Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 10:05 pm

I cannot understand the 6th dimension. Can anyone here explain it to me?

I understand the 5th dimension as something we experience a "line" of. So, we should experience a "dot" of the 6th...but, what is the rest?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 11:16 pm

screen_name wrote:
I cannot understand the 6th dimension. Can anyone here explain it to me?

I understand the 5th dimension as something we experience a "line" of. So, we should experience a "dot" of the 6th...but, what is the rest?

Six dimensions of string theory allow for Calabri-Yoa manifolds.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 11:27 am

There was a video on this kind of stuff somewhere.

Very mind bending. It went well beyond the 6th dimension.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm

String theory actually calls for ten or eleven dimensions, but most of them curl up on themselves and are undetectable. Therefore, most of string theory is nonfalsifiable, and useless until it produces testable predictions.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 10:56 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
String theory actually calls for ten or eleven dimensions, but most of them curl up on themselves and are undetectable. Therefore, most of string theory is nonfalsifiable, and useless until it produces testable predictions.

Some physicists have raised strong objections to String Theory because of its lack of empirical corroboration. Lee Smollin has written a book on the subject: The Trouble with Physics. To many theoretical physicists have taken the position that mathematical elegance and beauty is an indicator of truth. This is medieval nonsense. only genuine empirical testing can establish a physical theory provisionally.

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

Thin Thread Theory?