I have a crazy unusually broad taste in music. Is that ok?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

8bit_c0deSorceress
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2014, 9:50 pm

Lol.
I still remember the time in high school when I brought a mix tape with me to textiles class with songs from Blink 182, Death Cab for Cutie...and one song from nine inch nails.

Would you believe that.

Of course my tastes always evolve, but I do listen to Evanescence, Godsmack and NIN but then just for that it doesn't mean I like Skinny Puppy or Disturbed.
Then I like emo, post hardcore, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Bjork...meh. I used to listen to Avril and still occasionally give her a go but not as much.

I don't know, but if anyone agrees with me then confess your personal preferences that defy the test of love for music. I posted on Facebook once that I think those with the most broad taste in music actually have learned to know about, appreciate and simply enjoy music. If you agree let's get on with this thread ;)

8bit chick

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:03 pm

Based on the examples in your post, I don't find your tastes broad at all. Although it can't all be categorized as "pop music," it's all rather popular music except maybe Bjork.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:15 am

people at work used to think I was weird 'cause of my mix discs which would have anything from willie nelson to Lawrence welk on them. :alien:

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2014, 12:31 am

I think thats cool to be able to enjoy tons of different styles of music. Ill throw on Scott H Biram then go listen to Atheist then go and listen to Hopsin then go listen to jack white, Violent Soho, johnny hobo and cranford nix. I doubt anyone's gonna know all those names so check it out! if you like to discover new stuff that is...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

I will list all the genres I can think of that I listen to: Psychedelic Rock, 60's rock that wasn't nessisarily psychedelic, Occult Rock, Hard Rock, Stoner Rock(yes there is such a thing), Heavy Metal, Doom Metal, Thrash Metal, Goth Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal, Depressive Black Metal, Folk Metal, Viking Metal, Industrial Metal ect. Industrial and its various sub-genres...I am not to familier with all of those or where the bands I like fit. I also like Goth Rock, Psychobilly, various forms of Punk.... Psychedelic Trance(I think that is what its called, but basically psychedelic sounding techno sort of stuff) But yeah that probably does not cover all the music I like.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:51 am

I love the music of carillons and wurlitzers.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:38 am

Over the course of a month I'm likely to listen to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven; Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis; Beatles, U2, Black Keys ....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:44 am

right now I'm infatuated with the big bands.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 2:58 am

Quote:
Is that ok?

No. Don't do it again.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 8:27 am

I possibly got you guys beat.

I've got 98 Gb of music saved over the last sixteen years of my life. 98 Gb doesn't seem like a bit but wait. Let me explain. The total time length of the music is roughly half a year, about 180 days. The largest quantity is 8bit chiptune/mod music. It's roughly 80% of the music I have. In college one of my professors used wget to pull down the mod archive v3 and got about a third of it. I have almost 80k music files. The chiptune/mod music in its various formats(.mod, .it, .yax, etc...) are miniscule compared to an mp3.

The rest covers everything, rap, hip-hop, alternative, oldies, classical, opera, hymnnal/churck(coptic prayer chants, LDS hymn, and others), pop music in all its variations over the last seventy years, science music(I had a song about Bravais Lattice that was pretty good, but it's lost now :( ), chiptunes as mentioned above, metal, rock & roll, classic rock, hard rock, screamo, indie, folk, jazz, video game and tv/movie soundtracks, synth, mixes(megamix, remix, covers), and more

You name a genre and I have it and I've listened to it, or do listen to it when I cycle back around to it. I'm constantly acquiring new music whenever I hear something I like.

I'm not an audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to music. I usually always have music playing if I can get away with it. Back when I had internet at home, I used to spend hours on the weekend trawling the internet for free music to listen to.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 8:31 am

auntblabby wrote:

I love carillons. There is one on the BYU campus in Provo and when I lived near there, my family and I picnicked there a few times to listen to them play various tunes on it. I've also been able to listen to the one by the Marine Memorial as it played some unfamiliar tune when I visited DC for the first time.

The War of 1812 is my fav piece of classical music and includes carillons and a canonade if it's a good performance and the site has the ability to use both.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:53 am

Usually when people say "I have crazy broad tastes in music", it means "I like any type of mainstream music, and am unaware underground music exists". :P No, it's not that unusual.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

stardraigh wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I love carillons. There is one on the BYU campus in Provo and when I lived near there, my family and I picnicked there a few times to listen to them play various tunes on it. I've also been able to listen to the one by the Marine Memorial as it played some unfamiliar tune when I visited DC for the first time. The War of 1812 is my fav piece of classical music and includes carillons and a canonade if it's a good performance and the site has the ability to use both.

I made a composite version of the 1812 overture that has carillons, artillery/cannon, pipe organ, massed brass band and choir. it rocks!

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 9:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
stardraigh wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I love carillons. There is one on the BYU campus in Provo and when I lived near there, my family and I picnicked there a few times to listen to them play various tunes on it. I've also been able to listen to the one by the Marine Memorial as it played some unfamiliar tune when I visited DC for the first time. The War of 1812 is my fav piece of classical music and includes carillons and a canonade if it's a good performance and the site has the ability to use both.

I made a composite version of the 1812 overture that has carillons, artillery/cannon, pipe organ, massed brass band and choir. it rocks!

<.<

>.>

Can I get a copy of that if possible.....

>.<

Please!! !

My Blog
Deviantart Page

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

I listen to death metal, black metal, gothic metal, folk metal, viking metal, progressive metal, avant-garde metal, punk cabaret, post-rock, depressive rock, classical (romantic and baroque)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

I think it's great to have diverse interest in musical styles.

I come from a classical background, but I've taught myself to play jazz. I have a deep love for early modernism in music, which at the moment dominates my spare time in composing. I'm hoping to showcase a variety of more commercial styles I enjoy in an instrumental album I'm putting together.

I'm listening to a lot of Tagerine Dream at the moment…but in the past I've really been inspired by the likes of David Lanz and George Winston--which if you think in terms of classical music it's all about as anti-classical or anti-jazz as you can get, but I can't help it…I enjoy contemplative music.

I enjoy just about all rock and pop from the 80s (no Culture Club, please). Pretty much quit listening to the radio throughout the 90s, and am happy that music in the last 10 years or so has gotten a lot better.

Also listen to a lot of Christian music…HUGE fan of Hillsong, not so much Chris Tomlin. Grew up listening to a lot of Gaither and pretty much every gospel quartet that came through. Step-dad dragged me to every bluegrass event in the area…which is cool for a while, but I can handle it only in small doses. I'd have enjoyed it more if it was more Grateful Dead-like, but it was all more gospel oriented than, I dunno, hippie-folk oriented. I also like SOME black gospel music--in small doses. Sick and tired of Brooklyn Tabernacle, though…nothing against them, but like bluegrass music, have heard WAY too many church choirs cover their tunes. Same reason I'm not a big Tomlin/Passion fan.

I think it's perfectly ok to enjoy a wide variety of music.