Want to quit...... but just can't.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Muzey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2014, 7:42 pm

I currently work at a Goodwill and have for the past 5 years. I have had two head managers. Both have treated me very different from the other. My first one had treated me with the "fake respect". You can't put it to words but they say things that are some what respectful but you just hear something or see something that is off setting. It doesn't match up to the rest of the way they behave. It felt wrong and off setting. She was fired for a problem with money not showing up at the end of the night.

My current manager has treated me at first very well. She took her time with me and knew of my problems. It has been as of recent that has gotten me on edge. Some things have come up that may or may not be their fault so I am in need of advice.

A friend of mine came through my line and we had a bit of an issue as the card wouldn't go through. She received a text from her bank saying that she was charged. I don't know if it was pending or if she got charged. I initially called a lady manager but she also brought a man manager with her. They looked into it but we have it shown on our end. The thing is the man manager didn't sound professional to me. Though his words were genuine, his tone didn't seem so. I tried to lighten the mood and claim that I understood that she was upset and that she had every right to be upset. Apparently my managers thought I was trying to make an excuse for her. O.o I told her multiple times no. Eventually her girlfriend paid with cash and they left.

The machines had been doing this for a while so I didn't know what we could have done. The register asks for two signatures but the card machine doesn't. We still have this problem to this day. About a couple days later she messaged me on Facebook asking for a number for her to call to complain about the way the man manager was treating her. I pulled out one of the folders from our drawer and saw the District Store Managers number (I do believe that it was her cell) and gave her that and also advised to call the store as best result. A week later, I get called into the office saying that they wanted my side of what had happened. I told exactly as stated before and they wrote me up as a written warning for giving the DSM Cell number. I swear that someone said that that was what the number was for. The number had sense been removed from all 3 binders.

When I was also in the office, they informed me that part of the reason we have been losing customers is because of us cashiers. That we don't send positive messages about the POS System (Kind of hard to do that when the machine breaks half the time. Granted I don't hate the machines, just treat them like any other and take care of the machines in a mature manner), and that we turn our backs to our customers (once in a blue moon I have done that) and that we are constantly asking about breaks yelling to each other over our registers (I actually don't see this very often at all either way) and that I talk too much. I actually don't talk that much to anyone anymore because of the way I got treated prior to these events. I would answer a workers question about the machines and I would walk up to them to tell them what to do and I would get called out for talking. O.o I talk under my breath alot now because I have no way to talk to anyone at all now. I am far too scared to be called out on something that doesn't make sense or something that I don't feel I am doing. On top of that, I feel that the man manager was kind of rude and that my friend's complaint was justified. He had told her that if it didn't go through that he would pay her out of his own pocket. Last I checked this is not legal nor professional. For some reason the lady manager stood by him on his actions though she never would hardly otherwise.

The real reason, as far as I can tell, is because our stuff is too damn expensive. We are a Goodwill. A pair of Lee's Jeans cost almost 7 to 10 dollars. As a Goodwill, that is ridiculous. I can't even afford cloths there and I work there! Part time hours but still, when you can't pay for a winter coat and you have to use the 'Good Points' to get it... there is something wrong. Some of our stuff is pretty cheap such as kids books for 50 Cents but when a leather coat costs 50 dollars at a Goodwill and you are in need of a winter coat that will actually keep you warm... I think you guys get the idea.

As of right now, I am too afraid to quit. I go to school an hour away from home. I constantly feel like I am being watched. Oh yeah almost forgot. We have a round up system. Basically,your total can be rounded up to the nearest dollar and the difference gets donated straight to our program and services. I don't like asking. Our s**t is expensive as it is. So I generally ask when they are really close to the next dollar, so about 20 cents or so would get donated. Our head store manager will watch us sometimes and make us ask for the donation. She will be there for a completely different reason and she will watch me (only me it seems) and force me to ask. She is RIGHT ON MY BACK. I HAVE to ask. People have suggested that if we don't we could get written up. Our Rack Department should never be written up if they don't get there numbers. Cloths are donated... got that... DONATED. If nothing comes in.. they 'could' get in trouble for not getting their numbers. They are the ones suggesting this. None of us should get written up just because we don't get our respective numbers.

We also have a model stock, which makes no sense for a store that takes donations. I just don't get this system like at all.

I have this job part time and school part time as well. I am scared to leave. I got this job via Job Coach. You all are cool and I know you all can help out in some way.....

Help?!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 7:56 pm

can the job coach help you in this regard?

Muzey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2014, 7:58 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have one anymore. It was a small program to get me started. Once I was able to hold on to the job and get the hang of it , I am solo with the job. I didn't think you could hold on to them. It was under special circumstances.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 8:01 pm

can you put out feelers for another job?

Muzey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2014, 8:05 pm

feelers? like put out applications for another job? sure.. but .. Stores out here don't commit to the hours at all. I have a car payment to make. All of my paycheck is gone by the end of the month.. I get like 800 a month. If I can't match that.. I won't have anything unless I don't pay rent to my room mate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 8:12 pm

what a tough spot to be in. I ended up homeless when a job became untenable, living out of my old ford pinto. not a pleasant place to be. but at least I didn't have to worry about a car payment. how far do you live from work?

Muzey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2014, 8:22 pm

about 15 minute high way drive.. and I just got the car too. even if I didn't have the payments.. I need to pay for the insurance. I have to have insurance, its law in Ohio. I have to have a chiropractor.. scoliosis in my lower back.

I have had some people tell me that the fact I gave the number that I did shouldn't have gotten me into any kind of trouble at all. in fact the friend in question just got hired as an assistant manager and said that shouldn't have been ok. I am so confused and have also been advised to call it in to like a business bureau about it.. *shrug*