Got contacted by company, possible dream job.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 10:34 am

MissDorkness wrote:
Totally understandable. Oh, you can't worry like that, that one hiring manager isn't the same as all of the other ones out there.

Yeah. And I think this company in particular is very picky.

MissDorkness wrote:
No, that's the one I was passed over for, for lack of real world experience.
I could pick out the right fields and their names from the database and had the general structure of the query patched together, but, I forgot the step of adding a left outer join.

I feel this is one of the situation where the interviewer should give a little hint that you are forgetting something.

But yeah, interviews are hard.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm

morslilleole wrote:
MissDorkness wrote:
Totally understandable. Oh, you can't worry like that, that one hiring manager isn't the same as all of the other ones out there.

Yeah. And I think this company in particular is very picky.

MissDorkness wrote:
No, that's the one I was passed over for, for lack of real world experience.
I could pick out the right fields and their names from the database and had the general structure of the query patched together, but, I forgot the step of adding a left outer join.

I feel this is one of the situation where the interviewer should give a little hint that you are forgetting something.

But yeah, interviews are hard.

Ah, that's good to know... and still a compliment to have gotten that far in the process, imho.

They did, actually, but, by the time we got to that point, I'd gotten nervous about taking 'too long' in my head about understanding the question, so, by the time we got to them looking it over and trying to guide the question out of me, my mind was just a total blank.
HA, I actually went home, rewrote the query to be correct, and added a bit of extra code to validate the answer, and sent that back in with my thank you note. :lol:

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:02 pm

MissDorkness wrote:
Ah, that's good to know... and still a compliment to have gotten that far in the process, imho.

Well it was only the first interview so it's not all that great =P

MissDorkness wrote:
They did, actually, but, by the time we got to that point, I'd gotten nervous about taking 'too long' in my head about understanding the question, so, by the time we got to them looking it over and trying to guide the question out of me, my mind was just a total blank.
HA, I actually went home, rewrote the query to be correct, and added a bit of extra code to validate the answer, and sent that back in with my thank you note. :lol:

I did the same thing with one of the questions I got in the interview. I only needed a small modification to make it correct. I didn't send it though. =P

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

morslilleole wrote:
Well it was only the first interview so it's not all that great =P

I did the same thing with one of the questions I got in the interview. I only needed a small modification to make it correct. I didn't send it though. =P

;) Tell that to all the folks in here who've said they apply and apply and never even get a call back. It's rough. (I'd say I applied for hundreds of jobs in the 7 years I was trying to move, and got maybe a dozens calls back, and maybe the same number of automatic acknowledgements that my application was received.)

Ah, nice to know it's not just me. :lol: I'll admit that I debated a long time about whether or not to include it. I really felt like such a dweeb for doing so... but, wanted to prove I could do it.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm

MissDorkness wrote:
;) Tell that to all the folks in here who've said they apply and apply and never even get a call back. It's rough. (I'd say I applied for hundreds of jobs in the 7 years I was trying to move, and got maybe a dozens calls back, and maybe the same number of automatic acknowledgements that my application was received.)

That makes me feel a little better. And I didn't even apply, I got contacted because of LinkedIn and GitHub. =D

I also got a call back from an application I sent. They specified Masters degree in the ad, but they contacted me, even though I only have a Bachelors degree. I think GitHub and my blog helped that.

And yes, I know the replies all too well. Someone should ban use of the sentence "We regret to inform you..."

MissDorkness wrote:
Ah, nice to know it's not just me. :lol: I'll admit that I debated a long time about whether or not to include it. I really felt like such a dweeb for doing so... but, wanted to prove I could do it.

It's what engineers do ; solve problems even when we don't have to.

If it happens again, I'll send it back too. Just as an attachment or something. To show them what they're missing out on!