Moderate functioning autism...anyone?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 2:55 am

I hear aspergers/high functioning, low functioning....but why not the term moderate functioning for people between high functioning and low functioning. So does anyone else feel the term moderate functioning autism would be more realistic than high vs. low functioning? With the new DSM perhaps the empathis on autism 'spectrum' will allow for that terminology.

I guess sometimes I feel I get lumped in with 'high functioning' because I have an 'aspergers' diagnoses....but it really just doesn't seem to be an accurate description. I have significant sensory issues, executive functioning problems, keeping up any kind of pace with work is difficult...I miss subtle things in social interactions....can't process body language/facial expressions and the conversation taking place all at once, even eye contact is essentially impossible. I could go on but the point is I have plenty of autism related impairments not caused by co-morbids.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 3:15 am

I don't think there's strict rules on what's high functioning. Or is there now? HFA didn't used to be an official term. Kids in the mid-functioning range usually get PDD-NOS label.

From what I heard some people think high functioning means the person can talk and go to bathroom by themselves. :) We know it takes a great deal more than those for independent living. *But you would probably still fall into the high functioning category. I am unable to drive or hold a regular job due to various issues, I'm considered high functioning. Although I am a bit blessed in that I can talk really well, and am good at sounding smarter than I feel. :) My dad shares that quality, too. He could go do presentations and important meetings when he hardly know the stuff. Sounding smart and professional was one of his biggest career edge.

Last edited by y-pod on 27 Feb 2014, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 3:20 am

y-pod wrote:
I don't think there's strict rules on what's high functioning. Or is there now? HFA didn't used to be an official term. Kids in the mid-functioning range usually get PDD-NOS label.

From what I heard some people think high functioning means the person can talk and go to bathroom by themselves. :) We know it takes a great deal more than those for independent living.

Its intresting I have an Aspergers Diagnoses and a PDD-NOS diagnoses....the Aspergers one is from a neuropsychologist and the PDD-NOS is what they determined at the mental health place I go for therapy and meds(anti-depressants I don't really want to take, valium for anxiety and trazodone for sleep).

Apparently though the new DSM is removing PDD-NOS so I wonder if people with that diagnoses would still be considered on the spectrum and if so would it be in the mid-functioning range is what I sort of wonder. But yeah I'd say talking and going to the bathroom don't give you the ability to lead a successful life.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 3:30 am

Some would say my job options are limited because of Autism and my lifestyle is restricted. I only work part time, I don't want family, I don't want a partner, I don't want kids, I want to be alone. I don't want a car, I don't want to own a house.

But I have no problem with any of this. I prefer to live simple. High functioning? moderate functioning? Who cares, It seems like a mix anyways.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 5:19 am

it is because autistic functioning is related directly to where the persons IQ lies on the inteligence spectrum, below a specific point is the low functioning spectrum;AKA learning disability in the UK or intelectual disability in america,and above that specific IQ point it is the high functioning spectrum.
the inteligence has an effect on how autism presents and how a person functions in overall abilities and skills,and it also affects how well a person is able to learn coping skills and apply them to all situations.

this is why aspies are automaticaly said to be high functioning,and woud never be diagnosed with aspergers if their IQ is on or below that specific IQ point.
aspies who say they struggle with every day functioning do so due to issues such as executive functioning and having not yet been taught the needed coping skills,which is different to having intelectual difficulty with functioning,we will always have higher support needs and live in care of some form.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 5:32 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
it is because autistic functioning is related directly to where the persons IQ lies on the inteligence spectrum, below a specific point is the low functioning spectrum;AKA learning disability in the UK or intelectual disability in america,and above that specific IQ point it is the high functioning spectrum.
the inteligence has an effect on how autism presents and how a person functions in overall abilities and skills,and it also affects how well a person is able to learn coping skills and apply them to all situations.

this is why aspies are automaticaly said to be high functioning,and woud never be diagnosed with aspergers if their IQ is on or below that specific IQ point.
aspies who say they struggle with every day functioning do so due to issues such as executive functioning and having not yet been taught the needed coping skills,which is different to having intelectual difficulty with functioning,we will always have higher support needs and live in care of some form.

I don't think it should be based on IQ. I know some people who are intellectually disabled and have mild symptoms of autism and not intellectually disabled and obviously autistic.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 8:13 am

Best quote I've ever heard was: "The difference between high-functioning and low-functioning is that high-functioning means your deficits are ignored, and low- functioning means your assets are ignored."

I don't consider myself high functioning because I am not high functioning in the world. I'm not functioning at all actually. I don't have a job, don't have a degree, live with my parents, I barely keep up with hygiene, I've only learned two household tasks (laundry and cleaning the toilet). How is that considered high functioning in society? It's not. So why label me high functioning?

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 8:26 am

http://www.stuartduncan.name/autism/low ... m-in-2012/

This site is really someones opinion but I liked what they had to say, and they also mention that with the DSM-5 that their is no more "lables" of autism, its all high medium and low now. Check it out if you can. Interesting.

I would be in the middle I think when it comes to functioning out in the world.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 10:13 am

Me. I'm moderate functioning.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 10:22 am

DevilKisses wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:

I don't think it should be based on IQ. I know some people who are intellectually disabled and have mild symptoms of autism and not intellectually disabled and obviously autistic.

I don't think it should be based on IQ alone, if it is then it makes sense why things are they way they are.....but that seems problematic. But it brings me to another reason why I like the term moderate functioning. Perhaps people with average/high IQ much of the time fit their rather than 'high' functioning. I have learned in my psychology class that the IQ thing is kind of flawed and doesn't always actually reflect peoples intelligence level except for a limited number of things.

I don't recall ever taking any valid IQ tests however....I have taken a couple on-line ones here and there. From my understanding though I thought a learning disability and/or intellectual disability would be a co-morbid of autism since not everyone with autism has that sort of thing and not everyone with those has autism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 10:32 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:

executive functioning, sensory issues, processing difficulties certainly do make things hard....as for coping skills perhaps I have some, like if there is too much noise and I can't do anything to make it quieter. But not really sure what kind of coping skills there are for those issues, I can't get rid of the executive functioning issues or processing difficulties no matter how much I try to make myself go faster and process everything at once.

That said I still don't feel I'd be low functioning, however high functioning to me implies I could live a mostly independent life....which I really am not so sure of, the only reason I now have income is SSI which is a form of welfare due to being 'disabled'

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 11:30 am

Me. re-evaluated " to be fairly high functioning" compared to others with autism. confused :? Level 1

still given intensive support 4 times a week (including an aide to help daily living).

To my mother and self, I'm both moderate and high-functioning. No coping skills for anxiety or frustration, motor skills affected by Severe-Moderate sensory processing, speech and planning inconsistent, need daily sequencing or won't do things.

Eventually to work, with some supports.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 1:09 pm

Have been simply told directly what my goals are.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I hear aspergers/high functioning, low functioning....but why not the term moderate functioning for people between high functioning and low functioning. So does anyone else feel the term moderate functioning autism would be more realistic than high vs. low functioning? With the new DSM perhaps the empathis on autism 'spectrum' will allow for that terminology.

I guess sometimes I feel I get lumped in with 'high functioning' because I have an 'aspergers' diagnoses....but it really just doesn't seem to be an accurate description. I have significant sensory issues, executive functioning problems, keeping up any kind of pace with work is difficult...I miss subtle things in social interactions....can't process body language/facial expressions and the conversation taking place all at once, even eye contact is essentially impossible. I could go on but the point is I have plenty of autism related impairments not caused by co-morbids.

I read a few things in the DSM-5 stating that low, moderate and high will be diagnosed by the persons abilities to function in daily life. Can they hold a job? Work full time part time? Support themselves? Shop and feed themselves? Do they follow social rules to blend in with society (as in no meltdown tantrums and able to cope enough to get through daily activities with minimal disturbance) IQ has nothing to do with it. That is why it is so misinterpreted that just because someone is mute or has obvious physical issues that they must have a low IQ and that means they are low functioning. That is wrong. Just because they are obviously autistic physically does not mean they have a low IQ. They are low functioning because they can not provide for themselves.

If it were based on IQ, I do not know much and my IQ is quite low. I would be considered Low Functioning, BUT because I can survive on my own, pay my bills, buy food, tolerate society enough to Pass, I am considered High Functioning. If it were estimated by IQ and and ability to Function I honestly think my flaws and strengths would even it out and I would be considered Moderate Functioning.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 3:41 pm

My question is: why do you want this DX?

To feel better about yourself? Or for professional reasons? (Like preferred status on a job.)

Labels are just one person's judgement call. Like certificates of achievement, it means you scored such and such on a test. It doesn't explain WHO you are, or even help people understand you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:42 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
My question is: why do you want this DX?

To feel better about yourself? Or for professional reasons? (Like preferred status on a job.)

Labels are just one person's judgement call. Like certificates of achievement, it means you scored such and such on a test. It doesn't explain WHO you are, or even help people understand you.

Neither of those really.

It simply makes more sense to me rationally....they have high functioning and low functioning, so it would make sense there are people between those. Even without my co-morbids i would still have autism related difficulties severe enough to significantly interfere with my ability to function in life. So I am confused how that would be high functioning?

I don't see how a label is like a certificate of acheivement....I see it as more something to help explain things, people organize things based on labels....so yes I like to have ways of describing conditions I have and words for them, so I can have treatment that helps and so I can grasp whats going on with me( I would have no idea how to think of it in totally abstract concepts without labels for conditions and make much sense out of it)