Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2014, 10:51 pm

In the fall I'm starting a 2 year masters program away from home (where I live with my mom). I did really awful when I tried living in the dorms before. My family wants me to live on campus but I want to live nearby off campus. I don't do well with large groups of people, like in a dorm, even if I'll have a single room this time because of the AS.

Also living on campus requires me to have a meal plan, and the cheapest plan is $100 a week. Since I'm paying for this myself, holy hell that's so much money. I can feed myself for a month and a half on that.

Secondly I love cooking and not being able to do that living in a dorm would totally suck. I don't know if I could handle it. That is my release, my relaxation, and making yeast breads is definitely my obsessive interests.

I don't know what to do. Living in the dorms would probably have more support for my AS (I have underdeveloped independent living skills but I'm learning) but I don't know. I don't know if I can be happy without making bread every weekend.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 7:04 am

So, don't live in a dorm. Preferably, find a roommate who is largely compatible with your AS needs.

"Room and board" with schools is such a ripoff.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2014, 7:25 am

It's really hard for me to assert myself. I've spent 2 years saving from my low paying job so I could pay to livve off campus. My parents are really concerned this will just be experience #1 all over again but that was 8 years ago.