Games you hate that everybody raves about

Page 1 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 1:40 am

Are there any games that everybody raves about how great it is but you just don't get the appeal? Or conversely, what games do you like that are generally hated?

I hate but everybody loves:

Any Elder Scrolls except Skyrim
Witcher 2
Journey
98% of sports games
Ico
Shadow Of The Colossus
the Wii & DS Zelda games
pretty much ALL casual games

I love but most or all hate:

Geist
Odama
Star Fox Assault
Fossil Fighters series
DOAX 2

VladimierNorton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2014, 1:48 am

Games I hate that everyone else loves
Sports games
Current generation of Lego video games
Skyrim
if you want, I can give reasons

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 9:10 am

army shooters
realistic violent games
stuff like that

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 9:31 am

Hoboy, if I tried to list all of them, this would be 9 pages long, so I'll just list a few:

Every Zelda game after Majora's Mask (seriously, couldnt stand Wind Waker and it just went downhill from there...)

Metroid Prime series (AAAAAAAAAGH they turned a wonderful 2D exploration platformer into a damn FPS!)

Most things on the Wii (Cant they come up with something that ISNT a party game where you wave your arms like an idiot?)

The Wii itself (MOTION CONTROLS ARGH)

Halo (Used to love the FPS genre back in the Doom days, but then.... ugh. These sorts started coming, which tend to emphasize cover and sniping and more cover and more sniping and *falls asleep*)

Call of Duty (see Halo)

Street Fighter 4 (I very much prefer Arc's games, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Persona 4 Arena)

Grand Theft Auto (hate)

Payday 2 (I dont get the appeal here at all)

CounterStrike (see Call of Duty)

Fallout 3 (ugh, a slow-paced FPS with LOTS OF TALKY BITS)

Everything Square-Enix makes (omigod I hate them so much)

Half-Life 1 and 2 (found it boring)

and many, many more.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 1:25 pm

Call of Duty
Battlefield 3
Burnout Paradise
Halo 3 & 4 and Reach (Loved 1 & 2)
Resident Evil 1-3 (I loved 4 and the Gamecube release)
Clock Tower

newageretrohippie wrote:
Any Elder Scrolls except Skyrim

Misery wrote:
Metroid Prime series (AAAAAAAAAGH they turned a wonderful 2D exploration platformer into a damn FPS!)

Grand Theft Auto (hate)

Fallout 3 (ugh, a slow-paced FPS with LOTS OF TALKY BITS)

Half-Life 1 and 2 (found it boring)

I disagree with these, I love Grand Theft Auto, Metroid Prime, Fallout 3 and etc.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

Misery wrote:
Everything Square-Enix makes (omigod I hate them so much)

Even their early stuff (by early I mean 15 years ago or earlier)?

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2014, 4:11 pm

I hate:

Sports games - not really interested in the subject matter anyway but it seems to me that you have to pretend that you are really playing them.

Metal Gear Solid series - endless tedious cut scenes and rather dated game mechanics.
Final Fantasy series - again, endless cut scenes and pretty limited actual gameplay
Shenmue series (see above)
Yakuza series (and again)
God of War series - just unsatisfying combat somehow and toe-curlingly embarrassing shagging mini-game
Devil May Cry series - loads of cut scenes and unsatisfying combat
Nights Into Dreams (little more that a tech demo, now hugely dated (IMHO)
The Witcher series- unwieldy interface and cringe-worthy attempts at being "mature"
Wario Ware series and other multiplayer "party" games
Puzzle games where luck plays a bigger part than strategy (Lumines, Peggle)
Pretty much any games reliant on motion controls (Wii Sports) or peripherals (Guitar Hero)

HelixShade
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2014, 4:37 pm

Oh look! A topic just for us! Now where do I start...

* The entire Call of Duty franchise - Do I NEED to explain this one?

* The original X-COM - As Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation put it, "(it's interface) is about as intuitive as a nuclear submarine's control panel". Enemy Unknown/Within wasn't too bad though...just don't bring up The Bureau. Ever.

* Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - Boring, monotonous and repetitive single player campaign, lore rape to the nth degree (is it only Fire Warrior that can get how a Bolter works properly? And why are the Orks suddenly upper class?) and a horribly balanced Multiplayer experiance...and this is supposed to be one of the better uses of the licence HOW?

* Starcraft 1 & Brood War - Training one marine with a pop gun takes upwards of forever. I had more fun playing the Masari in Universe of War. Speaking of...

* Universe at War: Earth Assualt - Boy has this game (like everything Petroglyph ever made) hasn't dated well. Notoriously buggy, shipped with half the features straight out removed from the Single Player, Multiplayer that was (and I belive still is) locked behind the floodgates of Games For Windows Live, and (the cardinal sin) three uninteresting and dull factions in an RTS game. It says a lot when everyone with any amount of dignity, self respect or common sense left Petroglyph after this game flopped, and the after effects of just how badly it hurt Petroglyph can be seen even today.

Saint's Row 2 - I couldn't get past the menu screen, I'm sorry. It says a lot that it took III and IV for me to get behind the series.

*The FEAR Trilogy - This isn't scary or creepy. This game works better as a comedy about every single cliché scare in the book. And then FEAR 3 itself is a Cover Based First Person Shooter. I'm not kidding.

* Command & Conquer Generals & Zero Hour - Imagine Call of Duty as a RTS. Or to put it another way, Team America if Trey and Matt played it completely straight rather than as an over the top parody on US Foreign Policy.

* Age of Empires - Monotonous and Dull - I'm playing the same faction with the same units with only very tiny variation. Age of Mythology's alright though.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

I hate most of the modern school of fps. I grew up with games like Doom and Goldeneye, but they are different from the fps that everyone plays today. I didnt necessarily hate Counterstrike. I can't say I loved it, but I didn't mind it. Every fps since is just a ripoff of that game, which I've played already. If I'm going to invest in a new game, I want a new game, not one that is repackaged and resold with new box art. I enjoy the occasional game like Bioshock that at least has creative effort put into it, but games like that are few and far in between.

I don't watch sports, and I don't play sports very often, so I don't do sports games. The majority of sports games, if not all, don't rest on their own merits. They pretty much require some interest in the sport, and the mainstream stuff based on sports seasons, such as Madden and NHL, require one to have an interest in watching that sport. Party sports games are pretty much just for killing time when people come over. The majority of my gaming is done alone, and when people do come over, I'd rather play something with more substance than wii sports, thank you. I don't mind Inazuma Eleven so much, but that's an anomaly.

Music and rhythm games don't do it for me. I listen to music on the radio, in my car, but that's the only time I purposely listen to it. I've come to appreciate the soundtracks of games, and anime, but I don't really listen to those much outside of enjoying the work in question, unless it somehow comes to mind. I'm also quite terrible at music/rhythm games, and much like sports games, there's really not much to them other than music, and pressing buttons in specific timing. The mainstream stuff doesn't rest on its merits either, since it pretty much treads on fondness of the music genre and/or artist/band. I don't mind Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F though. I'm not sure why, though. Maybe it's because it has other things going on. Maybe I just like j-pop. Maybe the idea of a program synthesizing music, instead of a real person, intrigues me. I don't know.

I absolutely loathe motion control 99.99% of the time. It doesn't make me feel any more immersed in a game, it only works for certain genres, it is tiring, not relaxing, and severely limits how long I can play a game for, it's very unpleasant, and almost discriminatory against the dexterity impaired, it makes all acquired gaming skills worthless, by effectively levelling the playing field, and there's no reason for it to exist, because controllers, and a mouse and keyboard, have always worked just fine. Am I missing something?

All of the above genres/peripherals appeal to the mass market, especially those who don't know anything about gaming. If you ask what I'm playing, I'll probably list two or three games from as many different genres, and if you ask me the same question again later on, I'll probably be playing something else entirely. I enjoy a good action game as much as anyone, but I also enjoy platformers, jrpgs, visual novels, dating sims, point and clicks, survival horror(the real stuff, not the mindless zombie themed action games), adventure/puzzle games(like Zelda), the occasional role-playing beat-em-up, an rts once in a blue moon, and the occasional sim, among other things. I can't really talk about videogames with most people, because they usually bring up one of the things I mentioned above, and effectively sound like cave people to me. A friend of mine even asked what an rpg is.:roll:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 7:21 pm

Tross wrote:
I hate most of the modern school of fps. I grew up with games like Doom and Goldeneye, but they are different from the fps that everyone plays today. I didnt necessarily hate Counterstrike. I can't say I loved it, but I didn't mind it. Every fps since is just a ripoff of that game, which I've played already. If I'm going to invest in a new game, I want a new game, not one that is repackaged and resold with new box art. I enjoy the occasional game like Bioshock that at least has creative effort put into it, but games like that are few and far in between.

I don't watch sports, and I don't play sports very often, so I don't do sports games. The majority of sports games, if not all, don't rest on their own merits. They pretty much require some interest in the sport, and the mainstream stuff based on sports seasons, such as Madden and NHL, require one to have an interest in watching that sport. Party sports games are pretty much just for killing time when people come over. The majority of my gaming is done alone, and when people do come over, I'd rather play something with more substance than wii sports, thank you. I don't mind Inazuma Eleven so much, but that's an anomaly.

Music and rhythm games don't do it for me. I listen to music on the radio, in my car, but that's the only time I purposely listen to it. I've come to appreciate the soundtracks of games, and anime, but I don't really listen to those much outside of enjoying the work in question, unless it somehow comes to mind. I'm also quite terrible at music/rhythm games, and much like sports games, there's really not much to them other than music, and pressing buttons in specific timing. The mainstream stuff doesn't rest on its merits either, since it pretty much treads on fondness of the music genre and/or artist/band. I don't mind Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F though. I'm not sure why, though. Maybe it's because it has other things going on. Maybe I just like j-pop. Maybe the idea of a program synthesizing music, instead of a real person, intrigues me. I don't know.

I absolutely loathe motion control 99.99% of the time. It doesn't make me feel any more immersed in a game, it only works for certain genres, it is tiring, not relaxing, and severely limits how long I can play a game for, it's very unpleasant, and almost discriminatory against the dexterity impaired, it makes all acquired gaming skills worthless, by effectively levelling the playing field, and there's no reason for it to exist, because controllers, and a mouse and keyboard, have always worked just fine. Am I missing something?

All of the above genres/peripherals appeal to the mass market, especially those who don't know anything about gaming. If you ask what I'm playing, I'll probably list two or three games from as many different genres, and if you ask me the same question again later on, I'll probably be playing something else entirely. I enjoy a good action game as much as anyone, but I also enjoy platformers, jrpgs, visual novels, dating sims, point and clicks, survival horror(the real stuff, not the mindless zombie themed action games), adventure/puzzle games(like Zelda), the occasional role-playing beat-em-up, an rts once in a blue moon, and the occasional sim, among other things. I can't really talk about videogames with most people, because they usually bring up one of the things I mentioned above, and effectively sound like cave people to me. A friend of mine even asked what an rpg is.:roll:

Ah, yeah, I can agree with pretty much all of this.

I had the same reasons for the FPS types. Things like Doom or Duke 3D or Hexen or whatever, you actually, you know, MOVED and stuff instead of hiding behind "cover" and/or sniping all the time, which absolutely bores me to death. There were baddies everywhere, lotsa stuff to shoot, lotsa stuff to dodge, and the levels were big and fun. Wheras alot of modern FPS games.... yeah. The hiding and the cover and the "realism ZOMG" in some of them. Pacing tends to be very slow. The new Titanfall though.... THAT one, I like. I got that recently, lacks all of the problems that made me hate the genre for..... the past large number of years. All the running around and fast-paced shooting, no emphasis on hiding/sniping, all the bouncing offa the walls and climbing and double-jumps, and hey, giant freaking robots that can punch things. If more FPS games come out that play like THAT one, that'd be super. Though it'll be hard for anything to beat Doom, far as I'm concerned. Still, fast-paced and action packed, that's all I ever really wanted out of this.... Amazing though, how long it took to get another FPS that actually has those aspects and lacks the problems. Oh, Hawken is a good one for that too, come to think of it.

As for the motion controls, no, you're not missing something. Motion controls got big because @)%($-ing Nintendo got lucky and struck a nerve with the casual (and super-casual) crowd. ....and that's it, that's like their entire benefit and contribution. Cant stand the damn things myself. Utterly worthless.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 11:57 pm

Hate is a little strong but game types I generally dislike:

Multiplayer games. With the exception of one on one fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, I can do without multiplayer games. I like story driven games that you progress through. Respawning in the same map over and over and not being able to actually progress beyond that one map for a set time period is just irritating. Not to mention that playing against random players is no more satisfying than playing against bots. Same goes for MMOs. I don't want to have to deal/work with other people when I want to play a game.

That's about the extent of it for me. I can't really think of any specific genres I don't like. Short, indie style puzzle games don't interest me, but that's about it.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 5:27 am

I dont hate any game, none has ever violated me. But there are a few games, that are simply boring to me, and where it is hard for me to understand the excitement about it.

Lara Croft series has gone bad in my oppinion, since part three.

Resident Evil series its the same. First two parts that were more about riddles and survival were cool, but the other action parts bored me.

That Batman games. They are technicall nice done Jump and Runs, but I really cant share all that excitement about them. Same can be said for Assasins Creed and all that stuff.

Final Fantasy: Always bored the hell out of me. Too much videos, too much senseless blabbering, too less atmosphere...

And I feel a bit annoyed by some of the new RPGs. So Skyrim in itself is ok, but I simply have the need to discover absolute every place in an game, every cave, every area, every sidequests.... so I think people that played Skyrim, will know what problems I have with these games. ^^

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 8:36 am

Any RTS

Starcraft 1 & 2
Age of Empires
Age of Mythology
LoL and DotA
Command & Conquer 1,2,3...

Resident Evil - I liked them up to 3, but now, I think they suck and don't hold up.
Mass Effect

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 11:09 am

I forgot to mention the whole "Yeah, I am a f*****g uneducated criminal." GTA genre.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 11:55 pm

League of Legends. I've never played it, but from seeing what it does to people, I don't want to have anything to do with it. From what I've seen, it's horribly addictive, insanely competitive, rage-inducing, and it's designed to drain people's wallets. Sure, it's "free to play", but in order to try certain characters or keep using a certain character after their week-long free period is up, you have to buy them, and the price per character is absurdly high. It wouldn't be so bad if characters were like $0.25 a pop or something, but they charge $10, on sale. I don't even know how much they cost when they're not on sale, but I have a friend who has reportedly bought at least 100 characters. That's over $1000 invested in one stupid game! I would never pay that much!

Also, I've personally witnessed how World of Warcraft can ruin relationships, from how it was one of the contributing factors in my parents' divorce. Essentially, my mother was addicted to it, and she started ignoring my father and I in favor of the game and the friends she met on there. Now, it's nice that she made friends on there, but it started getting out of hand when it started straining her relationships with my dad and her boss. Needless to say, WoW is another game I don't want to have anything to do with.

On a lighter note, there's Minecraft. Everyone and their dog seems to be obsessed with this game, except for me. Personally, I think it's poorly programmed, the community sucks, and the actual gameplay (if you can call it that) is boring. I mean, people have done some neat things with it, and I could see myself enjoying it if I were more of a creative type, or if it was programmed better, but as it is, it just isn't my thing.

Another franchise I can't really get into, Call of Duty. I will admit, I loved the original Black Ops, and I vaguely remember enjoying Modern Warfare 2 the couple of times that I played it, but every other CoD game I've tried has been rather dull. This is besides the fact that it has one of THE worst communities in all of gaming, and that the singleplayer campaigns are essentially overly-scripted, jingoistic shooting galleries (I only played Black Ops for the multiplayer, zombies, and Dead Ops Arcade modes :P).

Halo is a franchise that has been rather hit-or-miss for me. The multiplayer is kind of fun, but the singleplayer is dull and overly-scripted, and again, the community is rather poor. Call of Duty essentially took most of the good (and all of the bad) parts of Halo and amplified them.