do rich,attractive,athletic aspie have it ''easy''

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 1:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
I think A trumps everything else...As Cindy Lauper says...Money changes everything...
Doesn't that depend on how you define "an easier life"? Yeah, money makes it easier to get a big-screen TV or bribe a gold-digger into marrying you, but if I had a lot of money, I think I'd just stress out over having to manage it all. Once I have enough to live on, to meet my needs (including the need for intellectual growth and play--i.e., library access is a necessity!), I don't think having more money would make things any easier. All the things that people call "luxuries" would just add more complications to my life... big house? Have to clean it. Get a maid? Got to deal with the maid service. Go out to eat? Gotta deal with the traffic and the waiters and the menu. I'm pretty sure that the people who do have those things are no happier than I am. They just seem to have more expensive tastes.

I want to learn things, discover new things, put things in patterns, and lose myself in stories. I want to interact with animals and with people who know interesting things. I want to change the world so that everybody gets human rights. I want to have a job where I'm doing useful work. I don't think money can buy any of those things.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 3:31 am

Callista wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I think A trumps everything else...As Cindy Lauper says...Money changes everything...
Doesn't that depend on how you define "an easier life"? Yeah, money makes it easier to get a big-screen TV or bribe a gold-digger into marrying you, but if I had a lot of money, I think I'd just stress out over having to manage it all.

I'm sure the gold digger would be happy to "manage" it for you while you watch the big screen TV.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 3:56 am

Callista wrote:
I want to learn things, discover new things, put things in patterns, and lose myself in stories. I want to interact with animals and with people who know interesting things. I want to change the world so that everybody gets human rights. I want to have a job where I'm doing useful work. I don't think money can buy any of those things.

Don't you think if you had several million dollars that you could focus your energy and time learning, discovering and reading endless stories in a log cabin on a quiet alpine mountain overlooking a crystal cleat Fjord...rather than counting beans shuffling paper and working endless nights to pay bills?

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2014, 5:15 am

I'm sure all rich, attractive and athletic people have it easier to some degree. There's a reason for this.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 5:46 am

Anyone who has any of the 4 aforementioned traits will typically have an easier time in life and dating; not guaranteed success though.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 8:51 am

anotherswede wrote:
I wouldn't suppose they have it easy. People are just susceptible to think that.

I think having a really good talent could be a marketable skill, that could make it a little easier to bear and support oneself.

Just look at some people in media that kill themselves. Billionaires, famous actors.. From our perspective they should have it "easy", being accomplished and have money, yet from their perspective they're so depressed and miserable they can't even stand to live.

But well, if I won £10 million in the lottery I could hire a chef and all that. Get my supercars... :D

I disagree.

The question was "easier" not "better."

Clearly, society values the attractive, the gifted (in the right way), the talented more than those who don't have it. Society is more forgiving of the shortcomings of such people.

This makes things much "easier" for them.

As far as "better," it's no different than having money. Money won't magically change your life for the better if you don't know how to handle having it. Those who know how to use money wisely often see little detriment from coming into it. Those who can't handle it often have it ruin their lives because they give in to excess because now they can afford it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 1:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Callista wrote:

Don't you think if you had several million dollars that you could focus your energy and time learning, discovering and reading endless stories in a log cabin on a quiet alpine mountain overlooking a crystal cleat Fjord...rather than counting beans shuffling paper and working endless nights to pay bills?
No. I'd have to figure out how to buy the log cabin, survive the plane trip to the Alps, figure out how to get food there, and deal with all that change. I am quite happy reading those stories in my little county library.

Autism Memorial:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 12:51 am

Callista wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Callista wrote:

No. I'd have to figure out how to buy the log cabin, survive the plane trip to the Alps, figure out how to get food there, and deal with all that change. I am quite happy reading those stories in my little county library.

Besides the money you would still like to work in a productive job that contributes toward society, that's fair enough. Certainly plenty of lottery winners who become bored out of their brains with nothing constructive to do, I would suggest volunteer work for a charity or community work while not having to worry about how to pay for your next meal or for the roof over your head.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

Money makes it easier to stay away from the poverty line and the wealthy hardly ever have to worry about going into debt, unless they're very careless with their money.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Callista wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Callista wrote:

Besides the money you would still like to work in a productive job that contributes toward society, that's fair enough. Certainly plenty of lottery winners who become bored out of their brains with nothing constructive to do, I would suggest volunteer work for a charity or community work while not having to worry about how to pay for your next meal or for the roof over your head.
When a person is very poor, yes, that can affect their happiness. "Absolute poverty", that is, lacking the basic necessities of life (food, shelter, safety, medical care), does impose higher stress levels on people. An income that allows you to live while "not having to worry about how to pay for your next meal or for the roof over your head" is the basic level of wealth that prevents absolute poverty, and it's the level above which more wealth won't buy a subjectively better life. My current level of income fits those criteria, even though I'm on disability, which puts me quite a bit below the federal poverty line. The only thing I don't have, that I want, is the assurance that I am not going to lose that minimal income.

I already do volunteer work; I am currently unemployable at a full-time level, but I'm not going to sit around doing nothing. If a person can avoid absolute poverty, then their basic needs are being met--it's time to search for purpose, and more money won't help with that.

Autism Memorial:

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

Before I lost my money, my health, my youthful looking appearance, my really nice body [and these were all at the same time and was just as I came out as being autistic] my life was SO much easier. I was considered the attractive woman who looked 20 years younger than herself, a killer body, a saint who took care of "that sick and strange boy," a cruise and vacation hound, who was beyond sweet and had a quirky personality that just made her more adorable. Oh, and I was a great actress.

Then everything changed.My props all disapeared and I was treated horribly. Not only as autistic but by having the gal to fool them [how dare I] THey felt so strongly that I had been betraying them that that is when the lies about me faking breast cancer started.[ I live a a nudist resort, guys, they all so the drains, the masectomy scars, my hair falling out, my skin aging decades in months] Then I remembered how monstrously tortured I had been as a young person. And how I was currently being treated. And how, for all the years I had been accepted,it had been for disgusting, superficial reasons.

My number one concern is about my son's future, BUT so much of what I have been doing, the retreat, working on starting an autistic community, was triggered by my desire to protect him and other autistics from further suffering.[ and ultimately worth it a thousand times over]

I am crying as I write this. It has all been super difficult. But yeah, all those ridiculous props make a huge difference.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:10 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Before I lost my money, my health, my youthful looking appearance, my really nice body [and these were all at the same time and was just as I came out as being autistic] my life was SO much easier. I was considered the attractive woman who looked 20 years younger than herself, a killer body, a saint who took care of "that sick and strange boy," a cruise and vacation hound, who was beyond sweet and had a quirky personality that just made her more adorable. Oh, and I was a great actress.

Then everything changed.My props all disapeared and I was treated horribly. Not only as autistic but by having the gal to fool them [how dare I] THey felt so strongly that I had been betraying them that that is when the lies about me faking breast cancer started.[ I live a a nudist resort, guys, they all so the drains, the masectomy scars, my hair falling out, my skin aging decades in months] Then I remembered how monstrously tortured I had been as a young person. And how I was currently being treated. And how, for all the years I had been accepted,it had been for disgusting, superficial reasons.

My number one concern is about my son's future, BUT so much of what I have been doing, the retreat, working on starting an autistic community, was triggered by my desire to protect him and other autistics from further suffering.[ and ultimately worth it a thousand times over]

I am crying as I write this. It has all been super difficult. But yeah, all those ridiculous props make a huge difference.

Hey, stop crying or your gonna make me cry, ok? :cry: :cry: :( :( :cry: :cry:

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:56 pm

Wozerree; You always are so nice. And, I am happy. I get upset thinking about it, but, like I said, small price for realizing I needed to take action for, not only my son, but for the Autistic community in general.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:40 pm

Money, looks, humor, etc. will get you a head start when you're younger. But as we grow older our forced central coherence wanes, our Aspieness magnifies, and unless we find ways to be true to who we are while simultaneously being functional in the world, we will crash. None of us is exempt.

That being said, I'm glad I still have my hair.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 11:19 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Wozerree; You always are so nice. And, I am happy. I get upset thinking about it, but, like I said, small price for realizing I needed to take action for, not only my son, but for the Autistic community in general.
I get that. I have a history of abuse and spent a lot of time being people's chew toy in general, but without those experiences I might never have thought about why it's so important that the rights of disabled people, and vulnerable people in general, are respected. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't have become the person I am today. Not that I don't get the usual twitchiness and nightmares and general aftereffects you get when you've survived that kind of stuff; not that it isn't unpleasant. But I think I'd rather be me, with bad memories and compassion, than the kind of person who goes merrily about their life, looking the other way when people suffer, because it's not their problem.

Autism Memorial:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:45 am

I'm reading these posts and realise I have not experienced 90% of the problems some of you been through (particularly Callista and Vicky Glietz), I appreciate you are still positive enough to share with us on this forum.