How do you know if you're generally considered ugly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:41 am

By society I mean, the people around you, the people you see in the city...

Body language towards you? Hidden gestures? Certain behaviour?

It's kind of hard to figure out if no one is really telling you in your face that you are?

Volterra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2014, 11:28 am

Sometimes when people look me in the face, they spontaneously combust.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 11:42 am

Put a picture of me next to your mirror; the greater the difference between your face and mine, the uglier you are.

I don't know. But I will say that I've noticed a trend on this board of people underestimating their physical attractiveness, people who range from average looking to extremely attractive and all of whom think they're ugly as sin.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm

Check how babies and toddlers react to your face.

Ever noticed that kindergartens often hire "pretty" and cute faces?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:30 pm

Don't they tend to stare a lot at us autistics/aspies?

Judging from what I've read in the past on here sporadically.

I'm still out to determine if it's because of "prettiness" or "ugliness" that they stare.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:37 pm

Well, if someone runs up to you and puts a bag over your head that's normally a bad sign :D

Look, forget about it, ever heard of the phrase 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'? I've been told lots of times that the two things women admire most in a man are confidence and a sense of humor, not looks. Concentrate on these two attributes and the rest will just fall into place.

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2014, 1:27 pm

Uprising wrote:
Don't they tend to stare a lot at us autistics/aspies?

Judging from what I've read in the past on here sporadically.

I'm still out to determine if it's because of "prettiness" or "ugliness" that they stare.

I don't think it's either of those things. I think it's because of "weirdness."

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:33 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2U8yfKM9nY[/youtube]

Flyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2014, 1:40 pm

Uprising wrote:
It's kind of hard to figure out if no one is really telling you in your face that you are?

It's pretty obvious for me. Back in high school, one girl ran away screaming after she saw me in a dim hallway.

VincentRabbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

I don't think of there as being some kind of beauty-scale in the world... Everyone's beautiful to someone. To me people usually grow more beautiful the more I get to know them (as long as I'm liking their personalities).

Last edited by VincentRabbit on 13 Feb 2014, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 4:34 pm

Very few people are actually ugly (Elephant man/Quasimodo ugly). There are burns, and facial trauma that can result in permanent disfigurement that could be called ugly. I once worked with a guy that had half his face purple (birth mark). It was quite striking at first but after two weeks you never even noticed it.

What is generally considered "ugly" is unattractiveness. Most people in the world could be considered "plain". This is generally considered low level unattractiveness. Major unattractiveness might be considered;

1. Fat
2. Short
3. Stupid
4. Nerdy (apparently unconcerned about social acceptance)
5. Out of step (Goth, nose rings, tattoos, etc.)
6. Selfish
7. Humorless

We live in a world shaped by the TV commercial. The guy wanting to sell his products has 30 seconds to get your attention, shape it in a favorable way, and associate it with his product so that you will be inclined to buy it. This results in a constant bombardment of images of "beauty" and the implication that anything else is ugly.

A quick physical assessment usually allows most people to decide if they want to get to know anyone enough to discover deeper traits that might compensate or even trump more obvious visual unattractive traits.

Consider these less obvious qualities;

1. Sense of humor
2. Kindness
3. Understanding
4. Patience
5. Selflessness
6. Forbearance
7. Faithfulness

There are differing ways to measure attractiveness. For example, if someone is only interested in a one night stand, the most significant attribute will be their ability to stimulate arousal.

If a person is looking for a marriage partner to last a lifetime, then deeper qualities rise in importance.

Most people avoid others because they do not have the time to become involved with another person. This can be wanting to avoid a salesman that will take five minutes out of your life. If people avoid you beyond this such that they expend resources like time and effort to avoid you, it may be for any one of a number of reasons. In general, when people avoid you, it is usually because they find something about you that makes them uncomfortable. You don't have to have physical abnormalities to be "ugly", you can be angry, pushy, clingy, political, religious, or even have bad breath.

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2014, 5:02 pm

timf wrote:
Very few people are actually ugly (Elephant man/Quasimodo ugly). There are burns, and facial trauma that can result in permanent disfigurement that could be called ugly. I once worked with a guy that had half his face purple (birth mark). It was quite striking at first but after two weeks you never even noticed it.

What is generally considered "ugly" is unattractiveness. Most people in the world could be considered "plain". This is generally considered low level unattractiveness. Major unattractiveness might be considered;

1. Fat
2. Short
3. Stupid
6. Selfish
7. Humorless

We live in a world shaped by the TV commercial. The guy wanting to sell his products has 30 seconds to get your attention, shape it in a favorable way, and associate it with his product so that you will be inclined to buy it. This results in a constant bombardment of images of "beauty" and the implication that anything else is ugly.

A quick physical assessment usually allows most people to decide if they want to get to know anyone enough to discover deeper traits that might compensate or even trump more obvious visual unattractive traits.

1. Sense of humor
2. Kindness
3. Understanding
4. Patience
5. Selflessness
6. Forbearance
7. Faithfulness

There are differing ways to measure attractiveness. For example, if someone is only interested in a one night stand, the most significant attribute will be their ability to stimulate arousal.

If a person is looking for a marriage partner to last a lifetime, then deeper qualities rise in importance.

Most people avoid others because they do not have the time to become involved with another person. This can be wanting to avoid a salesman that will take five minutes out of your life. If people avoid you beyond this such that they expend resources like time and effort to avoid you, it may be for any one of a number of reasons. In general, when people avoid you, it is usually because they find something about you that makes them uncomfortable. You don't have to have physical abnormalities to be "ugly", you can be angry, pushy, clingy, political, religious, or even have bad breath.

Don't forget being born with Fragile X syndrome, which is like Elephant man syndrome and Quasimodo ugly combined into one abomination.

According to this post and what society thinks, all ugly people needs to be beautiful and just die by their own hands if they can't afford it because they'll never be truly happy. f**k society and I hope something wipes us all out pretty soon! I f*****g hate people!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

timf wrote:

1. Fat
2. Short
3. Stupid
6. Selfish
7. Humorless

1. Sense of humor
2. Kindness
3. Understanding
4. Patience
5. Selflessness
6. Forbearance
7. Faithfulness

I am short, nerdy/geeky and probably humorless.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 5:26 pm

MrOddBall wrote:
timf wrote:

1. Fat
2. Short
3. Stupid
6. Selfish
7. Humorless

1. Sense of humor
2. Kindness
3. Understanding
4. Patience
5. Selflessness
6. Forbearance
7. Faithfulness

Don't forget being born with Fragile X syndrome, which is like Elephant man syndrome and Quasimodo ugly combined into one abomination.

According to this post and what society thinks, all ugly people needs to be beautiful and just die by their own hands if they can't afford it because they'll never be truly happy. f**k society and I hope something wipes us all out pretty soon! I f***ing hate people!

An average man with full fragile X, has an IQ of 40 (although exceptional cases where the man had an IQ of 85 have been recorded); dating would be the least of his worries.

XJ220RACER
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2014, 2:23 am

I really wish I knew. I've never really looked at some random guy and thought "wow, he looks like me". Some girls have told me (my brother has gotten this too) that I look like Robert Pattinson but my facial features are way more bold than his and the famous person I recognize myself the most in is Ian Brown. If having a lot of girls smile at you and like your pictures on FB means you're good looking then yes, I don't have to worry about that.

It's once I open my mouth is when the question marks start flying, starting with my voice.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2014, 1:38 am

Uprising wrote:
By society I mean, the people around you, the people you see in the city...

Body language towards you? Hidden gestures? Certain behaviour?

They wouldn't display it. Noone judges like that. When they do judge and say it's becauae you're ugly, you've offended them somehow and that's just an excuse.