Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:05 am

I know there are lots of roads with speed limits that are too low, but what about roads with high speed limits? In my town, there is one such road that goes through a very built-up area, is mostly a 6-lane road with 10 ft (3 m)-wide outside shoulders and has a speed limit of, get this, 50 mph (~80 km/h)! What's funny is that during the day, as you weave your way through traffic trying to get past all the slowpokes, you look down at your speedometer and you still find that you're only going like 40 or 45 mph! You can't even go the speed limit, LOL!

I imagine it's a spot where cops can't get much in the way of speeding tickets.

I'd say that for a speed limit, it's just perfect! :D

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 3:32 am

I don't think speed limits could ever be high enough for some people because it has nothing to do with going fast. Some people just cannot tolerate someone else being in front of them, even if they are going nowhere in particular with no time limit

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 12:37 am

Some people don't know how to drive and get scared. Interesting the speed limits on major highways here were actually slowed down in the standard to metric conversion by about 10-20 km/h in the 1970's or 80's, one reason the roads feel so slow here as a highway with a 100km/h limit was designed for and was formally 120 km/h, the speed most people actually drive. A relic of the fuel crisis as they were trying to save fuel with a lower limit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 2:53 am

IMHO, most speed limits are too damned low! :x

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 9:53 am

I think a speed limit is too low if the freeway is straight and in the middle of nowhere and there are barely any cars. I would go faster if there was no limit but I have to go the maximum speed it's set at. It's like this out in Oregon on interstate 84 after you leave the gorge and the canyon and before you get to the junction that takes you to interstate 82. I also think the same about interstate 90 between Spokane and Yakima and my mom was once going 90 on it outside of Yakima and I told her she is going that fast and she didn't even know she was until I said something so she slowed down.

Then sometimes I think the speed limit is too high because of lot of traffic and I am too nervous to go the speed and there are all these curves. That is why I don't like driving on certain roads because I get anxiety. I am calmer if there isn't lot of traffic and I can go the speed a lot easier. But yet people hate slow drivers but isn't that the reason why we have the law about keeping to the right if you're going slow? Slower traffic keep to the right. If you want to go the speed, drive in the faster lane. But people make a gripe about having to pass someone. We do that a lot here and it's not illegal. If the freeway is two lanes for each side. Everyone drives on the right and then when you pass someone, you go in the left lane and pass them and get back in the right lane. Then when you get closer to the city, there are more cars in the left lane because they are passing other cars that are in the right lane. Some people think tailgating is going to make you drive any faster but what they don't know is some people just drive slower or keep the speed and if they are unlucky, the driver may just slam on their breaks so you can rear end them and you are at fault because of the law. Even if you are going the speed limit, someone will still tailgate you. Some people are in a hurry and want to go fast and my pet peeve is they don't even pass you so you go in the other lane so they can go ahead of you because they were too lazy to go in the next lane themselves to pass. I have also pulled over on roads so tailgaters can pass because they wanted to go fast and I was going the speed limit. One time the roads were icy and some lady behind us was tailgating us so my mom decides to pull over to let her pass and instead she finally passes us and my mom was peeved by that because she couldn't even wait for us to pull over so she can do her dangerous driving. :roll: There was snow for god's sake so the roads were icy and snowy and she wanted to go fast on it. Some people do drive unsafe in the weather and I hear you can also get a ticket for going the speed limit because of the road conditions and you were not doing safe driving. That lady behind us could have gotten one if an officer caught her driving like that.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Try the Autobahn in Germany, no speed limits for most of the time 8O

There's something special about 120 mph and it does wonders for the concentration.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:
Try the Autobahn in Germany, no speed limits for most of the time 8O

There's something special about 120 mph and it does wonders for the concentration.

those lucky speeders.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:01 am

Back in the 1990s I took a trip to Montana, when there was no daytime speed limit what so ever. It was fun. I drove across the entire state at 90 - 100 mph, and no worry of getting a ticket.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:04 am

Max000 wrote:
Back in the 1990s I took a trip to Montana, when there was no daytime speed limit what so ever. It was fun. I drove across the entire state at 90 - 100 mph, and no worry of getting a ticket.

at about that same time it made the news that the Montana bulls pulled over a caravan of Mercedes automobiles from the manufacturer, for driving 100 miles per hour.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:15 am

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
at about that same time it made the news that the Montana bulls pulled over a caravan of Mercedes automobiles from the manufacturer, for driving 100 miles per hour.

LOL, 100 mph, the highway patrol would have just passed them up and keep on going. Try a Corvette at 150 mph.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfS-aLiIZ8[/youtube]

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:30 am

it made the news because Mercedes benz squawked about it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 2:15 am

Max000 wrote:

I remember my ex telling me about it but when I lived there from 98-07, there were speed limits so sometime in the 90's they put in speed limits. They used to not have any seat belt laws either and I think they finally made it a law after we moved there. Montana seems to be behind in laws.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.