Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blackmetal83092
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 46

20 Mar 2014, 4:30 am

Morgan Freeman said in his 60 minutes interview when asked about Mississippi's flag, "I don't want a black history month. The way to solve this problem is simply not to talk about it." The Journalist was curious and asked why he didn't want a black history month, to which Freeman replied, "I understand you're Jewish?" "Yes." "Do you want a Jewish History Month?" "No." "Exactly."

The only type of media representation that will improve our way of living and relations with the ruling majority is the representation of those trying to find a cure. The ruling majority will respond much better to, "I can't help it but people are trying to find a cure.", instead of "I can't help it and you have to accept me."

I don't tell anybody outside of my family about my condition, I've gotten to a point where I'm able to hide it rather well.

I find it to be an abysmal approach to reveal what should be hidden onto a national spotlight and then turn around and complain about bullying and mistreatment.

People know what Autism is, people know that Doctors, Chemists, and other scientists are looking for a cure.

The best way to keep out of trouble with the ruling majority is simply to keep our mouths shut until a cure is found or medicinal cannabis for those with our condition is approved world/nation-wide.

So I say stop talking about it, stop giving the bully ammunition.


_________________
One love.


Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,630
Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

20 Mar 2014, 7:51 am

Why should it be hidden, and why should being openly autistic be justification for bullying?


_________________
Music Theory 101: Cadences.
Authentic cadence: V-I
Plagal cadence: IV-I
Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I


Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,612

20 Mar 2014, 7:53 am

blackmetal83092 wrote:
So I say stop talking about it, stop giving the bully ammunition.


Last time I informed myself, bullies were shitty people. So exactly why, should I care for, what shitty people do or think?



dc2610
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2013
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 64

20 Mar 2014, 9:25 am

Morgan Freeman is an ass who has his head stuck up his ass. He doesn't represent nor speak for every black person in this country. Just because he went to Hollywood and got lucky driving Miss Daisy he thinks that racism, hatred and prejudice don't exist anymore. He probably hates when people ask him questions like this because it reminds him that he's black. He acts like he HATES being black.

Being black isn't something to be ashamed of and neither is being autistic. There have always been marginalized groups in this country and all over the world who've always had to fight to be treated with respect and dignity and to be given the same rights as the status quo.

Has Morgan Freeman ever done anything for anybody but himself?

That's like telling black people not to mention they're black because then no one will notice. And when they don't notice we're black anymore they'll just automatically give us the right to vote. Cuz, you know, that's how slavery ended.

That isn't how the civil rights movement came about.



NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 201
Location: Daydream

20 Mar 2014, 10:43 am

I don't think hiding things in the dark or pretending they don't exist is a very good solution. We live in a society that likes to pretend it is tolerant but at the end of the day there are still a lot of bigoted people. As for finding a cure there are many people that would not want it anyway. There condition is a part of who they are and they have learned to accept that and be happy with it. I wish we could live in a society where we can all be who we are without be ridiculed or excluded. I've personally spent years trying to fit into a mold I could never fit in to. It's only in the last year that I've started to accept who I am and care less what other people may think about me that I've been able to find happiness.

Coming back to the point. People need to be aware that some of us are different for various reasons. Be that race, colour, sexual orientation or neurological make-up. We should all accept people for who they are regardless of those thing. When we finally live in a society that does that then maybe we can sit back and be less vocal.


_________________
A FireWire connector in a USB world.


Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,867

20 Mar 2014, 12:26 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Why should it be hidden, and why should being openly autistic be justification for bullying?


Exactly what I was about to say.

We shouldn't have to hide who we are just because people are immature d**kheads, they're the one's who should have to hide, not us. Society has a habit of punishing the just and encouraging the wicked (as it were), that needs to stop, and the only way that will stop is if society's spotlight is put on the situation, where bullies are exposed and shunned for their actions.

Not talking about that problem is precisely why the situation is ignored, people don't understand that it's happening right now, to us. If this truly is the "evolved society" that many claim, then why is it that every choice made by that society proves otherwise? Answer: Because society is still just as bad now as it was 500 years ago, the only difference is that mobs can't quite get away with burning us all at the stake for witchcraft (or some other thing).

It needs to be exposed, or nothing will change.


_________________
Writer. Author.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,563
Location: Long Island, New York

20 Mar 2014, 12:33 pm

I got bullied for my autistic traits well before I or anybody else knew I was autistic. My job situation was hurt in part because of my autistic traits before I or anybody else knew I was Autistic. So why should I think keeping the status quo is a good thing? I also on occasion have been praised and had good things happen because of my autistic traits. Why would I want a cure that eliminated these? Why would I not want to let people know the things they like about me are autistic traits?

It is good you re able to hide it since that is what you want, but what about those who can't?, Are we to just let them keep on being bullied and discriminated against while we wait for a cure? Don't be so sure you won't burn out from constantly trying to hide who you are. If that happens to you before the cure I would like you to get support which won't happen if we do not advocate.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 201
Location: Daydream

20 Mar 2014, 3:26 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I got bullied for my autistic traits well before I or anybody else knew I was autistic. My job situation was hurt in part because of my autistic traits before I or anybody else knew I was Autistic. So why should I think keeping the status quo is a good thing? I also on occasion have been praised and had good things happen because of my autistic traits. Why would I want a cure that eliminated these? Why would I not want to let people know the things they like about me are autistic traits?

It is good you re able to hide it since that is what you want, but what about those who can't?, Are we to just let them keep on being bullied and discriminated against while we wait for a cure? Don't be so sure you won't burn out from constantly trying to hide who you are. If that happens to you before the cure I would like you to get support which won't happen if we do not advocate.


+1


_________________
A FireWire connector in a USB world.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,087
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

22 Mar 2014, 8:54 pm

Even if I didn't talk about it I would still get crap for being weird...though plenty of people dont really care about that. Not to mention in my state pot is legal so much of the time people might just assume you're stoned if you seem weird. I run into situations where people don't care how weird I am and sometimes I am out in public and can feel people giving me weird looks and then I just feel very uncomfortable and head home...But i can still hang out around my somewhat younger brother and his freinds and feel somewhat comfortable....so it kind of depends on the people what reaction you get.


I think in some situations it would not be a good idea to mention if I have any mental conditions, because regardless of how unjust it is in some situations people don't care....but in other situations people don't really give a damn of your personally life or if you are working or on SSI some people just want people to relate to....so for me it is always a matter of who I am dealing with. Some people I would never mention my mental conditions around but i feel if its people I trust then I can be more open about it.

So I suppose I somewhat agree but I think in some situations and contexts its alright to talk about it, but in some situations it might invite unwanted aggression from others.


_________________
Lucy in the sky with Diamonds.


Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 641

23 Mar 2014, 8:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Even if I didn't talk about it I would still get crap for being weird


This.



vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,757
Location: pueblo colorado

23 Mar 2014, 10:33 am

I feel a responsibility to the young Autistics[ particularly youngest son] and future generations be open, loud, and proud to be Autistic. The general public is NOT aware of what being Autistic really is like. We cannot be accepted and be fairly accommodated and included if we are not out there explaining and teaching.Those of you who can pass, and do, I do not say good on you. I say shame on you for turning your back on your brothers and sisters who are so discriminated against,

Those of you who can pass- particularly those who pass and are recognized as brilliant- need to be the ones paving the way for the rest of us. It might not be right, but the fact of the matter is that during the civil rights movement of the 60s'it was the successful black people who were first accepted by the white majority, who "stepped up to the plate" and ushered in [comparative] acceptance of other black people.

Me? Hell, I used to be such a great actress I think I had myself mostly fooled] Now? Not at all. As a matter of fact I face more discrimination because I am one of those "uppity" Autistics who doesn't follow the rules of sitting quietly in the corner "behaving myself" I break the rules further because I am not young. For one thing, old ladies are not supposed to be Autistic. For another, old people, just like autistic people, are supposed to be quiet in a corner, grateful for the smallest acknowledgement from those who are "truly" acceptable.

I cannot and will not ignore bullying and demonization of anyone, especially my own people. And any Autistic who does, is not only allowing others to suffer, but is emotionally harming himself. How? Because one inate trait in us as autistics is our strong sense of integrity, of fairness. When we do not step out in integrity we are denying one of the most awesome parts of who we are.



Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2013
Age: 1020
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,863
Location: Erehwon

23 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

Morgan Freeman is a highly successful, widely liked person

It's understandable that he thinks just getting on with it is the best way of countering prejudice. If the old saying, "living well is the best revenge," then he has more than gotten his own back at all the racist twits in the world.

But, it is possible that he was able to do this in part because of the advocates of civil rights and "black is beautiful."

What he says makes a kind of sense: you have to live your life in the small moments and encounters with individual people, when it usually doesn't make sense to make everything political and part of a movement and cause--but you may need the ideas of that movement to give you the strength to get through those individual encounters, especially when they are bad.



MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,602

23 Mar 2014, 11:33 am

I don't think he meant sweeping things under the rug or hiding. Applied to these situations, you can be open about your autism without needing to relate everything back to it. (I know, it can be easier said than done.)

It's about acknowledging a part without needing to be totally defined it.



Shield
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 39

23 Mar 2014, 10:44 pm

So your argument is to do nothing? Sit quietly and take it? You think if you hide who you are, fake it well enough, take it long enough this 'ruling majority' is going to suddenly welcome you with open arms? And is that welcome they give you -after everything they've done, every judgment and ill treatment you've endured quietly -really worth anything at all?

Let me know how that works out for you.



Shield
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 39

23 Mar 2014, 10:46 pm

Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Even if I didn't talk about it I would still get crap for being weird


This.


Yes.