If they don't call me, can I call them?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

I have been applying to a LOT of jobs trying to find supplemental work, and there have been several employers who really seemed like they wanted to hire me then suddenly dropped off and stopped talking to me out of nowhere. I had already been wondering if it would be okay to reach out to them and just try to make sure they're not still interested and just busy or forgot to follow up or something, but some people give me the impression that employers are super touchy and it's a "faux pas" to contact them if they don't contact you - and might ruin your chances if you really were still in the running! Now I've gotten a call yesterday from the job I wanted the most out of all of the ones I applied for. It seems to be a private person, not a company. She told me yesterday that she would call today or tomorrow to set up an interview. I'm trying to remain hopeful that there is still the rest of today and all of tomorrow before I should think she's not going to call, but if she doesn't, is there any chance it would work in my favor (or at least not AGAINST me) to call her? Just to let her know I'm still interested and, if necessary, remind her that I exist?

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

27 Feb 2014, 4:21 pm

Wait until after the interview. wait a day or two. Send a thank you email or something. It is more casual that way.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 10:41 pm

But what if she doesn't call me for an interview tomorrow? She didn't call today, so if tomorrow passes with no word, do I really have to just assume she's not interested after all and let it go?

krankes_hirn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2014, 2:26 am

I went through a similar situation once and was worried about the same thing.. A friend that worked in HR advised me to send an e-mail after a week and say that I was following up on the job offer. I was a bit worried but it went quite well, actually, the HR manager asked me to send her my resumé again. A couple of hours later she called me to see if we could schedule an interview. The following day I went to the interview and got the job.

I guess there is nothing wrong with you contacting her, don't do it right away, but don't take too long either. (I'd go for next tuesday) As long as you are polite and thank her for taking some of her time to talk to you, I guess there's no biggie there.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 4:26 am

I normally ask at the job interview, if they know an average date, when they will have decided about the job or not. Normally a few days after that I call, and ask friendly about information, if the job is already been given to someone, or if the desiscion is still to do and so on. So I dont bug them, but if you are job seeking its as well for you good to know, which job chances might still exist, and which are definitly already gone.

As well that, when you are unemployed in my country, you can get payment from your unemployment insurance, but therefore you need to proof as well that you are seeking on your own a new job meanwhile. So the jobcenter assistens normally also want to know, about the actual status of your jobsearching.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

Oh trust me, depending on the job it could takes weeks for employers to get back to you. The job I applied and interviewed for took 4 weeks before I got an a contingent offer and I have to wait even longer until my background check clears. It can really take time for a variety of reasons. Some reasons include them having to interview a certain amount of people to having to promote someone so you'd get their spot. If you truly get concerned, you can try to call HR after a week to see what's up but for the most part if you aren't selected, you most likely will be contacted sooner rather then later if you are put into a pool of candidates they'd want.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

If I'm interested in the job by the end of the interview, I like to ask when I should know something EITHER WAY about their hiring decision.

I use that as a guide of when to call or stop by to inquire about their decision.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm

When people say they will call today or tomorrow, what they mean is they will call those days but that doesn't mean they will call you. I took it literal when I was 16 so all day on Tuesday I sat at home all day long waiting for them to call for an interview and they didn't call. I was pissed because I wasted my day waiting for them. Now when people say that, I don't take them seriously. I would just keep applying for jobs than sitting at home waiting for a call. That is how it works when looking for a job. I never knew then I could call them and ask about the interview call I was supposed to get, maybe that would have alerted them that I wanted to work there. This was back in 2002 and I didn't use email then. I am still learning about finding a job even though I have one so I have nothing to worry about but it's still good to know for if I ever go unemployed again and need to look for work.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 11:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When people say they will call today or tomorrow, what they mean is they will call those days but that doesn't mean they will call you. I took it literal when I was 16 so all day on Tuesday I sat at home all day long waiting for them to call for an interview and they didn't call. I was pissed because I wasted my day waiting for them.

It's so much better today with AFFORDABLE cell phones and voice mail. Try growing up in a home that didn't even have an answering machine.

Now, when a person says, "Oh, I called and left a message." I know if they're telling the truth or lying to me.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 11:34 am

You can call them, but don't call too much. One phone call just to check up, and that's it! If you call more than that, they may get annoyed, but one or two calls is in many cases expected.