difference between NT and autistic perseveration

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 9:59 pm

I tend to perseverate on things other people might consider odd, whether they are ordinary interests (such as cats and other animals) taken to degrees others consider extreme, or subjects unusual for somebody my age (such as Roger Bannister).

squaretail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2007, 10:16 pm

Nitro - I took that test and it said I was INTP - not sure what that is! And yes, odd psychology runs through both my and my wife's family. My dad's a raging, non-functional alcholic. My aunt's on disability for some unknown psychological problem (she's friendly, but nuts, apparently). My neice has ADHD. On my wife's side, my wife has a nephew with diagnosed Asperger's. She has a 40 year old brother who can't really function in society - he's in and out of jail, doesn't have a driver's license, doesn't have steady work - that sort of thing. It's no wonder my poor children have the problems they have!

ZanneMarie - that explains it a bit. When I get into hyper-focus and am obsessing, I can get to a point where I become unaware and unresponsive to mild external stimuli - my wife gets pissed because she'll try to get my attention and I won't hear her - but she thinks I'm intentionally ignoring her. It's caused a spat or two!

That said, I am aware when I'm in this mode, and can break away from it when I need to without distress and move on to whatever else needs tending to. The obsession might stay in the back of my mind, but I can certainly block it out and attend to other life's needs. I guess, It sounds like I have more concious control over it that you do, as an Aspie. I can choose when and where to obsess, am aware that I'm doing it, and can break away from it without much trouble.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 10:23 pm

You may not have the trait as bad. I feed into it. If I concentrated on it, I could stop it, but I don't want to, so I keep doing it. I also was indulged with it, even as a kid. I was allowed to write all the time in school because I always aced my tests and turned in all my work. I would say I was more inclined that way and just decided to take it to the extreme because I liked it. I think most of us like it. It makes us feel good - more relaxed, happy, etc.

mcewen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2007, 11:13 am

squaretail wrote:
Many NTs perseverate on certain subjects and have the ability to hyper-focus. These traits are commonly seen in the engineering and scientific disciplines. I'm a software engineer, and an NT, and I can attest to this.

Why, then, is perseveration and hyper-focus so often seen as evidence of an ASD, when in reality, these traits just seem to be a useful personality characteristic - neither autistic or NT - just "human".

Are the types of obsessions that autistic people have fundamentally different than the types of obsessions that occupy the minds of certain NTs?

Tricky. I have two autistic boys, but I also have two neurotypical girls - you could ascribe the differences of perseveration to autism, but with mine I just think it's character.
Cheers
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 12:17 pm

Autistic spectrum conditions are likely polygenic, and it probably takes enough of these genes combined with prenatal conditions to trigger the development of the full autistic disorder or even Asperger's syndrome. This means even many NTs have a few autistic traits even if they're still definitively NeuroTypical. If you have relatives who have an autistic spectrum disorder, your chances of having these genes are increased.

Simon Baron-Cohen has found that people in engineering, mathematical, and physical scientific disciplines tend to score higher on his Autistic Quotient (AQ) test than people in some other disciplines.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 7:55 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Well remember, the symptom is not just that we have obsessions, but that we will do them to the exclusion of any other interest.

Perfect example. I will write for hours and days without eating, sleeping or stopping. I won't notice anything that needs to be done. I won't notice bills to be paid. I won't notice work. I won't notice anything. Basically, someone has to intervene and stop it. Almost like resetting me. Then, I'll be pissed because I don't want to stop. I'll probably have a big meltdown and get pissed off at dh and I might even run away. Finally, I'll come back and be what an NT would term "more balanced." Meaning, I'll eat if he puts the food in front of me. I'll go to bed if he tells me it's time. I'll go to work. And I won't have a meltdown until the next time I let my interest take over like that.

I have a few others as well and they can also get out of hand, but writing is the best one because I get so extreme.

That is vastly different than an NT obsession. Even my OCD husband never goes that far with his order and rules.

it's what makes my nt husband crazy, he can't understand it, he takes it personally, thinking i'm ignoring him or something
it's also what makes me wonder whether i'd be able to survive on my own (with a strict routine perhaps it might be possible?)
i wish i could control obsessions more,
the only thing i'm capable of is forbid myself doing things i can't stop, when i'm not 'in' it, that's possible (this almost always works but sometimes it doesn't)

squaretail, if you don't get stuck in obsessions, how do you do it? could you trie to explain what happens?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 2:26 pm

BeautyWithin wrote:
Have you tried the aspie quiz?
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

RDOS's aspie quiz is an amateur creation and not a professionally verified questionnaire.

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2007, 3:07 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
BeautyWithin wrote:
Have you tried the aspie quiz?
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

RDOS's aspie quiz is an amateur creation and not a professionally verified questionnaire.

I never said that it was a diagnostic tool.