Posting style and reading comprehension

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm

Do you have trouble understanding certain posting styles? If so what posting style do you have trouble understanding. I tend to have trouble understanding posts with a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes. I don't have too many problems with long posts as long as they aren't too boring.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm

I am not exactly sure, sometimes I have trouble understanding posts or what someone means...I have caught myself typing out a response to something then I re-read it and realize I misunderstood it so end up not posting the useless response. Though sometimes I don't realize till after the fact. But not sure its necessarily certain posting styles or my taking things literally or other factors.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:23 pm

Long posts without spaces between paragraphs can be arduous to read! Or direction-less rambling posts.

If I reply to a post, I always do read it though - I think the writer deserves that respect. I do not necessarily mind long posts as long as they are cogent.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:23 pm

I usually give up if it's a wall of text taking up the entire screen with no paragraph breaks.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am not exactly sure, sometimes I have trouble understanding posts or what someone means...I have caught myself typing out a response to something then I re-read it and realize I misunderstood it so end up not posting the useless response. Though sometimes I don't realize till after the fact. But not sure its necessarily certain posting styles or my taking things literally or other factors.

I don't think really have a problem with taking things literally. I do enjoy my metaphors and analogies, but a lot of people here seem to misunderstand them. I have learned to avoid them to avoid further misunderstandings.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:27 pm

I can't understand any part of the Autism Card is Harmful to Humanity thing. If so many people are reading it everyday as she says, SOMEBODY must be understanding it. I don't consider myself dumb, but it's beyond me.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

Ashariel wrote:
I usually give up if it's a wall of text taking up the entire screen with no paragraph breaks.

I used to post posts like that. Now I try to edit down and add paragraph breaks to my longer posts. Now my posts aren't as long as they used to be. Probably because I'm not asking for advice anymore.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

I can't understand the posts in which someone tells a long story about something that happened with names of people and what people said and what people did. Utterly incomprehensible to me.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:34 pm

wozeree wrote:
I can't understand any part of the Autism Card is Harmful to Humanity thing. If so many people are reading it everyday as she says, SOMEBODY must be understanding it. I don't consider myself dumb, but it's beyond me.

I do understand it, but a lot of it is just political mumble jumble. A lot of littlebee's posts are just unedited streams of consciousness. It seems really intellectual at first, but if you actually understand it's obvious that he doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time. He tends to repeat himself a lot. I used be like him, but I learned to make my posts readable.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 9:56 pm

I feel bad for people who have a need to post walls of texts. I'm sure, somewhere in there, they have a point to make; however, that point can get lost by too much information. The wall is then left unread, which is too bad considering the trouble they went through writing it.

Also, some people post without using punctuation marks at all. It makes me want to pull out my hair but I have to grit my teeth and understand it may be a learning disorder.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 10:26 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Also, some people post without using punctuation marks at all. It makes me want to pull out my hair but I have to grit my teeth and understand it may be a learning disorder.

Yes. Same for severe spelling and grammar errors that make posts nearly incomprehensible. I have to remind myself that sometimes, English isn't someone's first language.

I also have trouble w/ long detailed stories and walls of text.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm

On scientific with a lot of terms and long drawn-out posts.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm

Spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors do not seem to cause me too much trouble.

No spaces between paragraphs is the only thing that would make me avoid a post altogether.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 4:52 am

Posts with bad spelling and grammar are difficult.
But lots of times that is due to the author not having English as a first language.

The main difficulty is with a giant block of text.
Especially a giant block of text that is entirely the author's point of view - and you have to try seeing things the way the author sees them to be able to understand what they are talking about.

And then the posts that are like a school term paper with subsections and different factors and such.

Lots of times I want to reply: That is way too long. That is way too boring. That is way too complex. Good grief, that is a book.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 5:06 am

have got poor reading understanding overall regardless of posting style
and if have not understood the point brain tends to pick up on key words and build the story that way.
do find those who use complex words the most difficult to understand as its like browsing a foreign language forum.

apologies to anyone who finds mine difficult.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 7:45 am

I'm not bothered by bad spelling and grammar at all. I'm one of those people with such issues. I try to understand everybody's posting style. I have problems comprehending posts that are more advanced, though I'm working on that.