Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 7:54 am

I set up an "ask me" thread in another forum, and encouraged questions about my autism.
Have never up until recently been in the position of explaining it and want to make sure am doing it right.
What do you think about this? v

Quote:
How is it that you are such an amazing and intelligent guy for your age despite being autistic?

My autism does not effect my intellect, but my perception. They say that a blind person hears much better, because his brain is making up for loss of sight. Since certain parts of my brain are impaired, guess the parts that are not are sharper. But have way below average academic skills in many areas because of my perceptual impairment. And also need a lot of assistance in real life situations, like just getting to and around school.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 10:12 am

EzraS wrote:
Quote:
How is it that you are such an amazing and intelligent guy for your age despite being autistic?

My autism does not effect my intellect, but my perception. They say that a blind person hears much better, because his brain is making up for loss of sight. Since certain parts of my brain are impaired, guess the parts that are not are sharper. But have way below average academic skills in many areas because of my perceptual impairment. And also need a lot of assistance in real life situations, like just getting to and around school.

You have explained that here yourself; you are doing it right. As long as you are capable of explaining your own perspective, then you'll be fine. If you have difficulties you could pre-write material or link them to resources.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

That's very interesting. Please post all other questions they make and the answers :D

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 1:52 pm

Write what works for you. Your explanation is good.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 1:59 pm

You are a genius because of your autism not in spite of your autism.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 6:08 pm

EzraS wrote:
I set up an "ask me" thread in another forum, and encouraged questions about my autism.
Have never up until recently been in the position of explaining it and want to make sure am doing it right.

Quote:

The way I see it is I think that everybody on this earth has the same amount of brain power. it's how it used or allocated that sets us apart. Think of it like loading up "task manager" in windows and looking at all the programs running on your machine. Some take more CPU time/memory, some less. I think the same thing holds true for how certain cognitive function (programs) running in are brain get more brain resources then others. In the case of NT's. They have more brain resources allocated towards processing social communication and autistics/aspies have more brain resources allocated towards processing intellectual things.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 8:49 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Quote:

The way I see it is I think that everybody on this earth has the same amount of brain power. it's how it used or allocated that sets us apart. Think of it like loading up "task manager" in windows and looking at all the programs running on your machine. Some take more CPU time/memory, some less. I think the same thing holds true for how certain cognitive function (programs) running in are brain get more brain resources then others. In the case of NT's. They have more brain resources allocated towards processing social communication and autistics/aspies have more brain resources allocated towards processing intellectual things.

it reminds me of a cartoon of RPG characters. The nt one had 5 social and 5 intelligence, the aspie had 1 social and 9 intelligence. Well, brains don't work like that, and I think it makes aspies and auties that have no particular intellectual ability or talent to feel bad about themselves.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 9:21 pm

linatet wrote:
it reminds me of a cartoon of RPG characters. The nt one had 5 social and 5 intelligence, the aspie had 1 social and 9 intelligence. Well, brains don't work like that, and I think it makes aspies and auties that have no particular intellectual ability or talent to feel bad about themselves.

I am for sure that brains don't work that way ether. It's just that I am a math and science genius and a social ret*d (1 social and 9 intelligence.) And I would be willing to give up some of my intelligence to improve my social skills to balance things out. Of course. even something like 3 social and 7 intelligence would be nice but I was genetically hard wired this way from birth so there is nothing I can do about it.