Group Projects 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
Math Tests 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Other (If you choose this post your answer) 29%  29%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 69

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2007, 10:25 am

I'm a senior in high school, so the torture's not over yet but it will soon be over! My least favorite thing is the way that I've thrown away so many opportunities to make friends. I've been friendless for most of my high school years, and I used to place the blame on other people for that. Now I place the blame on myself - there are many good people at my school and there were many opportunities to make friends with them, but I failed to make much of an effort to act on those opportunities.

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2007, 11:16 am

I realized at a very early age that school was a social skilled event. Wasn't until I went to college that I discovered I was not so stupid afterall...I was awarded a 2 year scholarship and stayed on the distinguished scholar student list for that 2 years. I think because it was not a social event...I studied very hard.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 12:59 pm

The worst thing about school... that I couldn't choose what classes to take and what classes not to take, so I had excellent notes on some subjects and lame ones on others...

Group work... if you don't like groups, you don't like groups, if you want to work solo, you want to work solo, but teachers don't get that and if you don't get a group, they'll assign you to one (to your embarrasment), and of course, that doesn't help you improve your social skills at all, let alone make friends, but it does help you diminish your self-steem...

An d homework. Well, not homework itself, but the fact that every teacher thinks his or her subject is the only one, so they leave you enough homework to let you without a life for the next two weeks, but you have the same a mount of homework for many subjects... and of course, bullies.

Wow, a lot of bad things about school...

AspieDoug
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2007, 10:15 pm

Everything about high school SUCKED! Thirty two years has not softened my memories :cry:

One thing has always stood out, and that was phys ed classes. Throw them a ball and let them play for an hour, complete with bullies and over-competitive psychopaths. What was educational about that? And what exactly did those "teachers" learn in college? :roll: They didn't know anything more about physical education that the average person on the street. Well, maybe less.... :roll:

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 12:19 am

The social interchanges.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2007, 10:42 am

all the social garbage.

i left high school with zero friends. and the year before last i was going to meet with a bunch from my class who get together yearly. when i got to the place, i thought to myself, what am i doing here? these people were as interested in me as they are in fire ants so many years ago. so i got back on my bike and rode down to the beach.

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Feb 2007, 11:09 am

I hated group projects, public speaking, literature, P.E., and pep rallies.

I don't know of all schools are like this, but my school had this weird rule where you had to be in certain areas at certain times. For example, if a loud annoying pep rally was taking place in the gym, we had to go, it was mandatory. During lunch, we had to sit in the lunch room weather we were eating or not. We couldn't do to the library during these times or we would get detention for being in an "un-designated area" or some such non-sense. I really hated that.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 11:30 am

Phys ed had to be the worst...I had this screaming woman gym teacher with a gravely voice and facial hair that never shaved her armpits.

You know the type...you've seen them portrayed in movies...well, let me tell you...they DO exist. 8O

Pep Rallies were torture all that noise, stomping...I really, really hated them and I couldn't get out of them unless I could talk my mom into picking me up early from school.

All that team stuff, group crap, partner projects. I usually paired off with the kids who couldn't care less if I had the choice...they didn't care, I did the work, they left me alone, I was happy because they left me alone, they were happy because I usually got them a good grade. It seemed like a fair trade. :wink:

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 8:35 pm

Like lots of other people, PE was my least favorite class because I found sports to be boring, because I couldn't fit their physical expectations, and because it was the class where I was most likely to be teased. I also hated science classes, particularly physics and chemistry. Waaaay too confusing for me.

Other than that, the people that teased me were a huge issue. There were only about 6 people who really gave me a hard time, but they were inescapable. And I often dreaded fire drills, particularly if I was in a part of the school where the alarm was very loud and obnoxious. During junior year, it became obvious that I feared fire drills, and of course that led to more teasing.

If it weren't for those things, high school wouldn't have been that bad. Really, aside from that handful of people that teased me, I got along with everyone, and I do have some good memories. I also seem to be the only one that liked group projects, as long as I wasn't in a group with the people that teased me.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2007, 10:46 am

Wow! I had it pretty good compared to some of you. Teasing wasn't an issue with me until Junior year in PE class. Anyway, for the most part kids at my school were pretty nice, and if you left the mean kids alone then you didn't have problems. I'm sure it was different for the guys, I think a lot more bullying went on with the guys. I also regreted not making more friends, My Senior year I had more friends than I have ever had in my entire life (granted that still isn't a huge number). Most of the girls I had known since freshman or Sophmore year but I had never really realized the friendship potential there was. I still talk to a few of them on a regular basis and one of them will be tranfering to Bradley (my school) next fall. My advise to Aspies still in high school, if you meet someone that accepts you and listens to you when you talk, pursue that friendship. I know it isn't easy but I belive it is doable if you set your mind to it.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 4:29 pm

Xenon wrote:
Asking me what was my least favourite part of high school is like asking me what is my least favourite strain of ebola.

How true. All of the above as well as:
Homework; I hated this, homework is why I failed High school. I just never saw the point of meaningless busywork when I knew the material better than the teachers.
Going from class to class; the halls were narrow and large numbers of morons tended to clump together making it even more cramped, I felt less crowded in New York.
Every one else going there; I really hate other people.

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.