Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2014, 9:19 am

I have been looking for a physical activity to start as I am not exercising near as much as I need to be. I have LOTS of sensory concerns, but going to a class helps me stick with a routine (I know, bad combination). Any ideas though anyone? I did martial arts with some success before and have considered taking that up again but have not had luck in finding a school here I like. I like to swim sometimes. I have also considered yoga and tai chi. Running was ok, but I actually get really bored. Sometimes I like rock climbing and such (my university has a rock climbing wall). Yoga is the one I am most interested in right now. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone know of anything else I might like? Thanks!

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:58 am

I've done quite a bit of yoga. I like that it can be as relaxing or as strenuous as you want to make it. Why don't you go along and take a class or two and see how you get on?

I find the key to exercise is to do something you enjoy, then you will stick with it. I really have to push myself to run, and so I find I keep making excuses to not go. However, you can't keep me out of the dance studio. It's great when exercise is something you actually look forward to instead of dreading.

Do you have a friend who could join you in an activity? That always helps to keep you on track, and they may be able to help distract you from some of your sensory issues.

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2014, 11:14 am

Its good you're considering more exercise. I personally also found running boring until I learnt of the 0-5k NHS challenge. You run along to the downloads and its a 9 week schedule so if you're like me and like set goals and routine then its great. It also isn't boring because a woman talks to you throughout. I just thought that as maybe an option.
Otherwise I 2nd going to a yoga class as a brilliant idea.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:46 pm

Martial arts is what did the most good for me balancing sensory and routine.
I do have a teacher who was told about my autism and sensory problems and learning needs. And he was very understanding if I needed to leave the mat and hide when the neighbors had loud music.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm

These are great ideas. Thanks!

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 12:58 am

I would suggest free diving. I just use a mask and fins and don't use a snorkel. A mask is better then goggles because you can swim up side down and not get water in you nose. What really nice about being underwater is that virtually all sensory assaults are gone. It's the most tranquil place to be(especially if your autistic) and the better you get at holding you breath. The longer you can stay down.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2014, 1:49 pm

I have tried youga but I didn't experience all these painful and uncomfortable yoga positions as relaxing. It actually had the opposite effect on me. Been there done that, never again!