Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Catarina935
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

Hi everyone!

I've finally decided to register in this forum. I am a 38-year-old Spanish woman, although I'm currently living in Southern France. I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome nine years ago, after years of knowing, rather than suspecting, that something was wrong with me.
At the moment I don't have much of a social life, and that doesn't help me to have a decent level of spoken French. I'm still trying, anyway.
In my free time I like watching horror films and documentaries about the paranormal -although I'm very skeptical about all that! :lol:

I hope to make new friends around here. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:43 pm

Do you have any connection to the Basque ethnic group?

I've been to Catalyuna (just below the Pyrenees). I've been to the town of Olot and the city of Barcelona.

Do you think the land is less fertile in Catalyuna than that of Southern France (Provence?) I've seen pictures of Provence--C'est Magnifique!

Catalyuna seems all right--but not really lustrous and fertile.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 6:20 pm

Bienvenidos a Mal Planeta!

{Lo siento, mi Espanol es horrible! :wink: }

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 8:40 am

No worries. You won't need French when the Zombie Apocalypse starts. Parle Vous Blam! Blam! :lol:

Catarina935
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2014, 2:07 pm

Hi all, and thanks for the welcome! :D

@kraftiekortie - No, I don't have any Basque ancestry -at least to my knowledge. :?:
@AnonymousAnonymous - I'm sure your Spanish is better than my French. ;)
@Toy_Soldier - I'm glad I've had an intensive training in "Left 4 Dead 2". :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 2:11 pm

Do you know the Town of Olot?

I hope you enjoy your time here, Catarina.

Do you speak Catalan at all? I've read a little bit of it, and found it somewhat closer to French than Spanish.

What are you REALLY interested in?

Catarina935
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2014, 4:26 pm

@kraftiekortie, I was raised in central Spain and I have only visited Catalonia a couple of times -I stayed in Barcelona and in Tortosa. I don't speak Catalan, but if I'm spoken to slowly I understand it, since it's similar to Castilian Spanish -and to Occitan, a language which is spoken in certain parts of Southern France.

Right now I can't say I have a single strong interest, although I love watching horror films and documentaries about the paranormal -while being completely skeptical about all that! :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 5:26 pm

LOL...You've come to the right place, then. Lots of people here are into horror films and the paranormal.

So that means you lived closer to Madrid than Barcelona?

One thing I remember about reading up on Spain, though I've never experienced it: There's this bull which seems to show up on highways in the background.

I'm also glad you weren't around during the time of Francisco Franco.

Catarina935
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2014, 5:37 am

Yes, I was raised in the region of Castilla La Mancha, so Catalonia has always been at a longer drive from home than Madrid. ;)

About that bull, it's known as "el toro de Osborne" (the Osborne bull). Originally it was an advertising board for the Osborne "Veterano" brandy and you could find them nearly in every road. After a law that prohibited advertising on roads to avoid distractions for drivers, there was a kid of social movement to preserve the well-known silhouette, so a few of them were spared after removing the text of the ad.
This silhouette has somehow become the unofficial "coat of arms" in the Spanish flag.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 8:31 am

Gracias, Catarina :D

Catarina935
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2014, 11:26 am

¡De nada! :D (= you're welcome!)