Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

13 Feb 2014, 3:54 pm

Yeah, as I've said ad nauseum, I am planning to move to L.A. within the next few years. But my question is, is it all that Aspie friendly? Even if it is sort of isn't, I still plan on moving there once I get married, whenever that will be.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 3:59 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Yeah, as I've said ad nauseum, I am planning to move to L.A. within the next few years. But my question is, is it all that Aspie friendly? Even if it is sort of isn't, I still plan on moving there once I get married, whenever that will be.

I don't think so. The streets are laid out in seemingly random order, it's noisy, free parking is restricted by time, paid parking gets expensive, restaurants cater to the able-bodied and the well-to-do, scary street-people are everywhere, and there are areas where it isn't safe for white people to be seen even in broad daylight.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

If you start looking for another city to move to {only if you get second thoughts about moving to LA}, you can scratch Portland off of your list. Portland is not an Aspie-friendly city, though some areas of Portland are nice and quiet, perfect if you have sensory issues.

However, if you're so keen on moving to LA in the future, get in touch with Alex. He lives and works in the LA area.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 4:11 pm

^ Thanks for the tip. :)

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Yeah, as I've said ad nauseum, I am planning to move to L.A. within the next few years. But my question is, is it all that Aspie friendly?

OP, I'm curious, why are you so hell-bent on moving to Los Angeles? What's the draw?

I could understand if you'd visited there many times and it felt "right," but if that were the case, it probably wouldn't matter either way if it's where you felt you belong.

But I think you may be caught up in the romantic glamor that a lot of hopefuls have when they move to Los Angeles. You'll find, on the whole, LA is even more concerned about appearance, social connections, and who's who and who-knows-who than most places. Meaning in many regards, it's actually less AS friendly than other cities. Honestly, I'd say New York is more Aspie friendly than LA.

Again, not trying to deter you. I'm genuinely curious on why you feel the need to move to Los Angeles.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 7:36 pm

^ I just want to find a good place to start anew in my life, where (mostly) nobody knows my name. Seattle is just getting bland for me.

That, or I coulda picked Chicago.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 7:46 pm

LA didn't strike me as the paradise of forever that you seem to think it is. Fun for a while though.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 12:06 am

I like LA.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2014, 11:31 am

I hate LA, and I feel trapped here. Once you move here, it is extremely difficult to move out because of the expense. It's huge, loud, bright, noisy, full of people...the only thing I like about LA is that it's close to mountains and beaches. Yet, the beaches are crowded, and so are the nearby hiking trails. I feel suffocated and I wish I could get out. I personally loved Seattle. We should trade. :) Oh wait...I can't. My husband's job is in the movie industry, and I'm an adult school teacher...neither of us can find these jobs anywhere else. :cry:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 11:43 am

I guess..... I'm still thinking of moving to L.A., regardless. I'm going to feel much more better once I move, whenever that does happen.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

I'm a Los Angeles native, and I would say that some parts are "Aspie-friendly", and other parts are NOT. LA is a huge city, and if you learn it's geography, you can avoid all the places I avoid, and still have everything you can ever need, and see everything. LA is formed by two major "halves"; the San Fernando Valley and the Basin. Basically the Basin (including downtown, west LA, Hollywood, and the South Bay, etc) is CROWDED, LOUD, and busy. That includes the beach communities (not part of the City of LA, but are all part of "LA" as it's known). The San Fernando Valley is also densely crowded and busy in the eastern and southern parts of it, but over all it's newer and slightly less crowded than the Basin.

LA also has good neighborhoods and dangerous ones. Too complicated to be specific about where those are and aren't, but basically in the Basin, you want to live 5 miles or more west of downtown (west of Robertson Blvd), and north of the airport (LAX). If in the San Fernando Valley, you want to either be inside the Burbank city limits, OR west of the 405 Freeway AND NOT between Roscoe Blvd. and Burbank Blvd. The extreme west end of the Valley is over all nice, and so is the extreme north end, and also anywhere south of the 101 in the Valley is nice, but ULTRA-expensive too.

If you want layback and quiet living without crowds and traffic, try Ventura County. You're still less than an hour drive to anywhere in LA (unless severe traffic problems are going on), and you're 15 minutes from various beaches, and there is good public transit to & from LA for Ventura County too.

Charles

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 12:18 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
equestriatola wrote:
Yeah, as I've said ad nauseum, I am planning to move to L.A. within the next few years. But my question is, is it all that Aspie friendly?

OP, I'm curious, why are you so hell-bent on moving to Los Angeles? What's the draw?

I could understand if you'd visited there many times and it felt "right," but if that were the case, it probably wouldn't matter either way if it's where you felt you belong.

But I think you may be caught up in the romantic glamor that a lot of hopefuls have when they move to Los Angeles. You'll find, on the whole, LA is even more concerned about appearance, social connections, and who's who and who-knows-who than most places. Meaning in many regards, it's actually less AS friendly than other cities. Honestly, I'd say New York is more Aspie friendly than LA.

Again, not trying to deter you. I'm genuinely curious on why you feel the need to move to Los Angeles.

NY is loud, crowded, extremely smelly, full of crazy people, and extremely visually confusing.
I worked there one summer when I was 15.

I'd rather live just about anywhere else.
In fact I ran away at 17 to avoid having to live there, although that was mostly about not wating to live with my aunt and deal with my father all the time.

That's just me though.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 4:30 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I'm a Los Angeles native, and I would say that some parts are "Aspie-friendly", and other parts are NOT. LA is a huge city, and if you learn it's geography, you can avoid all the places I avoid, and still have everything you can ever need, and see everything. LA is formed by two major "halves"; the San Fernando Valley and the Basin. Basically the Basin (including downtown, west LA, Hollywood, and the South Bay, etc) is CROWDED, LOUD, and busy. That includes the beach communities (not part of the City of LA, but are all part of "LA" as it's known). The San Fernando Valley is also densely crowded and busy in the eastern and southern parts of it, but over all it's newer and slightly less crowded than the Basin.

LA also has good neighborhoods and dangerous ones. Too complicated to be specific about where those are and aren't, but basically in the Basin, you want to live 5 miles or more west of downtown (west of Robertson Blvd), and north of the airport (LAX). If in the San Fernando Valley, you want to either be inside the Burbank city limits, OR west of the 405 Freeway AND NOT between Roscoe Blvd. and Burbank Blvd. The extreme west end of the Valley is over all nice, and so is the extreme north end, and also anywhere south of the 101 in the Valley is nice, but ULTRA-expensive too.

If you want layback and quiet living without crowds and traffic, try Ventura County. You're still less than an hour drive to anywhere in LA (unless severe traffic problems are going on), and you're 15 minutes from various beaches, and there is good public transit to & from LA for Ventura County too.

Charles

I hope I can make this move work out for me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 1:26 am

LA has a wonderful calming effect on me, I don't know why. Of all the places I lived, I feel most relaxed and happy and at home in LA. My parents live near San Diego, generally considered a nicer city, not an urban wasteland like LA, but I much prefer LA to SD. LA is also bester for me than Boston, even though I like Boston a lot, and it has many merits. Does anyone living in LA want to come to my lab to participate in autism research?

OP, make sure you have a car when you move to LA. And a job or ability to get one that pays enough to live in an OK neighborhood.

aspieZim
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2014, 1:49 am

I'm an aspie (a pretty non-standard one) I live in Orange county which is next to LA and I think it's pretty ok for an aspie.

The only things I really hate about the LA region is traffic jams and the lousy weather. Traffic is bad most of the time, like 7am-10 am and 2.30 pm to 8 pm the freeways are virtually parking lots. The weather... well if you like sun you'll like it here. if you are looking for real weather with seasons, that almost doesn't exist. it's sun vs less sunny. I want weather and seasons, LA is just not for me. I lived all my life here, and I feel i'm missing out big time not experiencing any real seasons or weather.

I've been everywhere in LA, from ghetto Compton to the luxurious Beverly Hills. There's really no dangerous parts of LA, as long as you don't do anything really stupid. If you're stupid, then any part of LA is dangerous, because there's bad guys looking to do bad things everywhere.

Aspie friendliness varies, most of the city of LA and LA county is pretty crowded, loud and busy. Ventura county is a bit far from LA county, Orange County is considerably nicer than LA county and more aspie friendly too. Some of the most aspie friendly cities are in Orange County. It's only a 15 mile drive to LA county or about 30 miles to downtown, it's not too bad.
The region for the most part I think is aspie friendly. Just not the city of LA and most cities in the LA basin. North towards San Fernando, Glendale, Northridge it's pretty nice too.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 2:17 am

equestriatola wrote:
I guess..... I'm still thinking of moving to L.A., regardless. I'm going to feel much more better once I move, whenever that does happen.

Can you afford to spend at least $1,500 a month for rent?