Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 11:04 am

I orginally visited this site because my 12 year old PDD-NOS son was looking for a child's forum to post in. Things being what they are, I wanted to make sure this was a safe, family friendly site.

I stuck around because I find this to be an interesting site. It has people from all over the world, in a varierty of occupations, with a wide range of ages and interests. Its just an intersting site in and of itself. Also, some of the posts helped me to understand things a bit differently, more as perhaps my son sees things. I see these posts as bridges that help me connect with my son better.

I was very hesitant to post at first. I am learning disabled and have seen good LD sites overrun by, as we call non-learning disabled, NTs. Too many NTs can make a board lose its focus. You-all, however, have been so welcoming that I hope to continue to post. If the moderators ever feel to many non-AS'ers are posting, I will be more than happy to drop back into lurk mode.

I am the parent of two wonderful children. Both boys. The older turns 14 in two weeks. The younger posts in the children's forum.

Thank you for this site and the nice welcome feel of it.

BeeBee :)

PS---My son doesn't mind me posting here. That was the first thing I asked.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 2:36 pm

Welcome Beebee

Do not worry about being an NT. Those of us on the spectrum could use an NT to give us insight from time to time on things that NTs do that we do not get.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 3:02 pm

Welcome BeeBee! I agree with ljbouchard - I think I may have said something similar on the 'lurkers' thread myself lol... :D

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2005, 11:13 pm

I agree with Dunc and ljbouchard. In real life, NT's get frustrated when I ask too much about things I don't get. It is good to have input.

Welcome BeeBee! And to your son who posts but I don't know his user name.

Elfman's daily 'poor me' message, brought to you by "It's All About Me" free to air frequency.
Thankyou for you subscription!

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2005, 10:52 am

AS or HFA, your kids? Just curious, and
welcome to WrongPlanet.Net.

Ghosthunter

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2005, 11:13 am

Ghosthunter,

Based on what she wrote, I would guess Atypical Autism (PDD-NOS).

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2005, 5:02 pm

Thank you.

Yes, ghosthunter, D's been dx'ed with PDD-NOS. The school (incorrectly) calls it AS and so I tend to do so too.

D also has sensory intergation issues and a learning disability. My older son (J) has ADHD and a mild learning disability.

Never a dull moment at my house.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2005, 9:17 pm

I have academic texts, forum
data and I still find PDD-NOS A
mystery term. It is more mysterious
than AS and the vaguity that
psychology and psychiatry have
on that.

What exactly does he do that
could give some physical
example, not vague text.

hmmmm? just curious.
Ghosthunter

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2005, 8:04 am

I truely beleive PDD-NOS just means they were not sure where to put him.

Examples of his PDDness? Hmmmm....That's a bit hard for me. I see him as him. I accept his little quirks so much that I kind of forget that the rest of the world seems them as unusual. But, here goes....

...little eye contact with other than close family. When introducted to strangers he will hide behind me. Although people thought this was cute at 6 years of age, it is really starting to be a problem at 12.

...he's very easy going so normally will do as asked in school but, if he doesn't see the value in an assigment, he just won't do it.

...Very active places like the lunch room or the phy overwhelm him to the point where he freezes.

...When very, very stressed, he will stim by flapping his hands. This doesn't happen often though.

...Doesn't understand the little niceaties that others expect, like an answer to an indirect question, or regular showering.

...He does have interest (mythology is his big one) but knows when to stop talking about it. Usually.

...He is happiest by himself. Could read or play computer games all day long.

...He is uncordinated and walks with an odd gait.

...He holds his arms and hands at a wierd angle. He doesn't seem to have a good handle on how his body is connected.

I don't know how else to answer your question? I could also do a list of his strenghts! :D

aspaware
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2005, 2:10 pm

Hi beebee I'm NT some of the things you describe are just what my son used to be like when he was younger. He now has a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2005, 7:13 pm

[quote="BeeBee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

I don't know how else to answer your question?
I could also do a list of his strenghts! [/quote]

Thankyou, if you would. I find this
mystery of tems confusing be it
strengths and weaknesses in this
autism. I am intelligent, contridictions
and vaguities in the Psych' proffesions
can be confusing.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2005, 9:49 pm

Quote:
...little eye contact with other than close family. When introducted to strangers he will hide behind me. Although people thought this was cute at 6 years of age, it is really starting to be a problem at 12.

...he's very easy going so normally will do as asked in school but, if he doesn't see the value in an assigment, he just won't do it.

...Very active places like the lunch room or the phy overwhelm him to the point where he freezes.

...When very, very stressed, he will stim by flapping his hands. This doesn't happen often though.

...Doesn't understand the little niceaties that others expect, like an answer to an indirect question, or regular showering.

...He does have interest (mythology is his big one) but knows when to stop talking about it. Usually.

...He is happiest by himself. Could read or play computer games all day long.

...He is uncordinated and walks with an odd gait.

...He holds his arms and hands at a wierd angle. He doesn't seem to have a good handle on how his body is connected.

Oh boy!! ! That's ME!! ! Other than the showering thing (OCD fixes that) and the computer games, that's a dead-on description of myself. I have OCD, ADD, and AS. Maybe PDD-NOS is used when they're not sure what all someone has. I was 13 or 14 when I was diagnosed with AS.

Note: I also stopped hiding behind my parents at his age, he should get over it soon.