Child-kidnapping excused for ''Cultural differences''.

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Life is too short for this level of engagement with every crackpot and bs artist.

You really don't need to give young earth creationists or flat earth believers or racists the time of day.

What level of engagement? Listening to what they have to say before dismissing them out of hand? Strange beliefs and intelligence are not mutually exclusive, despite what a lot of people seem to think.

i didn't dismiss them out of hand, i dismissed them because they openly trumpeted their bias in the site's banner, which shows up at the top of every page. and it wasn't even just bias, it was flat-out offensive and intentionally inflammatory. how much farther do i need to read before i've given them a "fair shake"?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

starvingartist wrote:
i didn't dismiss them out of hand, i dismissed them because they openly trumpeted their bias in the site's banner, which shows up at the top of every page. and it wasn't even just bias, it was flat-out offensive and intentionally inflammatory. how much farther do i need to read before i've given them a "fair shake"?

Again, biased is not the same thing as wrong; Rush Limbaugh is biased, but if he says that it's raining outside, that does not mean it isn't. Basic critical thinking.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2014, 4:41 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Again, biased is not the same thing as wrong; Rush Limbaugh is biased, but if he says that it's raining outside, that does not mean it isn't. Basic critical thinking.

Did you read the article and look for an opposite viewpoint?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:48 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Life is too short for this level of engagement with every crackpot and bs artist.

You really don't need to give young earth creationists or flat earth believers or racists the time of day.

What level of engagement? Listening to what they have to say before dismissing them out of hand? Strange beliefs and intelligence are not mutually exclusive, despite what a lot of people seem to think.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

31 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

Dox47 wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

This may be true, but if Limbaugh or many others like him told me it was raining outside, he has been wrong so often that I would want to look out of the window and check, especially if I thought he had reason to make me want to think it was raining outside when it wasn't, or if I thought he had reason to delude himself into believing it was raining outside when it wasn't.

In fact, I think I'd rather have a look for myself than accept Rush Limbaugh's word for anything, so I probably wouldn't bother asking him.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:55 pm

Do I also need to cover that offensive and inflammatory aren't the same as wrong either?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:57 pm

Niall wrote:
This may be true, but if Limbaugh or many others like him told me it was raining outside, he has been wrong so often that I would want to look out of the window and check, especially if I thought he had reason to make me want to think it was raining outside when it wasn't, or if I thought he had reason to delude himself into believing it was raining outside when it wasn't.

In fact, I think I'd rather have a look for myself than accept Rush Limbaugh's word for anything, so I probably wouldn't bother asking him.

Again though, you'd check for yourself, because Rush Limbaugh saying something does not automatically mean it's wrong, which is my entire point in a nutshell.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

31 Mar 2014, 5:08 pm

My point is that, under most circumstances, I wouldn't bother asking the view of some right-wing nutjob in the first place.

There is a reason this story wasn't covered by the (notoriously often right-wing) media: very little happened. It's a non-story, of the order of "Small earthquake in Outer Mongolia: child frightened".

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:03 pm

Niall wrote:
My point is that, under most circumstances, I wouldn't bother asking the view of some right-wing nutjob in the first place.

So you'll just stay in a left wing bubble then?

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Niall wrote:

So you'll just stay in a left wing bubble then?

Oh, I read their motivated reasoning and flagrant lies in order to understand how they think, how they try to get the gullible and stupid to go along with acting against their own best interests and sometimes to call them out on their deceit, but I don't take any of what they say seriously. They have lost all hope of that.

These are the nutjobs that insist global warming is a myth, who will lie or mislead about individual immigrants in order to slander all of them (which is where we started) and insist the poor, sick and disabled are to blame for their misfortune, whose ideal government resembles Somalia's, and so on. They're a menace to any hope of living in a decent society.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:22 pm

^

You seem a little, well, biased, maybe not that different than the people you're condemning.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2014, 7:30 pm

Dox47 wrote:
^

You seem a little, well, biased, maybe not that different than the people you're condemning.

Am I biased against those who would harm others in order to protect their own short-term best interests, as in all of the above examples?

Yes. I do, however, think I'm different from them, because I do not do this, and call out those who do. These are the kind of "people" who happily hurt people like me and my friends, not because they have to, but because they want to. We have words for people like that, but I'd get modded for repeating them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
^

The difference is, Niall seems to err on the side of inclusiveness and doing right by others. Pretty different from the crowd associating all immigrants with the actions of one pedophile.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
^

The difference is, Niall seems to err on the side of inclusiveness and doing right by others. Pretty different from the crowd associating all immigrants with the actions of one pedophile.

amen, brother. +1

oops, am i cheerleading? :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:45 pm

Yes, you are cheerleading, but thank you. 8)

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

From me too.

It's an unusual experience...