Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2014, 10:15 pm

I apologize if this is in the wrong place and if it is, please go ahead and move it.

As of right now I am a criminal justice major and seriously considering switching majors. I am in my community college's TRiO program and the counselor suggested that I do a degree in computer information systems health informatics. Does anyone here do similar work and would you think that a person with a nonverbal learning disability do well in that career field?

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2014, 2:34 pm

RaspberryFrosty, I completed a graduate degree in a social science, but I have since left the field and I am investigating moving into some sort of computer/ ICT related work. All I can offer are the following general comments.

Many modern business claim that they need employees with good "soft skills", by which they mean communication skills, team-working, and creative and critical thinking --at least for employees that work in offices. In my (limited) experience, what this actually translates into is people who are good at playing office politics and (social) networking. Many colleges and universities claim that it does not matter what you study, because all their majors produce people with good creative and critical thinking skills, the ability to communicate effectively, and to work as part of a team. (I am highly sceptical of this claim, at least when it comes to people on the autistic spectrum.) There are some people in this world who can take a bachelor's degree in any field (e.g., English literature) and spin it into a "good" corporate job where they move up the ranks into a high paying career. In my experience, those people have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.

For many years, news media have claimed there is high demand in business and industry for people in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM; or STEMM, if you separate medicine from the rest). If this is true, then it would be worth studying in one of those areas. (It might be even better to have a double major, or at least minor, so that you could cover two areas.) Unfortunately, even if you major in one of those areas, you are still likely to find that a lot of the jobs require those "soft skills". Your best hope is that you can find a job in which they are willing to overlook your deficits because of their need for someone with your technical skills.