kid sneaks to top of World Trade Center

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 1:19 am

This is the kind of youthful stupidity that can get a bunch of people killed. The desire for attention, fame and all the rest of the garbage that young people want so blindly that it is dangerous. I don't know what might become of a snoozing security guard, but it would be deserved. I think the punishment for the kid should be more severe than for the guard though. He is old enough to know better. He could have gotten just as much fame by taking the picture and reporting it to authorities.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... book_nymag

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:36 am

That's awesome.

I fail to see how it would get a "bunch" of people killed though.

Sure, he should be punished for trespassing, but nothing more.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 9:52 am

Magneto wrote:
That's awesome.

do you forget about terrorism, and what happened on that location 13 years aqo. Do you think it is wise to highlight weaknesses with security at the site when there are still groups and people out in the world who view that building as a target?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:58 am

If there are people out to exploit weaknesses, highlighting weaknesses is *exactly* what should be happening. If you uncover a weakness and go to the people responsible, they'll take ages to patch it. If you tell everyone, then they'll have to patch it immediately.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:33 am

Magneto wrote:
If there are people out to exploit weaknesses, highlighting weaknesses is *exactly* what should be happening. If you uncover a weakness and go to the people responsible, they'll take ages to patch it. If you tell everyone, then they'll have to patch it immediately.

You must be a big fan of "Dr." Phil.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Lolwut?

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 4:30 pm

khaoz wrote:
Magneto wrote:

You must be a big fan of "Dr." Phil.

It is "Dr" Phil method of Psychology to exploit human suffering by publicly humiliating or shaming his "patients" into conforming. People think that public shaming is entertainment, and that is a method of embarrassing people into compliance.

That is the problem with todays society. People no longer understand the skill of using words to communicate. Or perhaps people just no longer have the patience to use words in a skillful manner. Now it is all about force and intimidation. This kid was not trying to expose weaknesses in security. He was trying to make himself famous. The "exposing" of flawed security was an afterthought.

There are more civilized, and safer ways, to communicate these security flaws to those responsible for securing the site, but then, no one would become famous and potentially financially profit, from doing things the sane way.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 4:32 pm

Ummmm, that would be the new building, Freedom Tower or whatever they're calling it this week. I thought for a moment that someone had rebuilt the twin towers.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 4:47 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:
Ummmm, that would be the new building, Freedom Tower or whatever they're calling it this week. I thought for a moment that someone had rebuilt the twin towers.

Yes, which is exactly why this kids actions are so irresponsible.

On a much smaller scale, a couple years back, I was with my sister as she went through the drive through lane of her local bank. As she was doing her transaction, I glanced to my right and noticed the keys hanging out of the back of the ATM machine. I could have taken many paths to use that incident to advance my own agenda, but instead, I just told my sister to write a note in the pneumatic tube informing the teller about the keys. Problem solved. No one publicly shamed, no attention to myself or the bank, and we drove calmly off into the sunset. Have never seen that incident repeated at that bank. Easy peasy. Civilized.

Happy ending.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Magneto wrote:
That's awesome.

I don't really see how it would get people killed either.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:21 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Magneto wrote:
That's awesome.

You don't think there are terrorists who would love another chance at that target. And this kind of idiocy will give them things to think about. We say we want to keep humanity safe but every time we find a flaw in security, we want to immediately broadcast it to the world for our own personal gain. Lets just broadcast is on Youtube, get a few million few for the cute kid. I think sometimes I forget the age of people responding to things here. Seem to have no clue about the world beyond the bedroom window.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

So, he broadcasts it to the world, and suddenly security is tightened such that it is now impossible to do again. Or, he doesn't, and someone else comes up with it independently and causes a major incident. You prefer the latter?

Oh, and organisations =/= people, despite what legal fiction says.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 6:24 pm

Magneto wrote:
So, he broadcasts it to the world, and suddenly security is tightened such that it is now impossible to do again. Or, he doesn't, and someone else comes up with it independently and causes a major incident. You prefer the latter?

Oh, and organisations =/= people, despite what legal fiction says.
He could have reported to the proper authorities the security flaws he had exposed. Do you think they would not have taken measures to fix the damage with the same proof he posted on twitter? Or do you think the only way to change things is to tell the world that it is possible to breach security? I am an adult, I prefer discretion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

khaoz wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Magneto wrote:
That's awesome.

You don't think there are terrorists who would love another chance at that target. And this kind of idiocy will give them things to think about. We say we want to keep humanity safe but every time we find a flaw in security, we want to immediately broadcast it to the world for our own personal gain. Lets just broadcast is on Youtube, get a few million few for the cute kid. I think sometimes I forget the age of people responding to things here. Seem to have no clue about the world beyond the bedroom window.

There could be, though I imagine terrorists who want to blow crap up will do so unless they are caught beforehand, I don't think a 14 year old kid who probably was just being an immature but daring 14 year old was really thinking 'wow I hope terrorists blow this building up?' So it indicates the security was lacking....now it will likely be improved so I don't see any real harm done.

Also though not sure it would make sense to hit the exact same target again....and I certainly don't think this kid needs to be charged with anything more serious than trespassing and mischief or whatever.

And yeah I have a clue about the world beyond my bedroom window, I just think the terrorist thing is kind of jumping to conclusions I think at this point the government is more to fear than foreign terrorists but that is just my opinion.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 10:06 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
khaoz wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Magneto wrote:
That's awesome.

There could be, though I imagine terrorists who want to blow crap up will do so unless they are caught beforehand, I don't think a 14 year old kid who probably was just being an immature but daring 14 year old was really thinking 'wow I hope terrorists blow this building up?' So it indicates the security was lacking....now it will likely be improved so I don't see any real harm done.

Also though not sure it would make sense to hit the exact same target again....and I certainly don't think this kid needs to be charged with anything more serious than trespassing and mischief or whatever.

And yeah I have a clue about the world beyond my bedroom window, I just think the terrorist thing is kind of jumping to conclusions I think at this point the government is more to fear than foreign terrorists but that is just my opinion.
I understand what you are saying. I just don't think its a good idea to give people ideas and suggestions. I am sure the government has enough trouble to keep up with trying to keep someone from killing the black man in Washington. Don't need to give bad people even more ideas.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 3:11 pm

khaoz wrote:
Magneto wrote:
That's awesome.

do you forget about terrorism, and what happened on that location 13 years aqo. Do you think it is wise to highlight weaknesses with security at the site when there are still groups and people out in the world who view that building as a target?

Better question. Why would it not be wise to highlight weaknesses with security? If you are really interested in security, and not just the image of it.