Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

Raziel wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
I do have "magical" thinking, but I barely ever have paranoia. Sometimes I feel like there is evil energy going after me when I'm alone in the dark at night time, but that never involves hallucinations.

Paranoia is the worst. :(
Did you ever have hallucinations? I had them, on rare occasions, but are not typical. I've mostly just the feeling that the world is bizarre and a strange place. Consciously I don't believe in magic and all that, but subconsciously it comes up in certain moments.
So I probably do fit into schizotypal PD, but my schizo-symptoms are mostly just mild.

I only get hallucinations during sleep paralysis. I've never gotten them when I was completely awake.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 2:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Raziel wrote:
I've the feeling that I was miss-dx with HFA. We'll maybe not totally, but that some aspects where recognised as autism who are really not.

I had speech delay as a little child and I've also some routines and sensory issues and I was dx from an autism expert with HFA, so it seems like a clear cut case, but I'm not so sure about it. My social understanding is alright. I do understand double meaning and I can also recognise their feelings. When I was older I developed paranoid symptoms towards certain situation, thought disorder and other mild symptoms associated with the schizophrenic spectrum. It seemed more and more typical for schizotypal PD. What also made me suspicious that I seem to be more able to communicate in social situations that other autistic ppl, also my sensory issues got worse in adulthood. But what's seems to fit into autism is the fact that I had routines since bing very little. When I was asked what my special interest is, I answer "religion" and I've always been very interested in all kind of belief systems.

So I know that no one can answer me here if I was miss-dx or not, but I wonder how I could find out?

Well...
Why do you think that you were miss diagnosed?

Nothing you have said above indicates that.

a lot of the symptoms could also be explained with schizotypal PD instead of HFA, because of the big overlap.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2014, 11:26 pm

Raziel wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Maybe our "delusions" are true. I feel like I'm picking up on people's energy and figuring out how they feel that way.

I think that ppl with SSD are very sensitive and also have low bounderies. They seem to feel things faster and are often able to pick up hints in the environment, like feelings around them because of the low bounderies. But sometimes this goes too far and they find themselfs in beliefsystems who don't have to do that much with reality anymore. If you doupt your thoughts or still know somehow that they just exist in your head, than they aren't delusions, just delusion like symptoms, like a pre-delusional state.

I think this is why I reflect on my environment in a very abstract kind of way, but also at times have a lot of ideas that I try to get out of my head if I have no use for them (by drawing), and also sometimes wonder if I can sense energy fields in my environment (though I'm unsure about that).

I have never been diagnosed with a schizophrenic spectrum disorder, but when I research schizotypal personality disorder, I often wonder if I have it. However, unlike you, I think I was correctly diagnosed with HFA, and I think my diagnosis of it explains myself as much as a diagnosis of StPD would (though I think neither of them explain the whole picture by themselves).

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 12:20 am

IntellectualCat wrote:
Raziel wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Maybe our "delusions" are true. I feel like I'm picking up on people's energy and figuring out how they feel that way.

I think that ppl with SSD are very sensitive and also have low bounderies. They seem to feel things faster and are often able to pick up hints in the environment, like feelings around them because of the low bounderies. But sometimes this goes too far and they find themselfs in beliefsystems who don't have to do that much with reality anymore. If you doupt your thoughts or still know somehow that they just exist in your head, than they aren't delusions, just delusion like symptoms, like a pre-delusional state.

I think this is why I reflect on my environment in a very abstract kind of way, but also at times have a lot of ideas that I try to get out of my head if I have no use for them (by drawing), and also sometimes wonder if I can sense energy fields in my environment (though I'm unsure about that).

I have never been diagnosed with a schizophrenic spectrum disorder, but when I research schizotypal personality disorder, I often wonder if I have it. However, unlike you, I think I was correctly diagnosed with HFA, and I think my diagnosis of it explains myself as much as a diagnosis of StPD would (though I think neither of them explain the whole picture by themselves).

I don't think that HFA was a total miss-dx and I think it was understandable why I was dx with It back than, but my AQ dropped down to 27 and my SPQ (schizotypal) score increased up to 53 of 75 (average between 10 and 44), my social understanding is alright and my symptoms changed a lot during puberty. Also my schizo-symptoms increased over the years how it is typical for schizotypal PD. So I guess it's probably better explained the other way around, with schizotypal PD and certain autistic tendencies instead making the HFA the main-dx.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

This is interesting and reminds me of my experiences when I was psychotic at 14:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11305857

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

Raziel wrote:
IntellectualCat wrote:
Raziel wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I don't think that HFA was a total miss-dx and I think it was understandable why I was dx with It back than, but my AQ dropped down to 27 and my SPQ (schizotypal) score increased up to 53 of 75 (average between 10 and 44), my social understanding is alright and my symptoms changed a lot during puberty. Also my schizo-symptoms increased over the years how it is typical for schizotypal PD. So I guess it's probably better explained the other way around, with schizotypal PD and certain autistic tendencies instead making the HFA the main-dx.

What's funny is that, at 14, my diagnosis was "Axis I: Asperger's syndrome. Axis 2: Schizotypal personality disorder." It makes me almost feel like I've accomplished something big in this life. :P

But ja the self-disorders (which I've updated more, and I'm working on it) are an interesting angle to look at.

I wonder, how would you say the self-disorders affect your life?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 2:04 am

I dunno, yesterday I heard a religious song for hours in my head and felt "hype". I've low energy and my overload symptoms are fluctuating. Sometimes I get anxious because of a past experience I'm paranoid about. The symptoms get worse when I don't do anything.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 2:39 am

Just my two cents, I think it is possible for someone on the spectrum to learn how to "act" and socialize in a somewhat NT fashion, and to even learn how to somewhat understand abstract thought, but the main difference between aspies and NTs in that regard is that NTs can do those things "instinctively", while aspies have to learn them. Depending on their environment, and the severity of their conditions, some aspies learn to blend in so well that they appear "NT" to most people, while others appear stereotypically "aspie" their whole lives, and most are somewhere in the middle.

I'm no expert, but I can say as someone diagnosed with AS at a young age, I've learned a lot about socialization and abstract thought over the years, though I've always been somewhat behind the curve compared to most people. Of course, realizing that I have natural deficits in those areas has certainly helped me work on them.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 2:56 am

@ beneficii

I also have a lot of magical thinking that things have a special meaning for me.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Just my two cents, I think it is possible for someone on the spectrum to learn how to "act" and socialize in a somewhat NT fashion, and to even learn how to somewhat understand abstract thought, but the main difference between aspies and NTs in that regard is that NTs can do those things "instinctively", while aspies have to learn them. Depending on their environment, and the severity of their conditions, some aspies learn to blend in so well that they appear "NT" to most people, while others appear stereotypically "aspie" their whole lives, and most are somewhere in the middle.

I'm no expert, but I can say as someone diagnosed with AS at a young age, I've learned a lot about socialization and abstract thought over the years, though I've always been somewhat behind the curve compared to most people. Of course, realizing that I have natural deficits in those areas has certainly helped me work on them.

I know that I've difficulties distinguishing anxiety and disgust, but besides that I can't remember that I learned facial expressions, but even in psychiatric tests I'm average in detecting them. I know out of psychiatric tests that I'm average understanding social situations, but I seem to over interpret them. I had social understanding issues as a child, but when I was 14 my developmental issues got a lot better and a lot of symptoms dissapeard. I also got a lot of new symptoms during that time.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 4:13 pm

It true that you have NO negative symptoms in schizotypal PD? 8O

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Mar 2014, 11:31 pm

beneficii wrote:
I wonder, how would you say the self-disorders affect your life?

I'm going to start off Cognition and Stream of Consciousness. Also, I'm going to point out any overlap with my HFA.

1.1 Thought Interference
Sometimes when I'm thinking, an irrelevant thought pops up in my mind. It can interrupt my train of thought for a moment, but I'm able backtrack.

1.2 Loss of Thought Ipseity
I feel that my involuntary thoughts come from the part of the brain that doesn't feel like part of my self (there's also some I-split here, which I will cover later).

1.3 Thought Pressure
Sometimes I get so many ideas that it feels like pressure is being put on my head. I am unaware of what those ideas are until the ideas become overwhelming and I have a compulsion to draw in order to get the ideas out of my head. When I am drawing, there is initially little meaning to the drawings, but when I revise the drawing, I give it meaning.

1.4 Thought Block Subtype 2
This usually happens alongside with thought pressure. I will be thinking and sometimes my current thought will fade away and I have to backtrack to the thought I was thinking of before I thought of the thought that faded away. It continues to happen until I draw to get the ideas creating thought pressure out of my head.

1.6 Ruminations - Obsessions Subtype 2; used to get Subtype 4
I sometimes get paranoid ruminations. It can be triggered by sensory overload invoked by other people, people who try to help me but end up making matters worse, or being around people who are being closed-minded.

As for Subtype 4, I used to get it when I went to a public middle school, which was stressful due to teachers who didn't pay attention to my needs (probably due to the large class size) as well as aides who were unaware that I have a slow reaction time. I had paranoid ruminations as well as fantasies with supernatural themes that I had difficulty understanding at the time. Nowadays I try to resist any paranoid ruminations I have, as I am in a better school environment now.

1.8 Spatialization of Experience
See 1.3

1.14 Disturbance in Experience of Time Subtype 1 and 2
Sometimes my subjective experience of time slows down for no apparent reason. Also, at times I feel separate from time, though I know that isn't actually the case.

1.17 Disturbance of Expressive Language Function
It often takes me a long time to figure out the right words to express what I mean. On the internet, I will often use metaphors to cope with this, but in real life, I am often quiet because I decide not to use a metaphor, even if it is the only way to get my point across. That I'm trying to work on.

There are some items I skipped because I'm not sure if they apply.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 7:55 am

Yes the overlap of symptoms of ASD and SSD irritates me.

What irritates me is the fact that my symptoms changed a lot as a teenager and young adult. That's not typical for ASD alone. Also what irritates me is the fact that I sometimes feel "hype" and have strange, magical thinking, like everything is being connected. I'm asking myself if this is still typical for schizotypal or if this is rather schizoaffective? It might be that it can't be totally explained if it's ASD or SSD, but I seem to have symptoms of both. In the end there is an overlap between many disorders anyway, but still they can be classified better in a certain category.
On classical schizophrenia tests I score higher, but negative. My symptoms seem to be clearly not severe enough for that. But on a professional high risk for psychosis test I score in the upper range.

Edit:
I also have an idee fixe. But I don't like talking about it, except with two or three friends, because I know it makes me sound totally paranoid and nuts. :?

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2014, 11:57 pm

I find the overlap interesting, though I think that may make diagnosis more complicated.

Also, my ruminations and my ways of thinking was why I was afraid of telling others about myself in middle school.

Btw, I'm probably going to do self-awareness and presence sometime soon.