Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you Think People Choose their sexuality?
Yes I Do 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
No I Don't 92%  92%  [ 67 ]
Total votes : 73

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 11:33 am

cannotthinkoff wrote:
I don't experience sexual attraction much, so yeah, it being a choice kind of makes sense to me. But considering studies it appears that it is not a choice. Even if it was there's nothing wrong with it.

I guess it could appear that way to you if you are asexual or don't experience sexual attraction. Maybe it is similar for people who are bisexual and are equally or moderately attracted to both sexes. I'd say that there is no realistic choice in the matter if one is strongly straight or strongly gay. As a straight man I can't see anything remotely attractive about men, but women, especially younger women... woohoo. :lol: They get my brain cells fizzing.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm

No, it's not a choice, you are what you are.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 1:28 pm

Why would anyone chose to be gay? I mean, I'm sure some people would, but not 10% of the population, especially with all the hate it gets from society. I sure didn't chose to be straight.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 1:40 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
There's days when homosexual images flash through my mind,

Well, that explains a few things.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 1:44 pm

No...just no they did not choose to be gay. Abrihamic religious followers think otherwise and that it is a sin and bad bad bad evil and that mumbo jumbo.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 10:19 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Since it serves no beneficial purpose for human biology, those who accept "natural selection" would have to admit such a thing would never survive anyway. .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/1 ... 90501.html

My deviant art profile

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 1:41 am

Being attracted to people of the same gender is not a choice any more than being attracted to people of opposite gender. The choice is in whether or not to act on those desires. Just like you choose to approach a woman at a bar, gay people choose to act on their feelings. And that's okay. But it is a choice.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:30 am

I don't believe it's a choice. But in the past, and among individuals even today, because of social and family pressures gays have had to hide who they were, and live lives of heterosexuality, even though it's not their nature.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:53 am

I'm male.
I'm sexually attracted to women.
I'm not sexualy attracted to men.
I was born that way.

There have been times in my life when I've wished I was also sexually attracted to men.
I'm not, nor could I choose to be no matter how badly I wanted to be.

The way I figure it, gay, trans, bi, cis, straight, orientation in general isn't something we get to choose, it's something we're each born with and have to discover for ourselves.
Otherwise I'd imagine a lot of us would choose to be bi simply for the wider variety of potential partners.
We can't choose it though, only those lucky enough to be born that way get to be that way (greedy bastards ;b).

If straight people can't choose to be attracted to their gender, why would anyone think that gay people can choose to be attracted to the opposite gender or not be attracted to their own gender for that matter?

Logic shows us that the idea of sexual attraction as a choice is ridiculous and untenable on its face.
End of story. :roll:

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 12:36 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Sexuality is not a choice, it's something you're born with. Some people are born with an attraction to males, others with an attraction to females, and others still are born without any sort of sexual attraction. It's a natural thing, and not just something humans experience.
There is zero genetic evidence for homosexuality being hereditary. Since it serves no beneficial purpose for human biology, those who accept "natural selection" would have to admit such a thing would never survive anyway. Those whole argument of comparing us to animals goes in reverse, instead of admitting the possibility of us being made by a Creator beyond space, time, or materials.

There is a new idea in genetics that gay men carry a gene that, when present in females, results in a strong sexual attraction to men. This would explain it from a natural selection point of view. That particular gene would survive in the gene pool because it is of huge advantage in women. The side effect of it being in the gene pool is that if men inherit it, they become gay. The reverse would be true for lesbians.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:38 pm

I can't choose to be gay. My sister is gay. When she first came out, I tried to force myself to look at other men in a sexual manner just to see. I couldn't do it. It repulses me. So no, I can't choose to be gay.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

TheValk wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
TheValk wrote:
You may be pre-disposed to being attracted to the same sex, but you definitely do choose whether you act upon it or not.
Well duh, yes - just like heterosexuals decide to not try and jump into bed with absolutely anyone on the basis that they're the opposite sex.
What's your point?

The point is that everyone is responsible for their actions, so an appeal to a supposed determinism along the lines of "I can't do otherwise!" is irrelevant.

Irrelevent to WHAT????????????

The question is "is being homosexual a choice?".

You just strongly agreed that it is NOT a choice- that your born that way.

End of story.

Hows is that excess verbiage about "determinism" being "irrelevent" RELEVENT to the question?

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

End of story.

Hows is that excess verbiage about "determinism" being "irrelevent" RELEVENT to the question?

I was stating that the question itself was irrelevant (to anything really, namely as it is applied to the apologetics of homosexuality).

naturalplastic wrote:

Now this I didn't state, nor do I believe it, though I suspect that's partially true - nevertheless, it can still be taught, otherwise encouraged (or vice versa, suppressed) or even forced, and the ways in which you could develop seemingly suddenly appear highly complex and not limited to any single rule. Doesn't seem right to simplify it like that.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:29 pm

TheValk wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

End of story.

I was stating that the question itself was irrelevant (to anything really, namely as it is applied to the apologetics of homosexuality).

naturalplastic wrote:

Now this I didn't state, nor do I believe it, though I suspect that's partially true - nevertheless, it can still be taught, otherwise encouraged (or vice versa, suppressed) or even forced, and the ways in which you could develop seemingly suddenly appear highly complex and not limited to any single rule. Doesn't seem right to simplify it like that.

There is no need for an apologetics of homosexuality. It's quite fine and dandy.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:36 pm

Hopper wrote:
TheValk wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

End of story.

naturalplastic wrote:

There is no need for an apologetics of homosexuality. It's quite fine and dandy.

No need to invent unnecessary invalid and incorrect/questionable arguments in its defence then?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

This is starting to seem like harassment of Valk. He doesn't want to say it, and you should stop trying to make him say it. Not saying it is at least a start.

At the same time, let's stop beating around the bush and run the numbers, clicky