Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:26 am

A great article about how to choose a life partner

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/02/pick-life-partner.html

Highlights:

Quote:
→ Society rushes us.

In our world, the major rule is to get married before you’re too old—and “too old” varies from 25 – 35, depending on where you live. The rule should be “whatever you do, don’t marry the wrong person,” but society frowns much more upon a 37-year-old single person than it does an unhappily married 37-year-old with two children. It makes no sense—the former is one step away from a happy marriage, while the latter must either settle for permanent unhappiness or endure a messy divorce just to catch up to where the single person is.

Quote:
→ Society encourages us to stay uneducated and let romance be our guide.

If you’re running a business, conventional wisdom states that you’re a much more effective business owner if you study business in school, create well thought-out business plans, and analyze your business’s performance diligently. This is logical, because that’s the way you proceed when you want to do something well and minimize mistakes.

But if someone went to school to learn about how to pick a life partner and take part in a healthy relationship, if they charted out a detailed plan of action to find one, and if they kept their progress organized rigorously in a spreadsheet, society says they’re A) an over-rational robot, B) way too concerned about this, and C) a huge weirdo.

don't miss the Part 2 http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/02/pick-life ... art-2.html

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 10:05 am

As if it isnt hard enough meeting anyone, what impossible odds must it be to meet the right one!

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 11:56 am

I dunno. I think...well, this sounds like it was written by a young person. Older people seem to face little stigma, at least from each other, when they do what they feel, so long as they're not awful to their kids in the process. I don't think anyone expects Grandma not to date, but if she doesn't want to, that's cool too.

I think the early-adulthood stuff is really just about having kids, because it's true, there are limits, even if you're a guy. (I know a guy in his 60s with a second family, kids ages 5-13, and man, it's tough on him. He's old, he's tired, and even though he's retired, those kids are a lot of work. His wife worries about the kids going through adult life without a dad. And I get that. She and I are middle-aged now, and we're responsible for families; we're the grownups, we know how to take care of stuff, and when our parents die, we're sort of ready. I think it's been much harder for friends whose parents died early.) And it is much easier to have kids within a partnered/married context.

I think also this idea of a "life partner"...eh, this is something for young people. If you happen to get one, that's great, but most people wind up single or divorced, with a series of partners. Which makes sense. People change as they go through life, what they find important changes, what they want changes.

So yeah, I agree with the "marry early if you want kids" thing. You can get divorced later -- it sucks, but unless you married someone horrible it's only a year out of your life, and that's with kids/custody involved -- but your parenthood window doesn't last forever.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 12:27 pm

leafplant wrote:
A great article about how to choose a life partner

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/02/pick-life-partner.html

Highlights:

Quote:
→ Society rushes us.

In our world, the major rule is to get married before you’re too old—and “too old” varies from 25 – 35, depending on where you live. The rule should be “whatever you do, don’t marry the wrong person,” but society frowns much more upon a 37-year-old single person than it does an unhappily married 37-year-old with two children. It makes no sense—the former is one step away from a happy marriage, while the latter must either settle for permanent unhappiness or endure a messy divorce just to catch up to where the single person is.

Quote:
→ Society encourages us to stay uneducated and let romance be our guide.

If you’re running a business, conventional wisdom states that you’re a much more effective business owner if you study business in school, create well thought-out business plans, and analyze your business’s performance diligently. This is logical, because that’s the way you proceed when you want to do something well and minimize mistakes.

But if someone went to school to learn about how to pick a life partner and take part in a healthy relationship, if they charted out a detailed plan of action to find one, and if they kept their progress organized rigorously in a spreadsheet, society says they’re A) an over-rational robot, B) way too concerned about this, and C) a huge weirdo.

don't miss the Part 2 http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/02/pick-life ... art-2.html

This is really good....both parts. Definitely worth reading and thinking about. I really, really, really liked the Traffic Test. :)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm

Image That sums it all up right there im now the guy on the staircase! :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 1:21 pm

^ Read the article.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 1:31 pm

smudge wrote:
^ Read the article.
ok ok I will :lol: :lol: sorry I get hyper!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 3:51 pm

Déja vu.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm

^ Ewww.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 8:46 pm

the article claims that choosing a life partner is entirely within your control.

Um, no. No, it's not.

It's at least equally dependent upon a hypothetical other person, and whether they want you as well. If such a person does not exist, it's ENTIRELY out of your hands.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:00 pm

Ok I read the article great article and good advice.

starrynightmare
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2014, 10:26 pm

Great article. I'm definitely that huge weirdo who tries to find a partner methodically. I do want to raise kids with a husband, which makes my choice of partner infinitely important and difficult. Arg. 8O

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2014, 2:50 am

I met my husband before I learned of my ASD but he loves me none the less.

I just wish there was more understanding towards my quarks, I think if he met me knowing of my ASD before hand it would be easier for him to take them more seriously.

We have been married 7 years and together 8, so it is hard for him to see me differently I guess.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 4:05 am

Quote:
I just wish there was more understanding towards my quarks

Well, considering that protons and neutrons are made from quark particles (as well as lepton particles also), and when all matter in the universe consists of protons and neutrons... that's pretty bad if he lacks tolerance of your quarks.

That would be like, "I don't comprehend you even on a sub-microscopic level".

Let's hear some love for quarks !
:thumright:

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 12:50 pm

LoveforLoki wrote:
I met my husband before I learned of my ASD but he loves me none the less.

Thats lovely, I wish everybody here could be loved.
Iam off to Sweden next week to see my lovely Sister and my two lovely nieces.