Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 11:14 pm

and I can feel my brain starting to freeze in the headlights. I'm going to be working nights as a cab driver. This will require me to be able to negotiate quickly the best routes to different parts of the city. I'm worried I won't be able to recall things (that I know) and will look like an idiot. I actually have a fairly good knowledge of the city, but I can get disoriented sometimes. Hopefully this will pass in time.
Anyway, I'm kinda freaking out. I wasn't expecting to start 'til next week, but a guy quit unexpectedly, so I'm up to bat. I write the test tomorrow morning and then meet my boss for training (I really really hope I pass the test.) Then start full time Wednesday. Good thing is the shifts will be consistent and I'll get weekends off.
This is the second time I've tried cab driving - the first was a total failure to launch. But a learning experience none the less.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:25 am

I wish you the best of luck :thumleft: your a better person than me to be able to do that. lord knows what would happen if I tried to be a taxi driver.

Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 3:05 am

Good luck. It's always hard starting a new job. There's a learning curve for everything. Expect to be embarrassed and look stupid at least once or twice; it's just part of the process unfortunately

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:29 am

Good luck. It might go better than you think. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 7:46 am

Will you be working for a car service? Or will you just pick up fares in the street?

I think you'll be all right, especially if you're working for a car service, and you don't have to go into the inner city much.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:54 pm

Thanks!

It is a service, so I have a licence and everything.

He's having me start tonight at 5pm, but because it's late notice, I can knock off whenever I run out of steam. And he says I should just focus on figuring things out, rather than how much money I make. So that's good even though it is a little unexpected. My mind is totally racing. I'm thinking: one step at a time, over and over. lol

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 12:31 pm

So I find taxi driving to be quite complex. There is all kinds of etiquette and slang in communication with dispatch. And the dispatchers can be a bit impatient.
Then there's the meter which is finicky.
All in all I'm a bit overwhelmed. Tonight I work from 4 to 4. The good thing is that I can book off and go home if I need a break. But there is a lot of sitting around and waiting. I think I will bring a book with me.
I totally feel a meltdown coming on - so it's only a matter of time before something sends me into tears. I'll keep trying though. I've had reactions like this before and gone on to be successful. And if not, so be it.
Sorry to go on but I'm so hyper I'm shaking and this helps.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 1:33 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
So I find taxi driving to be quite complex. There is all kinds of etiquette and slang in communication with dispatch. And the dispatchers can be a bit impatient.
Then there's the meter which is finicky.
All in all I'm a bit overwhelmed. Tonight I work from 4 to 4. The good thing is that I can book off and go home if I need a break. But there is a lot of sitting around and waiting. I think I will bring a book with me.
I totally feel a meltdown coming on - so it's only a matter of time before something sends me into tears. I'll keep trying though. I've had reactions like this before and gone on to be successful. And if not, so be it.
Sorry to go on but I'm so hyper I'm shaking and this helps.

Don't be sorry, it's overwhelming and it's going to dominate your thoughts until it becomes less so, feel free to share as much as you want.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:01 pm

Okay so, I totally suck at cab driving. Packed it in. My boss agreed with my reasons. But total serendipitously, my boss and I have hit it off. We're going to meet for a date tomorrow. : )

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:02 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Okay so, I totally suck at cab driving. Packed it in. My boss agreed with my reasons. But total serendipitously, my boss and I have hit it off. We're going to meet for a date tomorrow. : )

it's providence, I tell you!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:11 pm

Perhaps . . . I was such an awful driver. Back to the grocery store tomorrow to see if they'll take me back. It's looking a lot rosier now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:13 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Perhaps . . . I was such an awful driver. Back to the grocery store tomorrow to see if they'll take me back. It's looking a lot rosier now.

having a good mate takes the sting out of the rest of life.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:15 pm

So true. It makes such a difference to have someone whose got your back. Early days yet though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:17 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
So true. It makes such a difference to have someone whose got your back. Early days yet though.

take small steps, don't try to rush things, let it organically take its time. I hope you both can be authentic with each other and like it.