Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you have a (sensory) problem with socks?
No problem with socks. I can wear them around the house. 42%  42%  [ 31 ]
Some problem. I only wear them when I need to wear shoes, or if it's very very cold. 38%  38%  [ 28 ]
I do not wear socks at all. I find them annoying, and wear shoes without socks, or wear sandals. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Other (please comment) 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 74

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 8:39 am

How do you deal with socks?

I find them so annoying. If I complain it's cold, my mum always tells me to put socks on, but I hate them. They're slippery, they fall off your feet, and they choke my ankles and make imprints in my skin.
I only wear them with shoes, like trainers or boots. I don't wear them if I wear sandals in the summer.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 9:24 am

I went with other. I only wear the socks that don't go above the ankle, like they're only on the foot, if that make sense. I hate any socks that go above the ankle, apart from ski socks and walking socks but that because they are in walking boots or ski boots so they're not an issue.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:49 am

I wear socks (ONLY with shoes) but very picky

they have to be non-colored and just above the ankle, can't be ankle or "crew" or higher AND they have to have the bent shape (can't be tube socks)

if my feet get cold at home I prefer tucking them under me while sitting and if I walk I wear slippers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

I love socks. OP, you may be more comfortable if you can find some that fit well.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:52 am

tetris wrote:
I went with other. I only wear the socks that don't go above the ankle, like they're only on the foot, if that make sense. I hate any socks that go above the ankle, apart from ski socks and walking socks but that because they are in walking boots or ski boots so they're not an issue.
I LOVE my ski socks and bike socks. Technical socks are awesome.

Wreck It Ralph

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

I went with other as I have a weird habit when it comes to socks. Most of the time, and I usually don't notice til it's pointed out to me, I'll go around the house only wearing one sock on one foot, but no sock on the other. Subconsciously it's like I'm most comfortable that way. Anyone else do this or is it just one of my weird quirks?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:58 am

I'm a sock person and have no problem with them. I can't stand to go barefoot and feel dirt on my feet and them sweating and sticking on the floor or furniture and having to feel my naked skin on my feet rubbing against each other.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:38 am

Arcnarenth wrote:
I went with other as I have a weird habit when it comes to socks. Most of the time, and I usually don't notice til it's pointed out to me, I'll go around the house only wearing one sock on one foot, but no sock on the other. Subconsciously it's like I'm most comfortable that way. Anyone else do this or is it just one of my weird quirks?

wow no! I love being barefoot, and I wear socks when I have to - but if one foot has anything the other has to - unevenness is a sensory issue

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 11:46 am

As a child, I strongly disliked the way socks constricted my toes or the way that the seam at the toe part of the socks felt; nowadays, however, I am so hypersensitive to the cold that I almost always am wearing socks, even when I am not wearing shoes. I guess I habituated to the feeling of toe constriction and to the seams (though some new socks do take me a few wears to get used to, and I still absolutely cannot stand wearing those socks with the separated toes).

Arcnarenth wrote:

I've heard of many individuals having to sleep with one foot under the blanket and one foot out of it; perhaps is this the waking compliment to that phenomenon (supposedly, it has something to do with keeping one's perceived temperature "just right"; perhaps you feel too cold with no socks but too warm with two socks, so you keep on one sock to maintain balance)?

I have this occasional stim where I will roll down one of my socks so that only the toes are covered by the socks and rub the arch of the un-socked foot with the socked foot.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 12:47 pm

Sometimes I wear socks,sometimes I don't.My biggest problem with socks has always been matching up pairs. I like socks with designs on them but for years only bought a particular brand and style of white socks so that I would not have a sock matching problem.

I am so thankful to this younger generation for starting the deliberately mismatched socks trend because now I can wear whatever socks I choose to without matching pairs.

I do though, LOVE going barefoot.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 12:54 pm

I have 'gotten over' a problem with socks to some extent. They bothered me a hell of a lot when I was younger, but I think I have become more accustomed to them, because I can tolerate them fairly well now.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:13 pm

hate socks,find them very uncomfortable, only use them with footwear to stop blisters and a loose fit.
used to be a barefooter,even up to adult and before that woud go everywhere without socks or footwear on unless was physicaly held back by support staff and had them forced on.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 1:18 pm

I like wearing them when it's cold, but other than that I usually can't stand them. I find they constrict my feet too much, and cause them to get all sweaty.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 2:20 pm

I hate socks. I only wear them with boots in cold weather. The rest of the year I wear slip-on shoes or flip flops. I wear flip flops year round inside the house.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

Yeah, I don't have a major sensory issue with them, it's not torturous to wear them or anything but I much prefer my feel sock-free. As a child I'd always fling them off whenever my mum put them on or when I got home and she took my shoes off. She reminds me of this when she sees me take my socks off as one of the first things I do after coming home at age 29. :lol: I normally just wear them outside with shoes in the cold weather or if I don't have any flip-flops or sandals in the spring.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

I'm okay with wearing socks, and usually wear them during colder weather, when I go to work as part of my dress code, and when I exercise. Otherwise, I am just as comfortable being barefoot or wearing sandals in warmer weather.