Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 8:30 pm

study of emotions. Interesting findings

http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and-rea ... se-in-need

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 8:46 pm

And the scene from the end of Schindler's List (which admittedly some people found unrealistic, but which I liked a lot!)

Quote:

http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and-rea ... se-in-need

The introduction of the research paper quotes a scene from the end of the movie Schindler’s List. Oskar Schindler, the World War Two German industrialist who has risked his life saving hundreds of Jews from slaughter, takes off his Nazi pin and says “This pin. Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would have given me two for it, at least one. One more person…and I didn’t! And I…I didn’t”. That is the Drop in the Bucket feeling of not being able to help enough. But it didn’t keep him from helping, a lot. As the movie closes, Schindler is given a gold ring by the 1,100 people he did save, inscribed with the saying from the Jewish Talmud “whoever saves one life saves the world entire.”

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 10:25 pm

thanks for sharing this. I shared on facebook.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 10:45 pm

And speaking of kiddos and others in refugee camps, a true miracle of the last 30 years has been the promotion of oral rehydration therapy (ORT), which really should be basic first aid information.

THE TREATMENT OF DIARRHOEA: A manual for physicians and other senior health workers, World Health Organization, 2005.
http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2 ... 593180.pdf

Check it out, parts of it are a lot more readable than you may think. For example, see page 9 (13 in PDF).

They're talking about unsalted rice water, salted rice water, unsalted vegetable soup, salted soup, weak tea, and other fluids mothers feel acceptable for a child with diarrhea, with the goal being a modest amount of sugar and salt. And the goal being to start early and often to hopefully prevent dehydration in the first place.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 12:56 am

And from page 12 (16 in PDF):

" . . Vomiting often occurs during the first hour or two of treatment, especially when children drink the solution too quickly, but this rarely prevents successful oral rehydration since most of the fluid is absorbed. After this time vomiting usually stops. If the child vomits, wait 5-10 minutes and then start giving ORS solution again, but more slowly (e.g. a spoonful every 2-3 minutes)."

This whole approach was originally developed to treat child and adult victims of cholera.