Can guy with AS be friends with a girl with AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MonsterGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2014, 10:56 am

I feel like I'm just going to screw things up like I always do. We're not going to be going to the same school for awhile, so we'll keep in touch through email, and if she's shows interest (such as by asking me about my day or my interests) I'll ask for her phone number eventually. But like I said, I keep worrying that I'll screw things up. I feel like I'm probably just gonna be in for disappointment. What should I do?

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 12:45 pm

Don't see why not, although seems like it would depend on the individual people involved, regardless of diagnoses...

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2014, 3:37 pm

I'm sure its possible. I am autistic, and I am friends with a guy who is autistic like me. When we first met, he didn't know that I was and I didn't know he was either. He ended up telling me, then later I told him, and we have stayed friends since then.

gigstalksguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jun 2014, 2:07 pm

Why do you think you're going to screw things up? Is it because of how you screwed things up in the past or bad experiences?

I would suggest that you put yourself in your friend's position and offer value to them in the way you would want someone to give value to you. Show genuine interest and be a good listener. Ask how you can be of help to her.

Also have a think about what sort of friendship you want to maintain. Any common passions, interests or activities?

Whatever you do, don't just not keep in touch for fear it'll go wrong. If you want to remain friends then go for it! :D

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2014, 7:38 pm

Yeah, I think it would boil down to compatibility and personalities rather than AS but it's entirely possible. My best friend is a girl and while she's not AS, she has some traits of it. :P

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 7:06 pm

Well, I'm friends with a guy on the spectrum and we have different points of view, (he thinks more realistically than me, while I sometimes consider myself to have the mind of a child).

I don't see why it wouldn't work. :?