Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
newageretrohippie wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
So you won't settle, but they should?

Not what I'm saying. If they don't find me attractive, fine. But it's more like they simply assume I'm not worth talking to for superficial reasons that shouldn't mean a damn thing.
But dressing up like a barbie is one of that superimportant "should mean a things"?

Who said anything about a Barbie? I don't need some supermodel, but attraction is important. If you don't find somebody attractive, how are you supposed to fall in love an actually be happy?

It goes both ways, you don't need to be a millionaire, but how is she gonna fall for you and be happy with you if you are not productive at all? and yes she has to find you attractive as well.

akrasia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

MegaBass wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
MegaBass wrote:
I have never been bombared with messages as a woman I wonder if this is really true for most women.

As mentioned, he meaned only the "reasonable attractive" woman, so the 2% that look like an actress, not the 98% looking like normal womans look like.

Ohh I see. :wink:

Heh. Just for the record, I'm a woman. I am speaking from both personal experience as well as anecdotes offered by my female friends (and none of us look like actresses, I assure you!).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 3:11 pm

akrasia wrote:
MegaBass wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
MegaBass wrote:
I have never been bombared with messages as a woman I wonder if this is really true for most women.

As mentioned, he meaned only the "reasonable attractive" woman, so the 2% that look like an actress, not the 98% looking like normal womans look like.

Ohh I see. :wink:

Heh. Just for the record, I'm a woman. I am speaking from both personal experience as well as anecdotes offered by my female friends (and none of us look like actresses, I assure you!).

So you're saying that online dating works better for women and very hard for men, well that's not new news, but I am glad to see someone admits it.

And yes, none of the ones I dated through online dating looked like models/actresses, the only physical trait they had in common is slimness, because I am slim too.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 3:37 pm

I didn't find online dating worked at all. To be fair, I tried a paid site for one week and OKC for a week semi-seriously but without a photo and for another week with a silly photo and even sillier, jokey profile. So, perhaps I have no right to complain, but I did play around with the profile to see what sort of thing is attractive to people and I got the most visits/likes when I put my age 10 years younger than I actually am and put on that I am bisexual. Guys love the idea of a threesome, although I have to say not one person sent me a rude message, but that's probably because I just wasn't online long enough.

Anyway, the point is, all the guys that I found attractive weren't even remotely interested in someone like me. a) I was almost always too old and b) I was absolutely always not slim enough

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:06 pm

^ I recall your profile had no pic at all.

ForEverAutistic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 4:06 pm

yeah I know how u feel same here I have autism I am trying to find me a autistic boyfriend 18 and up to share romantic love together <I am also a guy )and its not easy I prefer not to date a non autistic person because most of them do not understand us yeah it sucks I hate it too

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

RheyQUB wrote:
Online dating is not worth its time for us. You might think it's a good battlegroup for people on the spectrum but in reality you are always going to be outcompeted by those that know what to say and know how to take photos.

I'm far better looking IRL than any photo I have ever taken because I don't know how to smile for them.

Yeah, you do have to know what to say, but that's a skill that can be learned by experimentation and by trial and error. I've found online dating is great for a few reasons:

1.) You know that everyone there is not only single, but looking to not be single anymore. One of the hardest things for me meeting people in real life is determining whether or not someone I find attractive is even available.

2.) It's really easy to gauge someone's level of interest. If they bother to message you back (or, even better, the girl initiates contact), chances are pretty good that there's at least some interest present.

3.) It's easier to start a conversation with a girl when all her interests are right there on the screen in front of you. No awkward small talk about things you don't even know if she has any interest in or knowledge about.

I suppose doing all of those things could be learned by experimentation in real life too, but I feel it's just soooo much easier, especially for autistic people, when you cut out that pesky, impossible-to-read body language upon the initial interaction. I know it's definitely helped me a lot, anyway.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I had three different profiles on two different sites. Like I already said :roll:

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:09 pm

Pabalebo wrote:
RheyQUB wrote:
Online dating is not worth its time for us. You might think it's a good battlegroup for people on the spectrum but in reality you are always going to be outcompeted by those that know what to say and know how to take photos.

I'm far better looking IRL than any photo I have ever taken because I don't know how to smile for them.

Yeah, you do have to know what to say, but that's a skill that can be learned by experimentation and by trial and error. I've found online dating is great for a few reasons:

1.) You know that everyone there is not only single, but looking to not be single anymore. One of the hardest things for me meeting people in real life is determining whether or not someone I find attractive is even available.

2.) It's really easy to gauge someone's level of interest. If they bother to message you back (or, even better, the girl initiates contact), chances are pretty good that there's at least some interest present.

3.) It's easier to start a conversation with a girl when all her interests are right there on the screen in front of you. No awkward small talk about things you don't even know if she has any interest in or knowledge about.

I suppose doing all of those things could be learned by experimentation in real life too, but I feel it's just soooo much easier, especially for autistic people, when you cut out that pesky, impossible-to-read body language upon the initial interaction. I know it's definitely helped me a lot, anyway.

I agree with this. For me, the biggest stumbling block is the initial face-to-face meeting. If I demonstrate my usual non-existent in-person social skills the first time I meet someone, it's over before it has begun. I'm much better at writing intelligently to someone I don't know than I am at talking in person with someone I don't know. I think it could very well give some of us an advantage that we would automatically lose in a more traditional dating scenario.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:17 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
MegaBass wrote:

my area 90% of the women look like actresses in the face. probably 60% have the body. Its very intimidating.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:22 pm

leafplant wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I had three different profiles on two different sites. Like I already said :roll:

You didn't get the hint. :lol: Didn't my post make you realize something? :lol:

Oh well...

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:24 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
leafplant wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Oh well...

Dude! Autistic forum... would you ease up on the subtle hints 8O

So, no. your post did not make me realise something.

*thinks some more*

Nope. No realisations at all.

You wanna try being direct for once?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:33 pm

leafplant wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
leafplant wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Oh well...

Dude! Autistic forum... would you ease up on the subtle hints 8O

So, no. your post did not make me realise something.

*thinks some more*

Nope. No realisations at all.

You wanna try being direct for once?

Ok, here a rational hint: As far as I know, you've never linked your okc here so how did I recall this? Think of the possibilities.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

lol you realised (finally!) that it was me who sent you that message when I posted somewhere else about my experience about OKC..the bulb finally went off in your head *Oh, now I get it, that must have been leafplant*

And I hope you also said doh.

How's that?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:54 pm

leafplant wrote:
lol you realised (finally!) that it was me who sent you that message when I posted somewhere else about my experience about OKC..the bulb finally went off in your head *Oh, now I get it, that must have been leafplant*

And I hope you also said doh.

How's that?

lol Nice try.
I realized it was you all along, you said you're leafie or something, but pretended I didn't know you - stalker! Hence why the hint. :lol: