Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Rachel123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

Hi

I stumbled across this site from googling.

My son has recently been referred by the school he's at for autism. Since then I've read lots and lots about this, my BFF has a son with low functioning autism. Anyway, the more I read the more I feel it's me all over. I have no friends, people try to befriend me but I push them away. Anything out of the ordinary sends me to despair.. There are more than several things which make me feel that I could possibly have aspergers. I live on but I really do not want my son to feel misplaced like I do. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 6:59 pm

Hi Rachel!

I am a bit of a noob myself so let me just say hello and you have come to the right place for support. I struggled many years not knowing I had the condition and like most I have found ways of better fitting into the NT world. Now that I know, I hope to find out more about myself and learn coping strategies for this condition. As you are aware, there is no cure and doesn't (in my mind) mean that we are sick in the traditional sense. Best thing I have seen here is our brains are wired different and things that are obvious to others are not to us. Knowing we are different, we can apply learned behaviour to overcome many of the difficulties. For me it is a relief to know I am not crazy. It explains so much of what has gone on in my life. I knew I was different but had no understanding why.

Edit:

The following thread contains some online assessments that can help identify if you are someone with HFA. Mind you it takes a doctor to really diagnose it, but chances are if you have this condition it will show up quite readily.

Web Page Name

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 8:02 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

SolinaJoki
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2014, 2:51 pm

Rachel123 wrote:
Anyway, the more I read the more I feel it's me all over.

I totally identify. Both of my kids turn out to be high functioning autistic. I saw myself all over in the descriptions of what applied to them. I have not been "diagnosed" as HFA but all that really matters to me is that I see myself here. Finally, I can stop trying to be "normal" and work at accepting who I am and how my body and mind feel in this world.

I think your son will really benefit from your knowing all about how the world appears to him through your reading and understanding yourself. For instance, had my mother understood that clothes actually hurt my body, she might have been more gentle with me. Had I known that my child really could not learn his multiplication tables because of how his brain was wired, rather than just not trying, it would have been very different for the both of us.

I think that your understanding of autism will prevent your son from feeling misplaced, because you will understand him.

Welcome.