves so much?" <click>.

I responded:

Quote:
This is the only venue where I talk about myself (well, actually write about myself). Well, this and my journal.

For me, everything I write on WP is also written into my journal. My journal has other entries, of course. But it just so happens that what I post on WP oftentimes reflects my thoughts for the day. Probably, because (at the suggestion of the Psychologist who diagnosed me), I have been reflecting a lot about:

a) What having Aspergers means to me?
b) How do I live my life going forward knowing that I have Aspergers?

The thoughts I post on WP are things I think about very thoroughly. As I want my journal to have a good, clear depiction of those thoughts. So, every entry is carefully worded, reviewed, re-read, spell-checked, etc.

Honestly, I don't expect anyone to read what I wrote. Of course, I like it when people respond to what I write. Because that means my deepest thoughts are resonating with others. However, if that does not happen, I am not certain I care.

Now, this does not mean I don't read others posts. There are some members whose posts I will always read (within a thread of interest). Still, there are others whose posts are simply too long, that I usually skip over.

Do others share similar thoughts? Just curious.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm

I don't expect every single person to read my posts because I sure don't read everything online or on here so why would I expect everyone to read mine? I do expect people will read them but not everyone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

Well for the most part I do post a lot of rubbish, so I don't really worry about whether people read it or not, and I certainly don't expect responses most of the time.

However, when I'm feeling a bit low or if I'm in trouble, I do live in hope that people will read my posts and help me out a bit.

I don't suppose everybody will read them though.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

I don't expect people to read my posts no.

I may be a little off put though if I post a question and can't find the information I am looking for. But that is the only time I get faffy about anything like that.

I am used to people no reading some of my posts, I appreciate I can be verbose. Sometimes people don't want to read a wall of text, but I enjoyed writing it so it doesn't matter.

It's nice when others do read your posts though.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:40 pm

I should clarify. When I start a new thread, I am hoping people will read it and respond. Because I am asking a question to the WP community.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm

Yeah, I want them to read what I write. But I know I can lecture, and sometimes that makes for long, complex posts that some people don't like reading or even can't deal with. I understand that and I can't get angry at them for not wanting to deal with my lecturing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm

It's not often that you see threads with absolutely zero responses though.

I can't always read long posts because my ability to read long posts isn't too good. But I do try, I will at least read the first sentence.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 3:20 pm

Oh heck yes!! ! Where else can I possibly show off than here? I expect all of you, the whole of the Wrong Planet, to read my every word. OK, at least the important posts under a certain word count. :wink:

Seriously though, If I respond to any given OP, I think they deserve to have their post read and considered. Now, we don't necessarily agree with any given opinion, but I do learn a lot. In fact, the Wrong Planet has taught me much about many topics I'd never otherwise know, E.g., vintage French music, computer trivia, turtles and so much more. The important part is sharing insights. I do appreciate each special interest. Especially mine, of course. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 3:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I don't expect every single person to read my posts because I sure don't read everything online or on here so why would I expect everyone to read mine? I do expect people will read them but not everyone.

This.

But I do hope somebody will see what I wrote and say "There is somebody else that does this or feels this way, I am not the only one". I also hope people can see a new perspective or learn something based on what I write. But I don't expect that to happen as often as seeing a similar trait.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2014, 5:13 pm

When I get on wrong planet, I scan through articles and only read ones that either apply to me or that I might have some insight on. Basically, posts that have something to offer me or that I might have something to offer the one who posted it. So I don't expect a lot of people to read it, just those who might have actual insight into it or that think it might apply to them.

Which is why it just doesn't compute to me that people post on a topic that has no relevance to them just to be jerks or change the subject...

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

I will be expecting everybody to read this post.

It is the most important post you will never read.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

babybird wrote:

I just realized. I have a general rule. I will read all the responses posted to a topic I started.

Assuming, of course, that the WP notification service is working (which is not always the case).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
babybird wrote:

I just realized. I have a general rule. I will read all the responses posted to a topic I started.

Assuming, of course, that the WP notification service is working (which is not always the case).

I generally respond to all responses if I start a thread. Not everyone does, For me it's a matter of common courtesy...

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm

I never have the notification thingy ticked.

I just can't be arsed with my emails, so I have to keep refreshing the pages like a woman possessed.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:21 pm

i would expect the thread creator to read what i posted in their thread.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

I don't know. I don't contribute much I just send messages into the void.
I do like it when people respond to my posts.