Declared mentally unstable

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

I've been declared mentally unstable by my school and psychologist, so I've been taken out school and locked at home for long periods of time. I've started to cut, and every time I see a knife, I just get the urge to start. But this is for the better of me, so I can only pray for more strength.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 7:25 pm

Why would you be "locked at home for long periods of time"? I'm not sure what "unstable" means, but is this supposed to make you more stable? Solitary confinement is one of the worst forms of torture, and the intention is to make the person insane.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... t/5817559/

If you're not in school, you need to be in some kind of a program. I'm almost tempted to say you should call some child abuse hotline.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 7:30 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I've been declared mentally unstable by my school and psychologist, so I've been taken out school and locked at home for long periods of time. I've started to cut, and every time I see a knife, I just get the urge to start. But this is for the better of me, so I can only pray for more strength.

Are you on some kind of court order?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 9:24 pm

You're probably going to need to hire a lawyer at some point.

And maybe before that, if at all possible, an Asperger's-Autism Spectrum who's squarely on your side. And/or maybe a Tourettes or ADHD advocate.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 10:40 pm

I agree with the other posters, something doesn't sound right about this...is there any way you could elaborate a bit more on what exactly is going on? Why would you be locked at home for long periods of time to to being mentally unstable? shouldn't you be in therapy or be getting some sort of help for your mental instability?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Mar 2014, 12:06 am

Tahitiii wrote:
Why would you be "locked at home for long periods of time"? I'm not sure what "unstable" means, but is this supposed to make you more stable? Solitary confinement is one of the worst forms of torture, and the intention is to make the person insane.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... t/5817559/

If you're not in school, you need to be in some kind of a program. I'm almost tempted to say you should call some child abuse hotline.
It may be something like Borderline Personality Disorder; clickable Wiki link.
If he has psych records & school officials like teachers & principle agreeing that he is mentally unstable; it would be seen as a form of protection. The OP is considered unfit for school & is a threat to himself & perhaps potential threat to others due to being unstable. I don't agree with the idea that he's home alone by himself. If he really is as unstable as they claim, he shouldn't be alone & should be in a mental facility where he can be watched & receive treatment. I really think you should ask to go to a mental facility BeggingTurtle so you can have more interaction with people & they can observe & back you up if your not as unstable as others think you are; & if you are you can get better treatment & care.

babybird wrote:
BeggingTurtle's profile says he's 16 so a court order wouldn't be necessary if his his parents are on board with the plan from the psych & school. He has little options sense he's not the age to be considered independent without getting emancipated but others like parents, psych & school officials would say he's unstable.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 12:32 am

I myself struggle with OCD from time to time.  And let me tell you, it can be some pretty disruptive stuff to say the least.  Now one thing, if I can wind to a place where it's okay to do a health precaution and also okay not to do it, that's a pretty good place to be.  But I can't always do this and I guess that's okay, too.

One thing I think you have a right to know about is the whole PANDAS hypothesis.  This is the idea that some cases of OCD, probably only a minority, are caused by an autoimmune reaction similar to the rheumatic fever autoimmune reaction to strep.  Now, some doctors are skeptical about this, and so you might have to go to several to find one willing to take this seriously, and have the right kind of patience for this process.  You would probably start off doing just a blood test for strep antibodies.  The upside is that the treatment is relatively easy.  You'd just take appropriate antibiotics to avoid strep and thus the antibodies.  I can give you what I think are some pretty mainstream links if you're interested.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 1:20 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:

In theory, who would have to be killed for justice purposes? Also, who was originally responsible? Kind of suspect The Drill Sergeant.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 5:38 am

nick007 wrote:
babybird wrote:
BeggingTurtle's profile says he's 16 so a court order wouldn't be necessary if his his parents are on board with the plan from the psych & school. He has little options sense he's not the age to be considered independent without getting emancipated but others like parents, psych & school officials would say he's unstable.

I was just curious because a similar thing happened to me when I was a teenager.

The court ordered me not to leave the house for three months. However, I did leave the house and I was put straight into a secure unit.

It was for my own protection and the protection of others.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 10:36 am

babybird wrote:
It was for my own protection and the protection of others.
I take it all back. My post above was just a first reaction.
If those are the choices, I'd rather be home than in an actual institution or jail.
Or whatever is the "Least restrictive environment" possible.

So, back to the OP:
BeggingTurtle wrote:
I've started to cut, and every time I see a knife, I just get the urge to start. But this is for the better of me, so I can only pray for more strength.
What can you tell us, and how can we help?
Does something trigger it?

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I agree with the other posters, something doesn't sound right about this...is there any way you could elaborate a bit more on what exactly is going on? Why would you be locked at home for long periods of time to to being mentally unstable? shouldn't you be in therapy or be getting some sort of help for your mental instability?

I am going to therapy, but I'm allowed to be kept at home, just not allowed out by mum and dad.

Nick007, I have considered BPD before, but never put too much thought into it. I do have behavioral seizures, but I on't think about them, they jut happen every now and then. Nothing major.

Tahitiii wrote:
What can you tell us, and how can we help?

I don't know. I've hurt myself before with stims and tics, but this is more of a voluntary hurt. My mum, my sister, and my brother have depression in their blood too, but my sister has the worst of it. I've stopped for now, but I hope it doesn't come up anymore.