Got a question about co-morbidity associated with Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:48 am

As stated on another there I'm new here late last year I finally got a correct diagnoses of Autism Spectrum Disorder since then I've been doing research on other issues I have and am wondering if they are related with Autism from what I've seen I think have what is called Dysgraphia which as I believe it to be a deficit in handwriting as well coherence sentence forming. Until the computer age when I would write something 9 times out of 10 it would be all over the place no matter how I tried to keep things uniformed it ended up as a mess not to mention my hand would get sore after a short time writing.

Another issue I *think* I may be borderline dyslexic when I go to spell something normally I'm off by a letter or I miss place a letter within a word likewise when I read a book sometimes I have to re-read a word over and over before I can make sense out of it or when I use to write on paper I would sometimes use incorrect letter when spelling a word like dog I would write bog likewise boy would be doy.

Does anybody on here have the same issues or know if Dysgraphia and/or Dyslexia is indeed co-morbidity associated with Autism

Thanks in advance.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:00 am

dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties such as dysgraphia and dyscalculia do officialy have comorbidity with ASD;in particular aspergers/HFA,those of us on the low functioning spectrum [ie;those of us with intelectual disability] are harder to diagnose as such because we already have a global functioning/learning disability].

dyslexia is probably the most common 'attachment' to HFA besides ADHD.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2014, 4:01 am

Yes, learning disorders are very common with ASD's.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:26 am

How would I go about getting tested for Dysgraphia and/or Dyslexia would it even be worth the money or be of any benefit to me?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:44 am

in addition to my autism, i've got like every dys there is. Dysgraphia, dyslexia, dyscalcula, dyspraxia...
Here's a sample of my writing i did for another forum recently:

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:50 am

EzraS wrote:
in addition to my autism, i've got like every dys there is. Dysgraphia, dyslexia, dyscalcula, dyspraxia...
Here's a sample of my writing i did for another forum recently:

That's a hell of a lot better then my hand writing.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:54 am

JoelFan wrote:
How would I go about getting tested for Dysgraphia and/or Dyslexia would it even be worth the money or be of any benefit to me?

what age and country are in?
the process depends on age and the country but we have got people from all over the place on here so one of us will be able to advise on how to go about it.

this is just own opinion but woud recommend saving up money so are not left without to get assessed because it will help with getting accomodations at jobs/further education as well as general understanding in society.

theres a number of things available for dyslexia;for example coloured sheets that go over the top of writing so it stops things moving but the colours depend on the individual so it really needs assessing,am not sure if will need an OT or pysch for that part though.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:57 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
JoelFan wrote:

what age and country are in?
the process depends on age and the country but we have got people from all over the place on here so one of us will be able to advise on how to go about it.

this is just own opinion but woud recommend saving up money so are not left without to get assessed because it will help with getting accomodations at jobs/further education as well as general understanding in society.

theres a number of things available for dyslexia;for example coloured sheets that go over the top of writing so it stops things moving but the colours depend on the individual so it really needs assessing,am not sure if will need an OT or pysch for that part though.

Sorry I should have started off with the Basic info 33 US Metro Atlanta area I know just to get a basic screening for Autism was 300 dollars out of pocket which included the following ADOS-2 and SRS-2 and an adult Self report form

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 12:50 pm

Man - where do I start:

Possible conditions comorbid with HFA / Aspergers:
- anxiety disorder
- depression
- obsessive compulsive disorder
- Irlen syndrome (a form of dyslexia - look it up - it's why traffic signs will look blurry if you have it)
- dyslexia
- dyspraxia
- hyperacusis / tinnitus (your hearing is so dialed up that your head is ringing half to time - Mozart had it)
- sensory overload disorder
- celiac disease / gluten intolerance
- casein (milk protein) intlolerance
- salicylate interlorance (tree nuts / aspirin)
- IBS
- migraine headache
- congenital deformities of the skeletal system
- blood disorders / anemia

Those are just the cormorbid things I have that the doctors believe is tied back to my autism.

I'm sure others will list other cormorbid items....

:D

zette
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:28 pm

The National Center for Learning Disorders at ncld.org has a lot of good info on various disorders.

At age 33 they'd probably just suggest you keyboard as much as possible instead of writing to accommodate the dysgraphia. I think there are some software programs that help organize the content of writing, but I don't know specifically.

Letter reversals aren't actually much of a marker for dyslexia. It's really severe difficulty in learning to read, and then lifelong having a much slower reading speed than typical. A diagnosis might get you access to free audio books, and extra time on any kind of written test you have to take for your employment. There isn't one "gold standard" test. I know of some that are used with children (not sure about adults): GORT-5 (Gray Oral Reading Test) and the CTOPP (comprehensive test of phonological processing.) Dyslexia is primarily considered to be a disorder in the brain's ability to perceive sounds within words and link them to text.

There are also problems with vision (tracking, teaming, convergence) and visual processing in the brain (visual memory, discrimination, etc.) that can affect reading. These can be tested for by a developmental optometrist, and they have vision therapy to help build these skills, but it's considered somewhat alternative and doesn't have as much research to back it up. See covd.org to find a practitioner.

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2014, 2:32 pm

I think that autism, dyslexia and dysgraphia share the same genes, but with different symptoms. As a child before I was diagnosed with autism, I was tested for dyslexia because I wrote all of my letters backwards. It turned out that I don't have it.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:50 pm

I have a lot of symptoms of dyslexia, (letter/number reversal, spelling and reading problems, difficulty with right/left,) but I've never received an official diagnosis. Some of my extended family members are diagnosed with it though.