Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ShotgunRider
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

I don't smoke and have never done it. I've just never felt tempted to do it. NTs start it usually because of peer pressure. However, I have Asperger's, thus the idea of fitting in socially is irrelevant to me (I'm not trolling, this is just the way I see things).
My classmates have often tried to convince me to try a cigarette. but failed every time. I find it easy to refuse it, in fact it doesn't take me any willpower.
Anyway, I've never understood the point of smoking. It's an expensive habit which destroys your health. It makes no sense to me.
So, are people with ASDs less likely to smoke? Do you smoke?

Last edited by ShotgunRider on 20 Apr 2014, 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 2:11 pm

Only when we're on fire.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 2:55 pm

ShotgunRider wrote:
I don't smoke and have never done it. I've just never felt tempted to do it. NTs start it usually because of peer pressure. However, I have Asperger's, thus the idea of fitting in socially is irrelevant to me (I'm not trolling, this is just the way I see things).
My classmates have often tried to convince me to try a cigarette. but failed every time. I find it easy to refuse that, in fact it doesn't take me any willpower.
Anyway, I've never understood the point of smoking. It's an expensive habit which destroys your health. It makes no sense to me.

Are people with ASDs more likely to start threads, just to judge and bash other human beings for things they themselves don't care for, that are none of their damn business? Let's hope not.

If your classmates are trying to get you to do something, you're in a class full of twits. Not everybody who smokes takes it up because of peer pressure, some of us don't have enough respect for most of our peer group, to let them bully us into something.

You know what? You don't have to "understand" why other people choose to live their lives the way they do. If it's not your cup of tea, then just don't do it, it's that simple. Looking down your nose at others' personal choices is not an admirable quality. And here's a thought you should carry with you for the rest of your life:

Non-Smokers. Die. Every. Day.
8O

No matter how many cigarettes or cigars or bowls of pipe tobacco you avoid, no matter how far away you stay from people who smoke (gods' forbid you get a whiff of "secondhand smoke" and fall dead on the spot), no matter how many vegetables you eat or how much water you drink or how much you exercise - you're going to die and there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop it, and you do not get to choose when it will happen. You could pop a brain aneurysm while you're reading this. You could get hit by a bus crossing the street tomorrow. You could slip in the shower next week and crack your skull. You could develop testicular cancer, or pancreatic cancer, or breast cancer - hell, you could even develop lung cancer, having never been near a cigarette in your life, were you aware of that?

In fact, if you look at it in terms of Quantum Mechanics, you're already dead and decomposing at some indeterminate point in the future, you just haven't caught up to the corpse yet. Maybe you should quit wasting your time analyzing and judging what other people are doing and get busy enjoying however much time you have left to experience things on this planet, because you can't know how soon your train is going to get to the end of it's track, and whether it will slow down to a peaceful stop, or run smack into a brick wall is anybody's guess. :wink:

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

Willard wrote:
ShotgunRider wrote:
My classmates have often tried to convince me to try a cigarette. but failed every time. I find it easy to refuse that, in fact it doesn't take me any willpower.

Are people with ASDs more likely to start threads, just to judge and bash other human beings for things they themselves don't care for, that are none of their damn business? Let's hope not.

If your classmates are trying to get you to do something, you're in a class full of twits. Not everybody who smokes takes it up because of peer pressure, some of us don't have enough respect for most of our peer group, to let them bully us into something.

You know what? You don't have to "understand" why other people choose to live their lives the way they do. If it's not your cup of tea, then just don't do it, it's that simple. Looking down your nose at others' personal choices is not an admirable quality. And here's a thought you should carry with you for the rest of your life:

8O

No matter how many cigarettes or cigars or bowls of pipe tobacco you avoid, no matter how far away you stay from people who smoke (gods' forbid you get a whiff of "secondhand smoke" and fall dead on the spot), no matter how many vegetables you eat or how much water you drink or how much you exercise - you're going to die and there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop it, and you do not get to choose when it will happen. You could pop a brain aneurysm while you're reading this. You could get hit by a bus crossing the street tomorrow. You could slip in the shower next week and crack your skull. You could develop testicular cancer, or pancreatic cancer, or breast cancer - hell, you could even develop lung cancer, having never been near a cigarette in your life, were you aware of that?

In fact, if you look at it in terms of Quantum Mechanics, you're already dead and decomposing at some indeterminate point in the future, you just haven't caught up to the corpse yet. Maybe you should quit wasting your time analyzing and judging what other people are doing and get busy enjoying however much time you have left to experience things on this planet, because you can't know how soon your train is going to get to the end of it's track, and whether it will slow down to a peaceful stop, or run smack into a brick wall is anybody's guess. :wink:

Yes, but it is our business. A smoker is stabbing us in the lungs with millions of tiny knives every time they light up. You might think it's nothing, but my lungs close up when this happens. You have no right to do that, and you ought to be prevented from doing so. Suffocation is not a minor inconvenience . :shameonyou:

Vaporizer's should have solved this issue. Why aren't smoker's using them?

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 3:46 pm

Stannis wrote:
Willard wrote:
ShotgunRider wrote:

8O

Yes, but it is our business. A smoker is stabbing us in the lungs with millions of tiny knives every time they light up. You might think it's nothing, but my lungs close up when this happens. You have no right to do that, and you ought to be prevented from doing so. Suffocation is not a minor inconvenience . :shameonyou:

Vaporizer's should have solved this issue. Why aren't smoker's using them?

Car-drivers are poisoning my lungs every day, and I'd rather be in a closed space like a closed garage with one person smoking than one person in a car letting the engine run.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

Eloa wrote:

Car-drivers are poisoning my lungs every day, and I'd rather be in a closed space like a closed garage with one person smoking than one person in a car letting the engine run.

I think that you are subtly saying that I am morally equivalent to a smoker because I drive. There are a few problems with that:

1- I don't drive, I ride my bike to work.
2- I don't like the fossil fuel industry, and advocate renewables.
3- I don't like to stand around cars with their motor running either, nor do I inflict it on other people.
4- The cars outside don't result in my being lethargic at best, and hospitalised at worst. The people smoking around me do. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3590578.stm5
5- Why can't smoker's just use a vaporizor?

Note to smokers: Please stop making excuses your behaviour which you know is wrong, and you can easily control by using a vaporizor. The only reason you aren't
in jail for being junkies and inflicting death onto others is because of our corrupt legislators getting paid off by the criminal tobacco lobby.

Last edited by Stannis on 20 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:04 pm

Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I'd rather get kicked in the head, than shot in the head. What's your point?

I think her point was pretty obvious. People complain about a cigarette, but they don't complain about things all around them that poison them 100 times worse than secondhand cigarette smoke.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I'd rather get kicked in the head, than shot in the head. What's your point?

I think her point was pretty obvious. People complain about a cigarette, but they don't complain about things all around them that poison them 100 times worse than secondhand cigarette smoke.

Thank you Rascal77s, that is my point.
The load of toxins from other sources like cars are much more polluting environment and me as part of the environment than a cigarette.
That's why I said I'd rather be in a closed space with a person smoking than a person letting a car engine run, in the first option after a while I can maybe feel sick, but in the other option I'd be dead.
And I can walk away from someone smoking if I choose to but I cannot walk away from the everyday pollution of many someone's driving a car.
But of course I understand that driving is a part of many peoples live, so I won't judge them.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 20 Apr 2014, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:22 pm

Maybe... ASD individuals do smoke, often the elevate a raft of symptoms, not just tobacco either...

Otherwise there's studies that prove there's lower uptake of smokers compared to other disorders and the normal populations. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 8103001239 (The study is Pay-walled but the given conclusion abstract is given)

For me, I will not smoke for any reason, never to fit in and often the smoke itself is uncomfortable to experience and often triggers migraines after long durations of exposure to second hand smoke. It's not worth making any friends that insisted I must be able to smoke, not worth the pain.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Bookmaker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2014, 4:40 pm

I am a former smoker (6 years free). After I quit, my sensory issues became much worse. Doing some research, I found that nicotine can be used to improve sensory gating. I'd rather deal with the noise and glare than start smoking again though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:51 pm

Aspies are just as likely to smoke as everyone else. I chose not to smoke and drink, because I wish to be healthy.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:58 pm

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
[b][size=15][color=#4B0082]Maybe... ASD individuals do smoke, often the elevate a raft of symptoms, not just tobacco either...

Otherwise there's studies that prove there's lower uptake of smokers compared to other disorders and the normal populations. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 8103001239 (The study is Pay-walled but the given conclusion abstract is given)

Interesting study.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:04 pm

Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I think that you are subtly saying that I am morally equivalent to a smoker because I drive. There are a few problems with that:

1- I don't drive, I ride my bike to work.
2- I don't like the fossil fuel industry, and advocate renewables.
3- I don't like to stand around cars with their motor running either, nor do I inflict it on other people.
4- The cars outside don't result in my being lethargic at best, and hospitalised at worst. The people smoking around me do. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3590578.stm5
5- Why can't smoker's just use a vaporizor?

Note to smokers: Please stop making excuses your behaviour which you know is wrong, and you can easily control by using a vaporizor. The only reason you aren't
in jail for being junkies and inflicting death onto others is because of our corrupt legislators getting paid off by the criminal tobacco lobby.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:08 pm

Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I think that you are subtly saying that I am morally equivalent to a smoker because I drive.

No, I did not say it.
I was answering to your statement and had no personal information about you.
And you changed your posting somehow.
Whatever it means.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:12 pm

Eloa wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I think that you are subtly saying that I am morally equivalent to a smoker because I drive.

No, I did not say it.
Whatever it means.

Yes, I tend to edit a lot. Once I edited a post 40 times. Either I write something that I later realise is not 100% accurate, I realise that it is stupid, or I edit for clarity.

I should probably point out that 90% of the people I know are smokers, so it is not that I hate smokers. If I did I would have to hate my friends, my parents etc. I just think that smokers are jerks.

Last edited by Stannis on 20 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm

Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:

No, I did not say it.
Whatever it means.

Yes, I tend to edit a lot. Once I edited a post 40 times. Either I write something that I later realise is not 100% accurate, I realise that it is stupid, or I edit for clarity.

I should probably point out that 90% of the people I know are smokers, so it is not that I hate smokers. If I did I would have to hate my friends, my parents etc. I just think that smokers are jerks.

It is not wrong to edit for clarity,
but is confusing,
but I do not imply that you hate smokers,
I just based on the argument,
and I do not understand in terms of doing harm to other people' s health,
that people driving a car should be less harming than people smoking a cigarette,
(this is my interpretation based on your arguments, but I realize that I make it up based upon your arguments)
but you do not drive as well,
but do you then think that people driving a car are jerks as well?