Veteran
Veteran

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm

Quote:
http://m.startribune.com/?id=254821821

2) I have a distinct memory that our teacher didn’t like Raymond. This certainly does not excuse our behavior, but upon reflection it seems that her unhidden disdain for him gave us kids a bit of permission. God bless those teachers who recognize the children who are having a hard time and don’t contribute to it.

Yes, the adult authority often models exclusionary behavior.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

I've had my share of teachers and profs who made no secret of their disdain for me, which contributed to a toxic classroom atmosphere for me.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 5:20 pm

Bullying is extremely common in middle school. I had a couple friends who picked on this one guy for wearing "save the whale shirts" and hanging out with the yard duty. I didn't join in but I didn't try to stop their behavior either. Looking back on it, I should have spoken up but I wanted to "fit in" so I stayed silent. My friends were not bad people. Just... well, I don't know, didn't realize what they were doing.

Looking back on it, some of my teachers were bullies. I think one way to prevent bullying is to teach children to think for themselves and question authority. Also the obvious - don't hire as*holes for teachers. But when children are told that their teachers should always be respected, they are being taught to respect people in authority who perhaps may not be good people and this sends confusing messages.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 2:29 pm

Bullying I blame totally on the adults. Forget what the kids did, but who's letting them do it??

The Culprits:
1. Parents - bad parenting, family problems, abuse, etc
2. Teachers - lack of control, just collecting government union check, could honestly care less of a student's well-being or not acquainted with culture, or just a jerk overall.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 2:42 pm

bullying energies happens when good adults do nothing to stop it or redirect it.